Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Funny how everyone worries about the propane tanks, when they're sitting on even a BIGGER bomb.... the fuel tank of the vehicle...
You'll have a tough time hitting my gas tank by coming through 37 feet of travel trailer. Actually propane tanks are bombs and gas tanks are not. LP becomes a gas vapor instantaneously when escaping and covers a larger area and faster.
Gasoline in liquid form doesn't burn, only it's vapors will and while just as dangerous as a flame, it tends to not explode (since it's not under pressure) as LP tanks are known to do.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #22

This discussion brought back a memory of a dirty trick my dad used to play on people.

When gassing up back in the 60's it was common for folks to smoke while fueling the rig. As a young boy, I lectured my dad on this practice (mistake) which he did not appreciate. He had an old empty quart paint can in the back of the pickup, pulled it out filled it with gas (when it was 30 cents a gallon), then proceeded to put his cigarette out in the can.

Needless to say the discussion ended there. I am sure there is some physics lesson for me in that. Consequently, I have never smoked.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I admit that I'm only repeating what I have heard! It's hard to find actual state regulations all compiled in one place regarding this issue. 😄
I've spent some time researching this, and could not find ANY state in the US that bans driving with LP gas on. None. Zero. Some tunnels (not all) require that it be turned off. Some bridges require that you turn it off. And there are a handful of tunnels that prohibit LP gas at all, such as the two tunnels in Baltimore. Your best bet is to research it state by state as you plan your travels.

There *may* be some states that require you to turn off your LP gas at fuel pumps, but here's another one I could not verify. Having said that, it does make good sense - it's up to you.

There are some sources who claim it's not safe to travel with your LP gas on, but the ones I've read usually ignore the fact that your LP gas supply is built to shut itself off in the event of a fire. Far as I can tell, traveling with your LP gas on is a lot safer than the gasoline tanks in our vehicles.

Safe and happy travels!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #24

So can someone please tell me again why the RV industry did away with 3 way refrigerators. It would completely eliminate this issue.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Check your state regulations. Some don't allow it.....danger of propane fire in event of accident.
Our understanding is that with the new propane tanks, should anything disconnect or disturb the tank it will automatically shut off. Please advise if someone knows if this is NOT true. Thanks
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #26

I've traveled for years with my fridge on propane. If this was such a hazard and against so many laws no one would still make a propane unit for an RV. The liability would have done away with them long ago. The fact that they are still common indicates that the hazard is not a big concern.

Another thing to consider is if the fridge is full and cold when you start the trip it will not need to fire up very often if the door is kept closed.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #27

Auto mode as stated, the only time I would shut it down would be if a fuel tanker pulled in beside me to fill the station.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #28

In order to run on electricity, you must have 120volt power. That means you either have a very long extension cord or an onboard generator. (Just kidding about the cord, our local cable company wants me to drop the satellite service and replace it with cable, I respond that unless they sell 1000 mile cables it won't work on my RV. I never hear from them again.) The other option is running on propane. For years we ran the propane while zooming down the road. In my old age I got more cautious and now turn the gas off while traveling. The fridge stays cold and I leave the setting on "auto". That way it turns itself back on as soon as we hook up to power ot turn the gas back on.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #29

Hi there! We are newbies too and just bought Hummingbird 17RB. Following the responses you get as we need to know this Also!i would love to hear how your first outing goes so stay in touch. We live in Tennessee and haven’t taken her out yet.
Patti & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #30

… Enough on this yet?
Attached Images

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Kearney View Post
Our understanding is that with the new propane tanks, should anything disconnect or disturb the tank it will automatically shut off. Please advise if someone knows if this is NOT true. Thanks

My understanding is that they don't shut off completely, but they throttle way down. There is however a company making a propane tank level indicator that has a full shut off built into it.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of those to put on my two tanks. But they're a little bit pricey.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #32

https://changinglanesrv.com/gasstop-...pane-shut-off/
Old 07-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #33

https://gasstopusa.com/
Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #34

I freeze bottles of water and fill the fridge and freezer..(or place with food if you are traveling with food) freeze as much of the food as you can also helps. Even in a hot camper fridge is nice and cold for a day or two and you have nice cold water when they defrost. Why waste propane !
loriemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti & Al View Post
Hi there! We are newbies too and just bought Hummingbird 17RB. Following the responses you get as we need to know this Also!i would love to hear how your first outing goes so stay in touch. We live in Tennessee and haven’t taken her out yet.

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms View Post
I freeze bottles of water and fill the fridge and freezer..(or place with food if you are traveling with food) freeze as much of the food as you can also helps. Even in a hot camper fridge is nice and cold for a day or two and you have nice cold water when they defrost. Why waste propane !
That works if your fridge isn't full of fresh food. But as you said, once the fridge is cool, it will stay cool for quite a long time if it is not opened. That means that it won't need to run propane very often if at all on most trips. Very few people drive more than a few hours in a day so the fridge may not ever run on propane.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #37

Propane off

I am a gas fitter by trade.

So here goes.... turn off the tank. A small leak while travelling turns your trailer into a bomb. At the fridge stove or furnace. Since your trailer is enclosed... booom. Your low voltage electrical is hot while you drive... spark or short...you get the message. Your fridge on propane has an open flame... near the floor of the trailer. This is how the "compressor" boils the refrigerant.... off my soap box.... be safe!
Rodgerhassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #38
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
… Enough on this yet?
For sure...

One more time... How many Class A, Class C, Class B and trailers are on the road today running off of propane for refrige, hot water, cooking, heat?

How many reports have you heard of any blowing up due to propane leaks?

Do the math....

You stand a better chance getting hit by lightening and winning the lottery!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgerhassard View Post

So here goes.... turn off the tank. A small leak while travelling turns your trailer into a bomb. At the fridge stove or furnace. Since your trailer is enclosed... booom. Your low voltage electrical is hot while you drive... spark or short...you get the message. Your fridge on propane has an open flame... near the floor of the trailer. This is how the "compressor" boils the refrigerant.... off my soap box.... be safe!
And under this example, I'd be terrified to run the TT on gas when stopped at my campsite. With no wind provided by pulling the TT down the road to blow away any leaked gas, my TT would become even more of a "bomb" waiting to go off.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgerhassard View Post

There's been quite a few news reports lately about huge explosions in residential areas throughout the country. Natural gas leaks appear be the culprit. Interesting though, we don't see everyone in a panic, turning off natural gas to prevent gas explosions. Why? Because common sense reigns. Natural gas is safe---as long as the systems are properly maintained.

The same applies to propane. Yes, a propane-filled TT could potentially explode causing injury, destruction, and even death. However, a little common sense and preventative maintenance goes a long, long way in preventing something like this from happening.

There are risks involved with everything we do in life. 40,000 souls are killed on the streets and highways of this country (plus those in Canada) every year. Common sense says we're much more likely to be killed or injured driving our car (or RV) than being killed or injured by a TT propane explosion.

P.S. Welcome to JOF, Rodgerhassard! Isn't the Northern Lite plant just down the road from you?
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote