Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #41

Owned a TT of one brand or another since 1983.

Always travel with refrigerator on. No BOOM, so far.

Don't worry about amount of propane used, don't fret about the trailer exploding. It has been an accepted practice for about forever and this thread ain't likely to change anyone's mind.

Travel with it on, if you feel okay with it. Turn it off, if you don't.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
In order to run on electricity, you must have 120volt power. That means you either have a very long extension cord or an onboard generator........................

Well, almost.

I have been running my fridge on 120VAC since 2012. No not with a generator or a (VERY) long extension cord, but with 250Watts of roof mounted SOLAR and an inverter. Between the TV supplying power and my SOLAR the 2 Trojan T145 batteries work great. Understand, we only travel during the daylight hours. Batteries are still fully charged when we get to the CG.

Can't beat SOLAR for that purpose.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Panel on Roof.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #43

Cmon folks this subject will never end because both sides have dug their heels in. There are good reasons for traveling with the propane on, and good ones for turning it off.

It’s a personal choice and I choose to do what is convenient for me. We pack the fridge for traveling because that is what the fridge is for. Everything has a hazard associated with it, so it is an individual decision. We would not be able to bring the food and beverage we do, with ice chests, so fridge in set max while traveling.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post

The same applies to propane. Yes, a propane-filled TT could potentially explode causing injury, destruction, and even death. However, a little common sense and preventative maintenance goes a long, long way in preventing something like this from happening.
Expanding on that, if we're so worried about propane exploding, maybe we shouldn't plug the TT into a power source, to make sure we don't get electrocuted or short out and burn down the TT. Also, let's make sure we don't hook up to city water, wouldn't want to chance flooding the TT either.

Quote:
There are risks involved with everything we do in life. 40,000 souls are killed on the streets and highways of this country (plus those in Canada) every year. Common sense says we're much more likely to be killed or injured driving our car (or RV) than being killed or injured by a TT propane explosion.
Was going to come back and post something similar, you saved me typing!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #45

Besides the certain tunnels and bridges.... My question is would you light a match or smoke a cigarette while fueling? So why have an open flame lit when you fuel. you might get away with it hundreds of times, but that once... you'll never forget. And don't you believe they will look at the RV for the cause because investigators know it is a possible cause, if they have video on the pumps, it'll be hard to deny it.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
Besides the certain tunnels and bridges.... My question is would you light a match or smoke a cigarette while fueling? So why have an open flame lit when you fuel. you might get away with it hundreds of times, but that once... you'll never forget. And don't you believe they will look at the RV for the cause because investigators know it is a possible cause, if they have video on the pumps, it'll be hard to deny it.
Why another spin on this topic, I have not seen one person say its ok to fuel up with the frig on but yet you have to bring it up, this forum is getting as bad as Facebook forums
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
I don't smoke but I wouldn't have an open flame at the gas pump. I wouldn't have any problem with one 15-20' away though. That is about how far my fridge is from the pump as I fill up. Add to that the odds of the fridge lighting up just at the moment I am at the pump would be astronomical.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #48

Plugged into house current in driveway on auto, keep on auto. We haven't been anywhere without electrical hook up. Only turn off going thru Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
chamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #49

My Jay Feather Sport has a wind deflector on the roof ahead of the refrigerator vent. It is obviously there to help the fridge while moving down the road. It would serve no purpose sitting still.
ekonkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #50

It is true. In a safe place with the bottle on the ground open the valve with nothing connected. No gas will flow, unless the bottle valve is defective. It is called an excess flow valve.

Now to get it to flow again, you have to close the valve, connect it to a propane line and open it slowly. Then close it. Then open it slowly, again. You may have to do this several times to get the valve t reset.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
It is true. In a safe place with the bottle on the ground open the valve with nothing connected. No gas will flow, unless the bottle valve is defective. It is called an excess flow valve.

Now to get it to flow again, you have to close the valve, connect it to a propane line and open it slowly. Then close it. Then open it slowly, again. You may have to do this several times to get the valve t reset.
AND there's a flow restrictor in the pigtail that goes to your regulator too. Redundant safety layers already in place.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote