Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #61

Many of the tunnels on the east coast have no propane use restrictions and a few bridges. My concern is with TV fueling. You pull into a gas station to get fuel, you have an open flame if the frig is cooling. Being retired fire department, My question is how close would you walk with a lit candle to a gasoline vehicle that is fueling?

Liquid gasoline (diesel) itself does not burn, it's the vapors, same for propane. If the mix is not right, no fire. If no ignition source, no fire until the auto-ignition temp, if the mix if too lean, there is not enough to get a explosion/fire, if its too rich/strong, too much and the same thing, no fire. The problem is where is that sweet spot, how close can you get? Vapor clouds move, when does the wind blow the right concentration to your open flame.

AND
From MSDS (material safety data sheets) AT THE RIGHT MIX or PERCENTAGE exposed to a flame/spark/ignition source

Propane will burn from @ -143F to auto ignition at 842F Flammability rating 4
Gasoline will burn from @ -45F to auto ignition at 536F Flammability rating 3
Diesel will burn from @ >120F to auto ignition at 500F Flammability rating 2

Flammability rating code is one part of the National Fire Protection's scale for all Hazmats/chemicals, 0 being no chance with 4 being the worse for reacting.
On the vapors propane is the worse, diesel is best of the 3. Diesel is classified as combustible, the other 2 are flammable. Diesel you can throw a lighted match into it and it will probably go out, the other 2, you might want to start running because the flame can't get thru explosive range to the liquid no matter how fast you try.
So again, how close to you want chance to get that open flame to a gasoline vapor?
Old 09-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
Many of the tunnels on the east coast have no propane use restrictions and a few bridges. My concern is with TV fueling. You pull into a gas station to get fuel, you have an open flame if the frig is cooling. Being retired fire department, My question is how close would you walk with a lit candle to a gasoline vehicle that is fueling?

Liquid gasoline (diesel) itself does not burn, it's the vapors, same for propane. If the mix is not right, no fire. If no ignition source, no fire until the auto-ignition temp, if the mix if too lean, there is not enough to get a explosion/fire, if its too rich/strong, too much and the same thing, no fire. The problem is where is that sweet spot, how close can you get? Vapor clouds move, when does the wind blow the right concentration to your open flame.

AND
From MSDS (material safety data sheets) AT THE RIGHT MIX or PERCENTAGE exposed to a flame/spark/ignition source

Propane will burn from @ -143F to auto ignition at 842F Flammability rating 4
Gasoline will burn from @ -45F to auto ignition at 536F Flammability rating 3
Diesel will burn from @ >120F to auto ignition at 500F Flammability rating 2

Flammability rating code is one part of the National Fire Protection's scale for all Hazmats/chemicals, 0 being no chance with 4 being the worse for reacting.
On the vapors propane is the worse, diesel is best of the 3. Diesel is classified as combustible, the other 2 are flammable. Diesel you can throw a lighted match into it and it will probably go out, the other 2, you might want to start running because the flame can't get thru explosive range to the liquid no matter how fast you try.
So again, how close to you want chance to get that open flame to a gasoline vapor?
My "open flame propane is on the opposite side of the rig from the fueling location.

Further, yes it is open flame, but just barely. The flame is inside the heating chamber (I realize that may not be the actual terminology) and then behind a baffle, all raised about 4 feet off the ground.

So, the gasoline fume would have to cross over or under the Greyhawk, then drift up or down and through the baffle, at a concentration that allows ignition.

Nothing is impossible, but this seems to me to be quite a stretch, and will never occur.

As a fellow retired public servant, I too have see things that I thought would never happen... but, life and all you do is a risk to some degree. This risk is so minimal, I accept it.

Previously:
Flagstaff MicroLite
Jayco Jay pop-up
Tent.... Several.
Campers for 40 plus years
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #63

As I drive a Class A it is a simple matter the hit the 'off' button on the fridge before exiting the RV to fuel, and back 'on' before leaving. That being said yes I have forgotten once or twice. Just google "RV fires at gas statiions' and you will see several fires at both gas and propane filling sytations. While most of them don't say how the fire started the location of the fire is telling.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #64

In the Greyhawk the button is on the fridge.

Maybe that's a good idea.

Sh** happens.... and do t want it to happen to me!

Previously:
Flagstaff MicroLite
Jayco Jay pop-up
Tent.... Several.
Campers for 40 plus years
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralett View Post
I'm curious if we are "risk takers" or if the majority of folks also use the frig while traveling.
To the OP:

Yes. Yes.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote