Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #1

Running the frig while traveling?

Ok, we have only had our rig (2018 Seneca) for 1 1/2 years. We have always run the frig on propane while traveling to our destination. While discussing plans for our next trip with a new "camping friend", they were shocked to hear that we did this. They feel it is dangerous to have the propane tank valve open while traveling and always stop close to their destination to buy groceries, only firing up the frig after they park their trailer.

Everyone else we camp with loads their food before they start leave and runs the frig while in route.

I'm curious if we are "risk takers" or if the majority of folks also use the frig while traveling.
ralett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

25 years with a Lance Camper and now over 2 years with my Greyhawk. I have ALWAYS run the fridge while driving. It is hard enough for those fridges to get and stay cold so why make it harder on them.

I have never had a problem and no gas station I went to blew up due to the open flame which was on the opposite side of the gas fill location.

If it makes you more comfortable to drive with the propane off, by all means do so. I would guess there are more people out here that leave the propane and fridge on while driving. I expect you will get some opinions.

There may be laws in some locations that prohibit what I do but so far, at least in Southern California, I haven't heard of any. Then of course, I haven't searched the subject.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #3

LOTS of threads on this topic. You might want to search them. Here’s a start: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oll-15414.html
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #4

Always run the frig with the propane on but if they want to not let them but if you want cold food or drinks run it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

I always run mine while traveling and have had no issues so far.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

As LckyDuck said there are lots of threads on this subject, and it is very controversial. It is kinda like talking oil with an old car guy.

I commonly travel with my frig on.

Propane in the tank is a liquid. It will "Evaporate" a little off the top, and forms the gas vapor we burn. When we remove a little gas, the pressure drop in the tank allows a little more gas to evaporate into the gas form we are familiar with. At -40 degrees liquid propane will not evaporate, and your appliances will not work.

In reality, propane is extremely safe, and a lot safer than gasoline. The ignition temperature of propane is 920 to 1020 degrees verses gasoline which is 80 to 300 degrees. This does not mean that the fuel will self ignite at these temperatures. In simple terms propane needs a much hotter ignition source.

Propane tanks now days are required to have multiple safety features. Portable tanks between 4-40 pounds need to have an OPD valve (Overfill Protection Device), which does exactly what it says.

They also have an inline "Free Flow" safety valve. This valve shuts the flow of propane off, if the valve senses a high rate of flow. This protection is for accidents such as a hose gets cut. This is the same valve that causes people issues when they open their propane tank valve to quickly, and they have no fuel to light their appliances. Try opening a propane valve with nothing connected to it. There is not flow of gas. In the past you would have had a gush of white gas vapors exit the valve. Not any more.

There is also a pressure relief valve, that releases excess pressure. If you placed a propane tank in a fire it will not explode. Mythbusters tried to make multiple tanks explode, and they could not. You will see a flame jet come from the propane tank. This is the build up of gas pressure being released from the tank, as everything expands as it gets hot, including liquid propane. This safety feature is independent of the main shut off valve, and can open any time there is an over pressure event.

If all the systems are working, propane and propane tanks are extremely safe. In reality they are much safer than a gasoline system.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralett View Post
Ok, we have only had our rig (2018 Seneca) for 1 1/2 years. We have always run the frig on propane while traveling to our destination. While discussing plans for our next trip with a new "camping friend", they were shocked to hear that we did this. They feel it is dangerous to have the propane tank valve open while traveling and always stop close to their destination to buy groceries, only firing up the frig after they park their trailer.

Everyone else we camp with loads their food before they start leave and runs the frig while in route.

I'm curious if we are "risk takers" or if the majority of folks also use the frig while traveling.

if you cant run the fridge its not a house on wheels ...

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #8

Not again......
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #9

I drive with it on but I also use my own toilet and shower at campgrounds so you know i'm crazy !
Attached Thumbnails
3a5.jpg  
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Not again......

The search function is working today:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-56933.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oad-53667.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-58897.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-64475.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oll-15414.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-66121.html

Plus many more.....
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #11

All we need now is another "I'm losing my water after filling up " thread.

2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As LckyDuck said there are lots of threads on this subject, and it is very controversial. It is kinda like talking oil with an old car guy.

Propane in the tank is a liquid. It will "Evaporate" a little off the top, and forms the gas vapor we burn. When we remove a little gas, the pressure drop in the tank allows a little more gas to evaporate into the gas form we are familiar with. At -40 degrees liquid propane will not evaporate, and your appliances will not work.

In reality, propane is extremely safe, and a lot safer than gasoline. The ignition temperature of propane is 920 to 1020 degrees verses gasoline which is 80 to 300 degrees. This does not mean that the fuel will self ignite at these temperatures. In simple terms propane needs a much hotter ignition source.

Propane tanks now days are required to have multiple safety features. Portable tanks between 4-40 pounds need to have an OPD valve (Overfill Protection Device), which does exactly what it says.

They also have an inline "Free Flow" safety valve. This valve shuts the flow of propane off, if the valve senses a high rate of flow. This protection is for accidents such as a hose gets cut. This is the same valve that causes people issues when they open their propane tank valve to quickly, and they have no fuel to light their appliances. Try opening a propane valve with nothing connected to it. There is not flow of gas. In the past you would have had a gush of white gas vapors exit the valve. Not any more.

There is also a pressure relief valve, that releases excess pressure. If you placed a propane tank in a fire it will not explode. Mythbusters tried to make multiple tanks explode, and they could not. You will see a flame jet come from the propane tank. This is the build up of gas pressure being released from the tank, as everything expands as it gets hot, including liquid propane. This safety feature is independent of the main shut off valve, and can open any time there is an over pressure event.

If all the systems are working, propane and propane tanks are extremely safe. In reality they are much safer than a gasoline system.
I appreciate your lengthy write up on the features of propane and its upper explosive limits and such. Having retired from the Michigan State Police, Fire Investigation Unit, I have no problem whatsoever running my propane while rolling down the road to keep my diet Pepsi cold. Also, in the many years that I did investigate fires, not once did I ever have a fire involving a travel trailer or any other RV while in motion. They were always sitting stationary.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #13

gosh... here goes another round. I will put it all out there at once!

We travel with our fridge on AC or Propane
We poop in our toilet
We leave our Water Pump on all day
We change the oil at the recommended intervals or annually
We use the oil recommended by the Engine MFG
We use the Oil Viscosity recommended by the Engine MFG
We use Regular Diesel
We use diesel additives only to prevent Jelling in sub-freezing temperatures
DW pee's in the bathroom while we are in-motion
I don't pee when in the drivers seat while we are in motion
I don't text / email on my smartphone while in motion driving.
We wear our seatbelts when in our seats
We run our generator when it is hot and we want AC
We prominently display our American Flag in our campsite when appropriate.
Our dogs have their leash attached when in the campground.
We remove all occupants & shut off the appliances from the MH when filling Propane
We fill Diesel at the truck stops with the Cummins running
... and... we lose water from our fresh tank while traveling - if we don't close the vent valves we added.

Yes - I fully expect someone to come telling me that we are doing it wrong. For all intensive purposes, I should not be alive after all of the previous things that I have done wrong according to what others have said before... but someone had to type this response - so I must be still alive.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #14

Oh... forgot one more...

Our Seneca is Dual Rear Wheel (DRW)
We prefer Diesel over Gas
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
gosh... here goes another round. I will put it all out there at once!

We travel with our fridge on AC or Propane
We poop in our toilet
We leave our Water Pump on all day
We change the oil at the recommended intervals or annually
We use the oil recommended by the Engine MFG
We use the Oil Viscosity recommended by the Engine MFG
We use Regular Diesel
We use diesel additives only to prevent Jelling in sub-freezing temperatures
DW pee's in the bathroom while we are in-motion
I don't pee when in the drivers seat while we are in motion
I don't text / email on my smartphone while in motion driving.
We wear our seatbelts when in our seats
We run our generator when it is hot and we want AC
We prominently display our American Flag in our campsite when appropriate.
Our dogs have their leash attached when in the campground.
We remove all occupants & shut off the appliances from the MH when filling Propane
We fill Diesel at the truck stops with the Cummins running
... and... we lose water from our fresh tank while traveling - if we don't close the vent valves we added.

Yes - I fully expect someone to come telling me that we are doing it wrong. For all intensive purposes, I should not be alive after all of the previous things that I have done wrong according to what others have said before... but someone had to type this response - so I must be still alive.
What?!! You don’t pee in the driver’s seat while in motion?!!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Oh... forgot one more...
You also forgot to tell us if your batteries are charging and what you pour in the black tank.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #17

...And the ones about whether you really need an auxiliary brake system in the toad....

To the OP: For years I ran the fridge on propane while underway. Lately I did a bit of rewiring and now I can run the fridge on AC off the inverter while underway. It draws 28 amps DC from the battery, so the chassis engine should be running.

BTW, the tunnels in Virginia on/near the Chesapeake Bay prohibit the propane being used. There is an inspection pull-off area so they can see if your tank valves are off.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
BTW, the tunnels in Virginia on/near the Chesapeake Bay prohibit the propane being used. There is an inspection pull-off area so they can see if your tank valves are off.

Is it posted "No Hazmat" or do gas tankers use the tunnel?
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

In Addition to this post, Propane ignites in a very narrow range of propane/air mixture.. It will ignite from little over 2% to about 9% mixture...above and below it will not ignite. Myth busters tried to get a propane tank to explode, including shooting incendiary rounds into it and was not able to get it to ignite..They had to explode the tank to get ignition. It is typically ignorance about propane and propane systems when people are afraid of using propane systems as designed. Propane is NOT gasoline, it is safe, very difficult to ignite in an accident. Your gas tank on your vehicle is MUCH more dangerous. They don't want you to use propane in some tunnels has more to do with open flame and gas vapors rather than worrying about the propane may explode. They don't want any open flames...its not about propane.

Good Luck and enjoy your cold food.

We just returned from a 5 month trip where we towed over 6,000 miles...every single mile with the propane and frig on. Drove over 11,000 miles but 5k was when the RV was parked (and the propane was on then also ! )

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Is it posted "No Hazmat" or do gas tankers use the tunnel?
Don't know about tankers. The VDot website does say "Before motor homes can go through tunnels, they must stop to have propane tanks checked."
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote