Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

RV Anti Theft Ideas?

I read the thread about the stolen spare tire. That got me to thinking about my batteries and propane tanks. What does everyone use to lock up propane tanks and batteries? I leave my camper unattended a few times a year at our camping spots, until we get to the spot on a Friday night. Simple chain and locks on the batteries? What about the propane tanks? Thanks in advance for any ideas!
bosscat800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

Lots of people lock their batteries. You can buy a metal strap, configured to secure a plastic battery box.

I secure my two propane tanks with a cable to my tongue mounted spare tire.

Bikes are secured with a long cable lock.

One thing to note, your cargo doors use the same 751 key as everyone else.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

For about $6, you can get new locks to replace the 751s at Lowes. Direct fit. Be aware it is difficult to find matched pairs for units that have 2 or more storage doors. I changed mine out as soon as I pulled it home from the dealer.

When it went in for a warranty repair that didn't require access to the storage bin, I was surprised when their service department complained they couldn't get into either door and they were going to replaced "the faulty locks". I told him to leave them alone and asked why they needed access? The service writer said they open them 'in case they need access or to something in them". I told him call me if they needed access and the locks had been changed to prevent unauthorized access. Needless to say, I'll find another dealer for future work unless I'm physically there to make sure they don't "access" something they don't need to get into.

As for the propane tanks, all bolts are staked to make it difficult to unbolt, the upper tie down now have been locked. The spare has two lug locks and the bolts for that bumper mount, as well as the hitch adapter for the bicycle carrier are staked and bolts locks with Locktite Red. The bicycle carrier is cabled to a welded loop on the frame. The bicycle rack, it is a Yamaha that has a key locking bolt that free wheels when locked with the key. The spare also has a cable tying it to the frame.

Some think I may be paranoid, but remember just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to steal your stuff.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

My key also opens the front door with matching key sets in my 2017 North Point 301RET. So every bodies key in the camp site can open my bays and my front door?
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #5

If the key has the number 751 stamped on it, then yes. The 751 lock is used by virtually all TT builders for storage bays and it may be used on motorhomes (not having one, I really don't know). As a suggestion, go to a dealer and see if your key opens the storage bays on several of their trailers. If so, I'd look at changing your locks. It is possible your selling dealer rekeyed the storage locks to match the door, but that would be highly unusual.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #6

Get good insurance. As someone that works in the information technology security field and for a LEO agency I can confirm the saying locks keep honest people honest. I have been through training on lock forensics where we learn about all the different types of locks out there, how to pick them and the traces left behind. We would then disassemble then to analyze the lock components and determine what type of attack method was used because each method will leave different tool marks behind. Of course in order to understand these methods the first part of the class was all training and hands on experience picking locks.

Any wafer style lock found in these RVs or their wafer replacements do very little if nothing to step up the level of security other than making it so everyone's key doesn't open every lock on a Jayco. Sure there are locks out there that step up the game significantly but they are not available for every application. Also in the end a determined person will still get in and just cause more damage in the process. Personally I just use the OEM locks and park the camper in my yard where I have other means of securing things. If I left it unlocked insurance won't cover it. If it is locked by a crappy OEM lock you are good to go.

As far as securing things outside the camper. Same thing. Pretty much any lock that you find in a hardware store is easily defeated. I have a bunch of big Master Locks that sure look strong and lots of family members used to swear by them. Well a couple years back we were sitting around the campfire with family and I was teaching them how to pick locks. Those big Master Locks can be opened quicker with a tension bar and a rake than I can with a key. If I try and use a key I probably have to fumble around for the right key where the rake will open all of them. The kids were timing me and I had it down to 0.5 Sec.

In other parts of the world they are more serious about locks and have something called an insurance lock. This is indicates that a lock meets the minimum standard in pick prevention and hardness to be rated to protect something insured. Lets say you have something that gets stolen and it is shown that you didn't have an insurance lock protecting it, then the insurance company can deny your claim as if you left it unlocked here in the US. Because of this there are a few good locks there but most are not made here in the US. They won't be cheap but also are not that ridiculous when you realize how much better they are than cheap Schalge locks found in most homes. Just two weeks ago I got a call from a neighbor who was locked out of their house and they asked if we still had a key. I brought the key that has been sitting at our house for close to 20 years but it didn't open the door. He was going to break the lock but I had it open in about 20 seconds with the pick set.

This is the lock that protects my shop. I won't say they can't be picked but I will admit, I don't have the skill set to do it.

ABLOY PROTEC2 - high security key system | ABLOY - Abloy Oy

They have a model that should work or could be made to work to secure the storage doors and they might fit in the main door. I haven't taken apart our door to see if it would fit without modification.

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Prot...-Cam-Lock.html

If looking for a paddlelock something like this would be much better if paired with a hardenend chain.

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Prot...l-Padlock.html

https://securitysnobs.com/ABUS-Harde...loy-Chain.html

One nice thing about these locks is that they can be ordered (for more money) all keyed the same and potentially with a master key system. Normally using master keys like found in most businesses reduce the security of the lock and make them much easier to pick but in this case, I wouldn't worry about it much with the Protec2 line. So you could use a master key which opens the door as well as all storage hatches. But if you drop it off for service you could give them a service key which only opens the main door.

As I said though, for me and how I use my camper it isn't worth it. I just go with OEM locks.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

I used a combination cable lock for the spare and went around the bumper with it.

Also added stover lock nuts to the mount, mostly to eliminate the possibility of the mount loosening up and falling off, but they would be less than fun to take off with a wrench as well .

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post

Some think I may be paranoid, but remember just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to steal your stuff.
I don't think your paranoid. That's smart! If they want it bad enough, they'll still get it, but you're making them look elsewhere for an easier score.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

Not true any more. Starting at least in the 2017 models, they changed that policy. My one main key fits everything except the outside shower, and it is not a 751.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Not true any more. Starting at least in the 2017 models, they changed that policy. My one main key fits everything except the outside shower, and it is not a 751.
I had heard some trailers where getting away form the stock 751 key.

I have not seen a post in a long time about any stolen TTs. a couple years ago there was many posts on the subject. I still hear of stolen cargo trailers all the time, with my old car buddies. You should have a good tongue lock. I personally do not like 98 percent of them on the market, because I could drill out the lock very quickly. The key core on mine is located under the tongue, so it is hard to see, which makes it hard to drill out, as you must lay on your back and have metal chips falling into your face.

I use one similar to this one;

Name:  Tongue lock.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  5.3 KB

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #11

A friend of mine had their trailer broken into while in the storage yard. Took the tv and electronics and beer, not much else. Stuck a pry bar in between the door jamb and the door. Didn't mess with locks. I suspect that it popped open pretty quickly, and it did about $1200 in damage. Other than having 24 hour security, not sure it could have been prevented.

Things like this grind me, because they cause 10 times the damage than the value they'll get out of what they steal. I've jokingly thought that one would be better off taping a hundred dollar bill to the door with a note telling them to take it, enjoy it, and move on. You'd be better off in the long run.

The jist is that the best you can do is to convince the thief that you have nothing worth stealing, or that the other campers will be easier to get stuff out of than yours. If they are determined, they'll get in and do significant damage doing so.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
I saw something about this awhile back. Jayco receives the outside shower from another manufacturer and that manufacturer installs a lock other than the infamous 751. Jayco doesn't change out the lock.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Get good insurance. As someone that works in the information technology security field and for a LEO agency I can confirm the saying locks keep honest people honest. I have been through training on lock forensics where we learn about all the different types of locks out there, how to pick them and the traces left behind. We would then disassemble then to analyze the lock components and determine what type of attack method was used because each method will leave different tool marks behind. Of course in order to understand these methods the first part of the class was all training and hands on experience picking locks.

Any wafer style lock found in these RVs or their wafer replacements do very little if nothing to step up the level of security other than making it so everyone's key doesn't open every lock on a Jayco. Sure there are locks out there that step up the game significantly but they are not available for every application. Also in the end a determined person will still get in and just cause more damage in the process. Personally I just use the OEM locks and park the camper in my yard where I have other means of securing things. If I left it unlocked insurance won't cover it. If it is locked by a crappy OEM lock you are good to go.

As far as securing things outside the camper. Same thing. Pretty much any lock that you find in a hardware store is easily defeated. I have a bunch of big Master Locks that sure look strong and lots of family members used to swear by them. Well a couple years back we were sitting around the campfire with family and I was teaching them how to pick locks. Those big Master Locks can be opened quicker with a tension bar and a rake than I can with a key. If I try and use a key I probably have to fumble around for the right key where the rake will open all of them. The kids were timing me and I had it down to 0.5 Sec.

In other parts of the world they are more serious about locks and have something called an insurance lock. This is indicates that a lock meets the minimum standard in pick prevention and hardness to be rated to protect something insured. Lets say you have something that gets stolen and it is shown that you didn't have an insurance lock protecting it, then the insurance company can deny your claim as if you left it unlocked here in the US. Because of this there are a few good locks there but most are not made here in the US. They won't be cheap but also are not that ridiculous when you realize how much better they are than cheap Schalge locks found in most homes. Just two weeks ago I got a call from a neighbor who was locked out of their house and they asked if we still had a key. I brought the key that has been sitting at our house for close to 20 years but it didn't open the door. He was going to break the lock but I had it open in about 20 seconds with the pick set.

This is the lock that protects my shop. I won't say they can't be picked but I will admit, I don't have the skill set to do it.

ABLOY PROTEC2 - high security key system | ABLOY - Abloy Oy

They have a model that should work or could be made to work to secure the storage doors and they might fit in the main door. I haven't taken apart our door to see if it would fit without modification.

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Prot...-Cam-Lock.html

If looking for a paddlelock something like this would be much better if paired with a hardenend chain.

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Prot...l-Padlock.html

https://securitysnobs.com/ABUS-Harde...loy-Chain.html

One nice thing about these locks is that they can be ordered (for more money) all keyed the same and potentially with a master key system. Normally using master keys like found in most businesses reduce the security of the lock and make them much easier to pick but in this case, I wouldn't worry about it much with the Protec2 line. So you could use a master key which opens the door as well as all storage hatches. But if you drop it off for service you could give them a service key which only opens the main door.

As I said though, for me and how I use my camper it isn't worth it. I just go with OEM locks.

Awesome info.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
A friend of mine had their trailer broken into while in the storage yard. Took the tv and electronics and beer, not much else. Stuck a pry bar in between the door jamb and the door. Didn't mess with locks. I suspect that it popped open pretty quickly, and it did about $1200 in damage. Other than having 24 hour security, not sure it could have been prevented.

Things like this grind me, because they cause 10 times the damage than the value they'll get out of what they steal. I've jokingly thought that one would be better off taping a hundred dollar bill to the door with a note telling them to take it, enjoy it, and move on. You'd be better off in the long run.

The jist is that the best you can do is to convince the thief that you have nothing worth stealing, or that the other campers will be easier to get stuff out of than yours. If they are determined, they'll get in and do significant damage doing so.
I'd say just don't lock it. At least then they might not tear it up to get the little bit of stuff that I'd usually have in the TT. Unless they take the TV and the microwave, there's really nothing else in ours that would even be salable. We don't generally carry anything of value on camping trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I saw something about this awhile back. Jayco receives the outside shower from another manufacturer and that manufacturer installs a lock other than the infamous 751. Jayco doesn't change out the lock.
Just to be clear, I meant that our main key is not a 751. That one key fits everything but the shower.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #15

Quote:
I'd say just don't lock it. At least then they might not tear it up to get the little bit of stuff that I'd usually have in the TT. Unless they take the TV and the microwave, there's really nothing else in ours that would even be salable. We don't generally carry anything of value on camping trips.

Just to be clear, I meant that our main key is not a 751. That one key fits everything but the shower.
I would agree but the problem is that if you turn in an insurance claim they are going to look at it and ask how did they get in? If you can show the broken lock or as much as is sucks a pried open door jamb. Then they pay the claim. If there is no damage, they will ask if it was locked. If you say you didn't lock it because you were afraid of additional damage when they break in anyhow. They may deny your claim.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #16

A big DOG!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1017.jpg  

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #17

A few months ago my propane tanks were stolen off of my brand new camper right at my house. I have since bought a lock for the tanks and the battery. Next is security cameras for my house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q7...pane+tank+lock

http://www.b-drvbatterylock.com/balocl.html

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
A big DOG!

Love the boxer! Used to have 2, one that looked just like yours(but tail docked) and a white one. Only problem is anyone who knows boxers will tell you they're just too friendly [emoji3]
Look mean but they'd lick you to death. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #19

One of the benefits of living deep in redneck territory is our Castle Doctrine laws and broad NRA support. I leave mine in my yard, unlocked.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Love the boxer! Used to have 2, one that looked just like yours(but tail docked) and a white one. Only problem is anyone who knows boxers will tell you they're just too friendly [emoji3]
Look mean but they'd lick you to death. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah -- shhhhhhh don't tell the bad guys.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote