Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #21

hi..it is a bit roughing it without a generator..i use a 60watt solar panel..i have been camping many years with the solar panel..no air condition--no toaster -no microwave..it is not a real loss..hope this helps
hainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #22

Hi, well the whole idea of an RV which is you know is recreational vehicle is either to be able to plug into Shore power in a campground, run a generator for power, or use some type of solar. If you really want to do primitive camping with a roof over your head then I guess you'll be heating water up in a pot on the campfire, taking sponge baths, brushing your teeth out of a cup of water, and basically doing everything without the conveniences of the modern times. Now in my rig which is a 33 foot Class A, I have a 50 amp oil in generator which can supply enough power to run the entire rate including both air conditioners. I also have 400 watts of solar set up as an independent system with its own 3000w inverter and three 240 amp hour solar batteries.
Bracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #23

I always see people worried about Generators! First off DO YOU CAMP WERE YOU NEED ONE! Most people, Camp were there is electricity! So they never need one! and the few who camp were they don't have electricity, are you camping more then a day or two! Then no need! Or grab solar panels to keep the charge for night! (if in the summer should be able to run for 2 to 4 days on the battery) Also figure if you buy a generator you are going to pay $300 or so to run your camper, But if the dealer or manufacture added the generator then figure a $1000 added to the price of your camper! Plus remember that once you fire up a generator! Then you need to run it 2 to 3 times a year to maintain and so the generator Carb. doesn't gum up! Lots of maintenance and I have seen LOTS OF PEOPLE! NOT DO THIS AND THEN WONDER AND BLAME THE RV PEOLE FOR NOT HAVING A MACHINE THE DOESN"T KEEP RUNNING FOREVER! And they don't! I have one that I can run my RV on! (30amp plug) But I have a cabin that I use it for so my Generator runs 4 to 6 times a year for weeks at a time! So mine stays maintained ! If you feel you need one buy it! But like I said only if you are boon docking for DAYS!
Garyhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #24

Get a 100W solar suitcase to charge your battery. They can be moved around to a sunnier spot if trees are around you, just get a longer cord for the panel to reach your battery. You can't run an a/c unit off the generator unless you get a 4K watt unit & they are usually heavy & noisy. Renogy make a good solar suitcase they weigh about 30 lbs & may be on sale soon with the holidays coming up.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocr...+suitcase+100w
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #25

Others have alluded, but a couple of 6V golf cart batteries in series do wonders. Our 1st set were Trojan T105's, and they would run our furnace for a couple of nights w/o issue. Without the furnace, we did a trip this past summer and made it I believe four nights pretty comfortably.

For more than you probably want to know, these two links are helpful. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/ and The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Paul
paul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #26

https://www.renogy.com/products/sola...lar-suitcases/
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #27

But why buy an RV with all the amenities then?
Philski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #28

A lot of the newer Rv’s will have AC that will run off of a 2000 watt generator with a 30 amp plug. In our family there are two rigs where the Honda 2000 watt will run the AC and two units where it will not. Borrow someone’s and test your before you buy a big heavy 3000+ watt generator.
We regularly camp for a week with now power. 100 watt solar takes care of the batteries on most days, then running the generator for just a couple hours every other day brings it up to full again. If you need to run the furnace, you will need to recharge daily.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #29

Rv camping issue

Suggest two 6 volt batteries vice 1 12 volt. Much longer battery life
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #30

We rarely take a generator - not really necessary

We spent one week in Canyonlands National Park in April. I did bring a generator, and used it ONCE to charge batteries during the 7 days. My solar panel and two 12 volt batteries did the rest. We don't have a microwave in the camper, and didn't need the AC. This time of year, the main load on your batteries is the furnace fan.

For trips where you are not staying put for a week at a time, your truck's alternator will keep you charged up between stops.
Attached Thumbnails
20180407_102743.jpg  
Steve-n-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 AM   #31

I miss gas lamps.
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #32

What kind of battery system do you have? 1 group 24 12V marine/deep cycle hybrid one, or either a true deep cycle Group 31 12V or pair of GC 6V true deep cycle batteries. With either of the latter batteries, you have a chance to last multiple days with out either a generator or solar panels.

With the latter configuration, you will not however not be able to boondock and still use your on board furnace. The furnace's blower is a DC power hog.

If this kind of minimalist camping is what you are looking for, you really don't need a fully self contained RV. All you need is the most basic, low cost pop up camper. Basically, just a platform to get your sleeping up off the ground. In most ways, you will just be tent camping, except sleeping off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealbraunstein View Post
I'm just looking for some talk here. We are taking a camper with out a generator, my buddy is skeptical. How does RV camping work without a generator in comparison to ones with one/ power hookup?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #33

I'll just throw this out to add to the conversation. One of the reason I bought our camper was to go to our grandson's go-kart races, we park in what they call the pit area but it's just an open gravel lot beside the track. Temps in Missouri were in the 90's much of the time and with no shade the camper and generator gave everyone a place to cool off. My wife has severe arthritis and had a hard time walking to the outhouse so the indoor plumbing came in handy also.
I probably should have bought a Honda they seem to have the best reviews but I finally decided to buy a Firman and so far it's running great and powers everything in the camper at the same time.
https://shop.trailsiderv.net/product...-gas-generator
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #34

Boy, did this post really take off!

Your question of do I really need a generator, is really a personally decision. For some people it is an absolute necessity, for others like myself, I can get by without one. In 6 years, I have used a generator 1 time for a couple hours after a week of boondocking.

I would challenge you to ask yourself, how do you foresee using the camper or is it a MH? From there you can decide if you need one or not. The nice thing about aftermarket generators, you can buy one later. Some like a Honda or Yamaha 2000, you can parallel them and double the output, so they will grow with your needs. If you are considering a MH an on board generator is nice to run the AC while driving as the coaches dash AC is not capable of cooling the entire coach while in transit.

All the lights, RV frig, water heater, furnace, fans, stereo, all work off 12VDC power. So, for a weekend with the right battery setup, you potentially have enough battery power. The furnace fan really can drain down a single cheap battery in one night. With a dual battery setup in cold weather you can make it through a long weekend. Also note there are parasite 12V drains on the system, such as the stereo, CO/gas detector, that can drain a battery down within a few weeks.

The wall outlets, residential refrigerator, microwave, tv, AC all use 120VAC power, just like your stick house. To use these items, you need an outside power source, such as shower power, or a generator. Solar can charge your batteries and with an inverter can run some of these things, sometimes (lot depends on the setup $$$).

With the right battery setup, you can in conjunction with a power inverter run light power loads such as TV, computer, even a refrigerator.

These TTs come with a cheap dual-purpose group 24 85-amp hour battery. You can get about 40 amps out of it before you start to damage the battery. Conservatively you can make it through a 3 day weekend with that battery. Two days, can be a challenge, if you tend to turn on the lights and walk away. Adding a second battery can extend your stay. I keep the original battery on the tongue of my TT. For long weekends, I carry a second group 29 battery in the bed of my truck, and I swap out batteries during the trip if needed.

If you are considering purchasing a generator, buy an Inverter rated unit. First off, they are much quieter than a construction grade generator. Also, they are much friendlier on your electronics.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
What sort of meter do folks suggest for keeping an eye on voltage levels? I'm assuming there are ups and downs to most of the choices. Thanks.
If your unit has a 12v power plug (looks like an old cigarette lighter plug) check Amazon. They have a number of inexpensive, digital meters that plug into that outlet.

I have one and monitor my trailer's 12v system voltage when being charged by my tow vehicle, connected to shore power, or boondocking. IMO, everyone should have one of those because the 'idiot lights' in trailers are virtually meaningless.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #36

For me I need full hook up. I need my water and electric. We use the comfort stations for everything else. I don't do the toilet thing although I like my shower. So if you are going boondocking in the middle of no where then you won't have anything to power a microwave. I guess I am a creature of comfort. I like my ac and I like my heat and I like my television and I like the microwave even though I know how to use the stove without a microwave. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Get a 100W solar suitcase to charge your battery. They can be moved around to a sunnier spot if trees are around you, just get a longer cord for the panel to reach your battery. You can't run an a/c unit off the generator unless you get a 4K watt unit & they are usually heavy & noisy. Renogy make a good solar suitcase they weigh about 30 lbs & may be on sale soon with the holidays coming up.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocr...+suitcase+100w
You can run an AC unit on less than 4K generator. I have (2) 2000 watt Yamaha generators and have proven time and time again that I can run my 15k A/C on one 2000 watt Yamaha generator. Besides, weighing 47 pounds each, they are much easier to move around and they both fit in my forward storage compartments.

BUT, You need to install a Micro-Air soft start.
I have been doing this for 3 years now and we do quite a bit of boondocking. Yes, sometimes, I run both yamaha's in parallel when boondocking, running the A/C, Electric hot water heater. I turn off the water heater when running the microwave.

https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv camper rvcamping