Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

RV carport plans

Anyone know a source for RV shed plans with material list and certified to meet codes? I want to build a simple pole carport, but I live in the city, and will need real plans that will please the administration when getting a permit.

If I lived in the country, I would just google it and build it.

Probably about 16-20 feet wide, 40 feet deep, and 14 feet tall.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

Ain't nuttin never certified to meet codes, because inspectors are a fickle bunch and codes change all of the time. That said, I would go to the local folks that build pole barns and see what they have to say. A carport is basically just a pole barn with no siding. Maybe check with the local big box building supply store, many times they have retired builders working there. Heck, if you don't attach it to the ground it many not even need to meet code, but I wouldn't bet on it. I once built a shed on a sled so I could move it and since it was portable it didn't have to meet code.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

Have you gone down to your cities building department? They may even have the requirements to meet code and exceptions online.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

I looked up the requirements for my city. Then I submitted a drawing of what mine would look like with dimensions that met our code. They approved it and it was built.
You'll need to either ask them what codes must be met (usually amount/size of rebar in the concrete slab, materials used, electricity) or download them then submit your plan/drawing.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
I looked up the requirements for my city. Then I submitted a drawing of what mine would look like with dimensions that met our code. They approved it and it was built.
You'll need to either ask them what codes must be met (usually amount/size of rebar in the concrete slab, materials used, electricity) or download them then submit your plan/drawing.
I was hoping for an online app that I could design my own, then print it and take it to the city, but I haven't found any- (Menards has a pretty good one, but it won't do a flat roof).
So I'm taking your advice and drawing it out the best I can, take it to the permit center and see what they say.

I do know that we have a 15' height maximum here, so I'm going to need a flat roof to maximize headroom for the 5th wheel. We have a small city lot, and we're allowed two structures total in the back yard, and the total square feet for both is 800.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 14X36 pole constructed carport, with a 1' overhang all around, giving me 16X 38 of cover.
That will leave me about 300sf to add a shed and single car carport later.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I was hoping for an online app that I could design my own, then print it and take it to the city, but I haven't found any- (Menards has a pretty good one, but it won't do a flat roof).
So I'm taking your advice and drawing it out the best I can, take it to the permit center and see what they say.

I do know that we have a 15' height maximum here, so I'm going to need a flat roof to maximize headroom for the 5th wheel. We have a small city lot, and we're allowed two structures total in the back yard, and the total square feet for both is 800.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 14X36 pole constructed carport, with a 1' overhang all around, giving me 16X 38 of cover.
That will leave me about 300sf to add a shed and single car carport later.
Thanks.

In most jurisdictions they use the overall size counting the overhang, so you may have less than 200 sq ft for any additional structures. I would check that out also, you may not need that big of an overhang since you have about 3 1/2 ft on each side at the 14" size...with no walls, no real need for overhang.

Good Luck. !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
In most jurisdictions they use the overall size counting the overhang, so you may have less than 200 sq ft for any additional structures. I would check that out also, you may not need that big of an overhang since you have about 3 1/2 ft on each side at the 14" size...with no walls, no real need for overhang.

Good Luck. !
Thanks, I'll ask about that. I do know that for setbacks from property lines, they use the side of the building. In Cincinnati, I have to build the "wall" at least 3' from the property line, but the overhang can be closer.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

And I guess my first question should have been- What are the smallest dimensions you would use for a 8X33 foot 5th wheel carport? I do want to keep it as small as possible, while still able to open the slide outs.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

40' length sounds adequate for a 33' rig.. For the width figure what yours is with the slides out and give yourself enough room to walk around them. And I'd go the max height allowed so you could get on top of your rig in the dry if possible.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

I live in the city, and on a corner with my RV parking along a side street with zero clearance to the street. City won't allow a permanent structure, and as it hardly ever freezes and never snows here I just put up a pipe frame and 90% shade cloth to protect the coach from the sun. As it is considered a removable or temporary structure it did not need a permit. Not pretty but it works to keep the hot sun off in the summer.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Thanks, I'll ask about that. I do know that for setbacks from property lines, they use the side of the building. In Cincinnati, I have to build the "wall" at least 3' from the property line, but the overhang can be closer.
As they said in "Pirates of the Caribbean," we view the Code as merely guidelines (or something close to that). My point is, don't be afraid to ask the building code Gods about variances and acceptable excursions from those codes. It happens. Also, you might check with other barn owners (with campers or other uses) about their success in dealing with the building permit office.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Techumseh in Sardina.. Morton on line. Carter Lumber in Batavia
Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
techumseh in sardina.. Morton on line. Carter lumber in batavia
wth?!?!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Techumseh in Sardina.. Morton on line. Carter Lumber in Batavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
wth?!?!
OP ask for sources for plans etc, those are 3 Companies that he can use, 2 of which are within 30 miles of Cincinnati.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #15

No problem with wind???
Old 04-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #16

We built a workshop in 2009, and attached a carport to the side of it for the little Outback Toy Hauler we had at the time.

The carport ended up being 15x45 with one side and the back having metal siding, and the other side and front open. The shop has a garage door that opens by the camper entrance door, and we added both 35 amp and 50 amp electrical outlets (no sewer connection).

We traded the Outback for a Jayco 30.5 RLDS dual slide 5th wheel, and with both slide-outs open (they are on one side only) there is only about an 18 inch walkway down the other side of the camper (less where the poles are). In the back there is 4-5 feet of room depending on how far I back in (which gives us room to load the bike rack prior to pulling out). The poles really intrude on the usable width.

The carport is perfect for storing and servicing the camper, but if I was building it today it would be a couple feet wider and possibly a little longer. I certainly couldn't fit a triple slide camper fully opened as it is.

Our carport and shop was built by National Barn - a large pole barn company out of Oklahoma that does a ton of advertising. Worst mistake we ever made - horrible construction crew, crude fellows who didn't understand basic framing. They were used to putting up barns & didn't even know how to frame a header for a door or window , much less a roof valley. Took months and 2 more crews from Oklahoma to get them to correct everything, and cost me a ton extra when finishing the building as nothing was plumb OR level.

They did furnish engineered construction drawings that met Parish (County - I'm in La.) codes as part of their price. If I had to do it over again I'd pay a local plan service that knows local codes to draw up what I wanted, then subcontract it out myself - hiring framers, roofers, etc. Oh - and it would be traditional framing or modified timber framing - not a pole barn.

That said - if you literally want zero walls then a pole barn might work just fine for your purposes.

Another option is one of the large metal building companies - less framing in the way, and they typically have engineers on staff who can crank out plans for the municipality.

Good Luck
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
No problem with wind???
Not yet, the sides roll up and if big wind is predicted I do that, has survived 35 MPH winds so far. I don't have much choice as the city won't let me build a regular carport.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthRider View Post
We built a workshop in 2009, and attached a carport to the side of it for the little Outback Toy Hauler we had at the time.

The carport ended up being 15x45 with one side and the back having metal siding, and the other side and front open. The shop has a garage door that opens by the camper entrance door, and we added both 35 amp and 50 amp electrical outlets (no sewer connection).

We traded the Outback for a Jayco 30.5 RLDS dual slide 5th wheel, and with both slide-outs open (they are on one side only) there is only about an 18 inch walkway down the other side of the camper (less where the poles are). In the back there is 4-5 feet of room depending on how far I back in (which gives us room to load the bike rack prior to pulling out). The poles really intrude on the usable width.

The carport is perfect for storing and servicing the camper, but if I was building it today it would be a couple feet wider and possibly a little longer. I certainly couldn't fit a triple slide camper fully opened as it is.

Our carport and shop was built by National Barn - a large pole barn company out of Oklahoma that does a ton of advertising. Worst mistake we ever made - horrible construction crew, crude fellows who didn't understand basic framing. They were used to putting up barns & didn't even know how to frame a header for a door or window , much less a roof valley. Took months and 2 more crews from Oklahoma to get them to correct everything, and cost me a ton extra when finishing the building as nothing was plumb OR level.

They did furnish engineered construction drawings that met Parish (County - I'm in La.) codes as part of their price. If I had to do it over again I'd pay a local plan service that knows local codes to draw up what I wanted, then subcontract it out myself - hiring framers, roofers, etc. Oh - and it would be traditional framing or modified timber framing - not a pole barn.

That said - if you literally want zero walls then a pole barn might work just fine for your purposes.

Another option is one of the large metal building companies - less framing in the way, and they typically have engineers on staff who can crank out plans for the municipality.

Good Luck
That's some good information. I was just scratching out possible plans, and with the little bit I know about what we can and can't do in this city, (800 sq ft total, and 15' high, kind of limits me to a flat roof) it's going to be tough to get a trailer and a car covered.
Thank you, that really helps with dimensions, too. I think I'll look at finding someone locally who can draw the plans that will make the city happy, with spans and loads and such.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #19

Couple of pics. The Outback looks tiny in there. The Jayco 5ver FILLS the space.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5067.jpg   Shop 2.jpg  
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southrider View Post
couple of pics. The outback looks tiny in there. The jayco 5ver fills the space.
howry cow!!!