Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

RV Club Memberships

Hey gang,
I知 sort of new to the whole camper world. I知 familiar with them but never owned one. My question is, do you have a membership to any of the RV clubs? If so, which one and why.

We live here in Indiana and most of our trips will be within 300 miles of Indiana. We have a travel trailer and was just curios if they were worth the money or not.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
woggy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #2

Depends on the amount and type of camping you like. We have had KOA card for years, started when we were traveling on the MC. Always knew there would be a certain level of cleanliness etc., like using a brand name motel.. With non affiliated campgrounds it was always a crap shoot. We sometimes join Good Sam...both of these give you a 10% discount in there campgrounds. Doesn't take long for them to pay off, KOA also gives you points for stays and the points count toward more discounts on stays.
I've not had any of the other Clubs out there, so can't comment. If you stay mostly at state or federal parks, no reason to join a club.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Rving Good luck and have fun !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

We are members of GoodSamClub and their Roadside Assistance program. They are a good benefit, if you use them. As far as campground memberships, we don't have one. We stay mostly at State Parks and Corp of Engineer Campgrounds and get those at about half off anyway. Have fun and enjoy!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
Site Team

We have been long time members of Passport America. The annual cost can be saved in just a few times using the card. We primarily use it for overnights when traveling to a destination.

Look at their website and be aware of the restrictions. PM me if you want more specific info.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

FMCA is now open to towables and the extra benefits they provide are well worth the money. As was mentioned GOOD SAM has many local chapters and numerous National get togethers. Not sure if JAYCO JAYFARI is still active, but they had local area chapters too.

http://www.jaycorvclub.com/index.htm
Old 10-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #6

We are members of Good Sam. With the discount on campgrounds we save more than the cost of the membership. We also like their trip planner where you can search routes and campgrounds. There is also a discount at the stores but I find that they mark prices up so high shopping there is rarely worth it.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Once you get a certain age, you can get a "Life Member" offer that ends the yearly payment. It does save $$ because you almost always get a 10% discount if you have a membership.

PPA is almost always 50% if you have it, and participate in the PPA program and are willing to meet their restrictions.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #8

Age, lifetime?
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #9

We currently have memberships in Good Sam, KOA, America The Beautiful (lifetime) and Passport America. We utilize all of these as well as COE’s and state parks as we travel. Each has their own benefits. It really depends on how often you travel and what type of camping you do.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #10

If you or your spouse are 62 get the best club of all the America the Beautiful pass. It went up to $80 but is still a bargain if you visit National parks.

Since getting ours we have saved litteraly $100S!

We can drop into any park we want with no thought as to entrance fees.

I have tried KOA and Good Sam but find we prefer state or National parks.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #11

With you living in Indiana, there are several fantastic state parks within your state. You might want to stay within your state for the first summer and explore your own backyard. You can build up your experience for longer future trips. My .02.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
With you living in Indiana, there are several fantastic state parks within your state. You might want to stay within your state for the first summer and explore your own backyard. You can build up your experience for longer future trips. My .02.

Trust me, I know. That was a big motivating factor when it came to getting a camper in the first place. That within 90 min, we could be at any number of great state parks.
woggy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #13

X2 on the local camping first. We tried the camper for the first time locally and thought we had it down. So we next went 2,000 miles to Yellowstone for 2 weeks.

Whooee was that a mistake. We had no experience with long distance towing. Never thought about the need for an electric heater or a wide variety of clothing.
We also (me) had little experience in picking campsites, campgrounds or where to gas up on the road with a trailer. Far different from my experience with boat trailers when backing up!

So get your feet wet a little at a time and graduate up to bigger trips.

Have fun, the unexpected may place may be the best place to stay or visit.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #14

We belong to Good Sam plus their Roadside Assistance plan. We stay most of the time in state, corps of engineer and forestry service parks. Love them. But not all have full hook-up or dump sites so about 1/3 sites are Good Sam with a few independent private parks. Belong to FMCA also, haven't used much except their newsletter and forums. I use RV Trip Wizard for trip planning and like it, bought it before getting Good Sam so I haven't compared them. Joined RV Repair Club a year ago and am not renewing. Better info on the forums and it seems all they want to do is sell you DVD sets. We purchased America the Beautiful National Parks passes back when they were $10 lifetime but well worth the extra cost at today's price. We also purchase a senior annual state park pass for our state, $35 per year. I have a park 5 miles from my coach and they allow free dumping any time with my pass so I can dump and clean my tanks after trips. Check your state for the same.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #15

We belong to Thousand Trails, we have 3 campsites within 2 hours and 5 within three hours. Yes some of them are dated and crowded but they offer full hookups which keeps the wifey singing in the shower. We are just the lowest on the totem pole for the membership, I think its around 450 or so but that includes as much as we want to go as long as its not longer than 14 days in a row.. Us being weekend warriors, it suits us just fine. Leave our house at 4 or 5 pm and all set up by 7 or 8 pm.
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #16

Route 66 RV Club, which is a dealer network:
ROUTE 66 RV Club
They have a couple different tiers of membership you can purchase:

1) Basic "Club" membership, which includes 10% off parts at the affiliated dealers (there is a smartphone app for locating) and 1-year of KOA Value Kard Rewards (KOA VKR) membership, which gives 10% off at KOA campgrounds, plus points accumulation on your KOA card. There's a few other perks like discounted hotel, golf fees, auto rentals, etc.

2) Club + Tech24, which offers a 24-hour tech support line if you are handy and carry tools and just need a few hints over the phone to debug/fix something yourself to get back underway.

3) Club + Tech24 + Roadside Assistance, for when you need someone to come out to the coach or a tow to a service point.

The "Club" is a branding of the Route 66 dealer network. The majority of "club" services not provided at the dealer's locations are contracted out and are actually provided by SafeRide Motor Club, Inc.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggy718 View Post
Hey gang,
I知 sort of new to the whole camper world. I知 familiar with them but never owned one. My question is, do you have a membership to any of the RV clubs? If so, which one and why.

We live here in Indiana and most of our trips will be within 300 miles of Indiana. We have a travel trailer and was just curios if they were worth the money or not.

We have Good Sam for the discounts. Saved a bunch so far and the Camping world discounts are great. We have Coach-net for roadside assistance and had to use it once. They were great in a pinch.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggy718 View Post
Hey gang,

Hello neighbor. I'm in Indiana also! Like most responses, I belong to KOA and Good Sams with the Roadside Assistance. The roadside assistance is well worth the money. The service is not just limited to your TT but any car in your household. Over the years they have unlocked cars for my wife and daughters numerous times with no co-pay. KOA is a great option when you don't want to use a state park or just want a few more amenities like water, sewer and cable at your site. Very few state parks in Indiana offer water, sewer, and electric (full-hookups) at the campsite. Good Sam opens up other opportunities for saving money from the Pilot Flying J discounts to RV insurance. I don't have Passport America yet, but it is on my list of things to do in 2019.

Happy camping. Perhaps we will see you out there in Indiana!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #19

I have one dozen FREE day passes ($10 value) for the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc) International Convention being held in Perry, GA (central GA on I-75). The dates are March 13-16. If you are going to be in the area, or passing through, you might want to check it out.

If interested, send me a PM with mailing address and how many passes you are interested in.

These passes are good for RV displays and Supplier Exhibits. Also they can be used for $10 off first year of a new membership or $10 off for access to Seminars and Entertainment.

FMCA, in addition to Class A, B, and C units, is accepting TT as members. They have some, what I think, are great benefits including tire discounts, free FMC assist (medical transport for both full timers and if traveling more than 100 miles from home, wireless data plans, road service, etc).

We joined a few months ago and happened to be the 3000 TT members. FMCA called and gave us an additional 5yr membership for being #3000.

If you would like more information on FMCA, here is their site:

www.FMCA.com
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
We joined a few months ago and happened to be the 3000 TT members. FMCA called and gave us an additional 5yr membership for being #3000.

If you would like more information on FMCA, here is their site:

www.FMCA.com
Great organization, with great benefits. I think they even have a group Medical insurance plan.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote