Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

RV Cover

I’m sure this has been hashed out a 100 times on this forum but I can’t seem to find any posts regarding RV covers. I’ve had people tell me not to use covers because they can’t breath enough to stop mold and mildew and also strong winds cause chafing on the RV’s paint. What’s everyone’s thought on covers and what brand do you guys suggest? I have a 2017 Eagle ht 27.5 and live in northern NY with lots of snow. Thank you for any replies
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #2

I have a Classic Accessories brand cover. Really nice cover. At the corners and strap points I use a few layers of painter's tape to keep it from rubbing the paint, etc. I took a pool noodle and cut it into pieces to cover the gutter extensions, tv antenna, radio antenna,... pieces of cardboard around sharp corners like the fold down steps and bumper corners.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Site Team

The last couple we've bought were Adco. We're in western NY, and although we don't get the lake effect from the east shore of Lake Ontario, if the winds shift, we get the occasional nor'easter. The last one we bought was in 2012, and it's showing it's age now.

When I read reviews on ANY brand of cover, there seems to always be a 50/50 split between those that like them, and those that say they're junk. Except for the $600 jobbie, who's name escapes me right now.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #4

We bought an Elements cover from CW primarily to protect the TT a bit from our intense summer sun. Trouble is, we are usually traveling more than it sits in the summer months. But I’ve thrown it on for some stretches between trips. Use tennis balls to cover the downspouts and a couple of towels to protect it on the corners. I’ve been impressed with the Elements quality.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Do you guys have an issue with the wind chaffing the paint on the RV from the covers moving or can you get the cover tight enough so it doesn’t cause any damage? I’ve never actually seen a cover on an RV
Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

I have thought about a cover for my class C, but concerned with wind where I live. Spring and fall can be brutal here with days at a time of 35 plus mph winds. Our summers get into the 100's and we have a lot of sun, so after 3 years I am seeing a bit of haziness on the south (back) of the MH. I just try to keep it waxed and will hope that it holds up as I have concerns about the chafing of paint from wind and dust that will certainly blow up under it.

I sure have been tempted though. I built my shop before we thought about another motorhome. Sure wish I would have went up one foot higher
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

I borrowed my neighbors bobcat and made a large area to push snow into and I park the 5th wheel there in the summer. It’s nice and shaded there all day so sun isn’t an issue but where I park it for the winter it gets a lot of wind and snow. I’ve been tempted to get a cover for a couple years now but haven’t yet
Old 08-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Do you guys have an issue with the wind chaffing the paint on the RV from the covers moving or can you get the cover tight enough so it doesn’t cause any damage? I’ve never actually seen a cover on an RV
We've never had any damage to our TT from the cover. We're careful to get it snugged down with the straps, tennis balls on the gutter extensions and, and any sharp corners get covered. The exposure of your TT to wind, etc., will determine how long the cover will last. The one we have now we bought in 2012 when we got this TT, and was warrantied for two years. I do need to put a couple of patches on it before we put it on again, or maybe replace it with a new one. It definitely has served us well beyond it's supposed life span. Our TT just sits beside the house in the open.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #9

Do you shovel or pull the snow off your TT or leave it on ?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
Site Team

Never have. There's been more than a foot or two up there. We just let mother nature take away what she put up there!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Never have. There's been more than a foot or two up there. We just let mother nature take away what she put up there!
Any damage to the cover or items on the roof from the weight of the snow?

I bought a cover earlier in the year, for Winter storage. We can get those 1+ foot snowfalls too. Wondering what stress the snow puts on the cover and things like the TV antenna, vent covers, A/C housing, etc. along with the "sling effect" on the cover between these raised areas.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Site Team

It does push on the roof stuff, but to date has never damaged anything. Ours is small, so there's only one roof vent (with Maxxair cover), the A/C, tv and radio antennas, skylight and two tank vents. The area for the most concern is the TV antenna. That's the spot on ours that get worn the most. I probably should have thought of putting something over it to buffer the edges. The radio antenna folds down by loosening a screw, so that's not a concern.

There's been no problem with slinging. the cover will adjust slowly as the snow builds up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Thanks... I think the TV antenna is the weak link in the chain, gonna have to figure out how to protect it from the weight. The two vent covers and A/C I'm not concerned about.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #14

Calmark
Old 08-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #15

Ok thanks for the help
Old 08-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #16

RetiredOne I went out and was looking at the roof on my 5th wheel and I think if I measure the height of the antenna and cut a 5 gallon pail at that measurement it will fit right over the top of it. You could use a pool noodle and cut it length wise to fit the bottom of the pail so the sharp edge doesn’t cut into the EPDM roofing.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

You read my mind, I was thinking a 5 gallon bucket probably work over the antenna. Thanks for the tip about the pool noodle, or even use a piece of pipe insulation that already come cut with the slit.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #18

I was thinking that to with the pipe insulation cause I have some leftover. You know what they say great minds think alike lol
Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #19

I emailed Calmark for a quote on a cover for my 5th wheel and they just got back to me. $1,400.00 plus shipping. I think I might go with a different brand from Camping World
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #20

I've used a cover for the seven years we've owned a TT (we're located on Long Island, NY). I've had no issues with damage to either trailer, no mold or mildew. The first cover lasted four off seasons before it began to tear and wear through in many places. In my opinion the cover provides excellent protection from the elements and when I uncover in the Spring I'm greeted with a clean trailer ready for the first trip. For about $60/year it's cheap protection for the trailer finish and roof. After five years the first trailer I had looked new (we camp ~30 days a year).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote