Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

RV Expandable Water Hose

I have an expandable water hose that I use around the house and I like the fact that it's light weight and that it compact and stores easily. I can't use it for my RV because it's not safe to drink from (lead and chemicals). I can't seem to find a expandable hose that's good quality that I can use in my RV. Anyone using a quality expandable hose that's drink safe? A white expandable hose in the 25' range would be a bonus.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

I just purchased a 50' expandable water hose for my RV that is safe for drinking water. I purchased it at Lowes.

Edit: They had 25' as well.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Dan

Did you get the “RV” hose or the regular hose? I noticed the ones not specifically marked for Rv are drinking water safe. I almost got one today but didn’t buy it. Hopefully it’ll still be on sale when I go back.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #4

I don't remember seeing "RV" anywhere on the packaging. It said that is was safe for drinking water...and it was ON SALE, so I purchased it. I just took it out to the RV about an hour ago and put it in the basement. I decided to keep the old hose just in case...
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #5

I should add that the new expandable hose takes up WAY less room than the old regular hose. It fits in my "fresh water" Ziplock tote perfectly.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks Dan. Guess I’m going back to Lowe’s for the 50’er!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a Lowes that's close but I'll check out their website. I would probably get the 25' hose. I can't seeing needing any long.

Do you remember the manufacture's name?
Old 07-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #8

This is the hose..https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zero-G-5-8-...ose/1000168063

Just make sure it's the one that is safe for drinking water.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #9

Been drinking water from a "regular" garden hose for at least 57 yrs, still around with no ill effects.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
Site Team

When these shrink hoses first came out they were prone to burst with continuous pressure on them. Hopefully they have improved the materials.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When these shrink hoses first came out they were prone to burst with continuous pressure on them. Hopefully they have improved the materials.
That's what I've heard as well. However, I do have one of the original 25' green "as seen on TV" hoses that I've had for the past 3 years. I only use it for the black flush on the RV and it's still going strong!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #12

I have had 2 of the expandable hoses burst when I forgot to turn the water off. These were for the garden, both in the $35 to $40 range. Leary of trying one on the RV as it would be under continuous pressure.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
This is the hose..https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zero-G-5-8-...ose/1000168063

Just make sure it's the one that is safe for drinking water.
I saw that hose on Amazon but didn't buy it because of the terrible rating it received. Amazon customers replied that the hose failed after only a couple of uses.

How long have you been using it? Maybe by using my RV water pressure limiter on the hose it would last.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #14

I also lost one of these hoses due to pressure leaks even with my pressure reducer at the faucet. I'll stick with the tried and true white rv hoses.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
I saw that hose on Amazon but didn't buy it because of the terrible rating it received. Amazon customers replied that the hose failed after only a couple of uses.

How long have you been using it? Maybe by using my RV water pressure limiter on the hose it would last.

I just bought it on Friday...so haven’t used it yet. It was on sale, so it was an impulse buy. I’ll definitely be keeping the receipt in case it needs to go back. I’ll try it out on our next trip at the end of the month. I’m keeping my old hose just in case!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #16

I always kept my white drinking hoses in a plastic tote with a lid. I noticed this spring that the hoses and everything inside the tote got moldy over the winter. Threw out the hoses and tote, soaked everything else in bleach water. I had been thinking about the Zero G hoses before so I decided this was a perfect opportunity to try them. I went to Lowes and purchased 2 of the 25' hoses, these are in the garden section, but say on the label that they can be used as drinking hoses. I see online that Zero G also makes an RV specific drinking hose, it looks just like the garden, but I think it costs more. Anyway, I have been using the Zero G so far this year and I'm very happy with it. We have camped about 3 times, the last time was our big trip out west that was 18 days straight. We were in 5 different campgrounds over that time, never had an issue. I do use a pressure regulator. One of those campgrounds was at Lake Meade in Nevada, the daytime temp was 113 degrees, our campsite was on concrete and stone. We didn't even use hot water heater, only had to turn on the cold to take a shower. I now keep the hoses in a 5 gallon bucket, just screw the ends of the hose together so critters and such don't get in them. I think the bucket will work better so the hoses can dry out and not get moldy.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
I always kept my white drinking hoses in a plastic tote with a lid. I noticed this spring that the hoses and everything inside the tote got moldy over the winter. Threw out the hoses and tote, soaked everything else in bleach water. I had been thinking about the Zero G hoses before so I decided this was a perfect opportunity to try them. I went to Lowes and purchased 2 of the 25' hoses, these are in the garden section, but say on the label that they can be used as drinking hoses. I see online that Zero G also makes an RV specific drinking hose, it looks just like the garden, but I think it costs more. Anyway, I have been using the Zero G so far this year and I'm very happy with it. We have camped about 3 times, the last time was our big trip out west that was 18 days straight. We were in 5 different campgrounds over that time, never had an issue. I do use a pressure regulator. One of those campgrounds was at Lake Meade in Nevada, the daytime temp was 113 degrees, our campsite was on concrete and stone. We didn't even use hot water heater, only had to turn on the cold to take a shower. I now keep the hoses in a 5 gallon bucket, just screw the ends of the hose together so critters and such don't get in them. I think the bucket will work better so the hoses can dry out and not get moldy.

Thank you for the reply. I guess I'll give the Zero G hose a try
Old 07-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #18

Here's the drinking safe coil hose I've been using for the past 7 years. Good quality and great in cold weather. Also comes in colors. I have the 50' green one.
https://www.waterrightinc.com/collec...ater-coil-hose

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Been drinking water from a "regular" garden hose for at least 57 yrs, still around with no ill effects.
How much hair do you have left? Anywhere?
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #20

Working at hardware stores I can tell you most of the expandable hoses are returned. I have not seen one safe for drinking water and would not trust them to hold the pressure for any length of time. We sold all kinds of them, seen on TV, etc and expensive ones...none were worth a damn in the long run. The blue hose is stronger than the white ones. I carry both, plus a regular hose for black tank rinse.
If you buy one, save your receipts.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote