Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

RV Insurance

Just purchased a 2017 Jayco Class C. I called my insurance company and was informed they do not cover motor homes over $100K. The sent me to Progressive who wrote the policy. I have since been quoted a like policy for $50 less per month with Safeco. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies. Would it be s good move to switch to Safeco?
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
Just purchased a 2017 Jayco Class C. I called my insurance company and was informed they do not cover motor homes over $100K. The sent me to Progressive who wrote the policy. I have since been quoted a like policy for $50 less per month with Safeco. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies. Would it be s good move to switch to Safeco?
I bought a new Jayflight 267bhsw 1 year ago. My first year rate was $400. Just got my renewal for year 2 and they went up to $500... 20%! I haven't had to make a claim so I cannot speak for that side of it. I have a few weeks to look at other companies before mine renews again. I know my less than $10/mo increase is far less than what you will save with Safeco but I would be leery about that rate being the same after the first year.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Another thread here mentions National General. I just quoted through them and it was the same price as my first year policy with Safeco. I will probably go that route.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

We went with National General Insurance through Good Sams. We bought new and our premiums have gone down - but maybe that was because my driving record improved (I got tagged driving the WRX vigorously a few years ago).

Anyway, they also make it easy to switch your insurance on and off - how frequently, I don't know. We've made no claims, so I don't know what their retention policy is.
pokergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

I got slammed with a huge increase by Progressive this year (no claims or tickerts) and went with National General (Good Sam) for a much better rate. Biggest difference was that NG had no roadside inclusion. I'm still covered by my Ford roadside, so I'll look more after my Ford roadside runs out. Coach-net used to be a good deal but I see their rates have really increased recently.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #6

The key is "Where do you live". In Ohio Progressive was our best deal for an RV, not so in FL.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

We have Safeco on house, cars, boat, and fifthwheel . Had to use them once it was completely painless. We have had them for years wouldn't switch for anything
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

We have National General because Allstate would not cover our F450. And the only way National General would insure it was having the 5vr on the plan as well. Our rates went up considerably this year but we also had a claim on the truck/trailer from an accident. Not too worried yet.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We have National General because Allstate would not cover our F450. And the only way National General would insure it was having the 5vr on the plan as well. Our rates went up considerably this year but we also had a claim on the truck/trailer from an accident. Not too worried yet.
X2. Same scenario for me in Indiana. Allstate would not insure F450. So I went the Good Sam route and ended up with National General. I have been with them almost 3 years. I like the fact you can drop the liability coverage when you put the RV in storage for the off season. I also have the vanishing deductible which is nice. I ended up moving all my cars to National General. I saved a little over $100 a month from Allstate.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
I've been with Liberty Mutual for 38 years. Added our fifth wheel when we purchased it in April of this year............$245.00 per year for full coverage......I'm happy
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #11

I use State Farm for a personal items clause. They insured it for $65,000 (retail) and it’s like $320 a year. I have a few policies with them like my wife’s engagement ring. Covers anything you can think of that may happen. State Farm’s also the only people to insure my tractor since Progressive and others won’t. Again they had to do it as a personal item cause they don’t have the info for “tractors.”
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #12

Wink Ontario canada

Called ours for new 2019 Greyhawk MV and it's 1300$ a year much better than expected
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #13

RV Insurance

Allstate in Georgia insured our 2016 Jayco Grayhawk for $263.00 per year ($88,000) until we had a "put a scratch-on-the paint-of your-car" accident who is currently suing us for $100,000 Now our coverage has gone up to $430/year.

Holly
Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

Insurance

I am a former Liberty Mutual employee....no insurance on MH over $70,000. First 2 years best quote was with Goid Sam/ National General. Now this year increase of $100! Other quote by Pregressive is $78 cheaper but a tad better coverage. Sticking with NG for another year..we will see.....
Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #15

I had Safeco on a rental home. Recently had a mold claim. They paid timely and were reasonable when I disputed something they denied. They ended up covering that part as well.

Good luck!
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokergeist View Post
We went with National General Insurance through Good Sams. We bought new and our premiums have gone down - but maybe that was because my driving record improved (I got tagged driving the WRX vigorously a few years ago).

Anyway, they also make it easy to switch your insurance on and off - how frequently, I don't know. We've made no claims, so I don't know what their retention policy is.
We also use National General (Good Sam). I had Progressive Insurance on my Pinnacle and after one claim they increased the cost by $200. National General quoted me a price that was half of what I was paying Progressive before the claim and increase. Have had National General now for 3 years and love them.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #17

We are with National Genera on the 5er, and have had one claim. They took care of it promptly, and we were very satisfied with their service. You can get a liability rate reduction anytime you put the camper in storage, and get a refund for that amount. Rate goes back up to normal whenever you take the unit out of storage.
For those of you who are military veterans, or have parents who are veterans, the way to go is USAA for car or truck insurance. They are much cheaper than anybody else, and give great service. When we switched from State Farm to USAA, we saw a $300+ reduction for the same coverage.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
We are with National Genera on the 5er, and have had one claim. They took care of it promptly, and we were very satisfied with their service. You can get a liability rate reduction anytime you put the camper in storage, and get a refund for that amount. Rate goes back up to normal whenever you take the unit out of storage.
For those of you who are military veterans, or have parents who are veterans, the way to go is USAA for car or truck insurance. They are much cheaper than anybody else, and give great service. When we switched from State Farm to USAA, we saw a $300+ reduction for the same coverage.
We use Progressive for all of our insurance and I am active duty army. I would never go back to USAA for coverage. We had them for a year, switched from Progressive, as we thought we were getting a great rate. That was until I reread the fine print! We got great rates at the state minimums 25k/50k coverage!! When I asked for a quote at the higher 100k/300k coverages I wanted, the rate was triple what Progressive quoted us. Switched back and have been mostly happy ever since. When the toyhauler was stolen, they handled everything right away with almost zero hassle. Never zero hassle any time you deal with insurance!!
I might look at Safeco and National General again just to see if what we are paying is close.
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #19

I had Progressive for the first year, and like many others, they jacked up my rates for the second year. I contacted others but settled with FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association). Their rates were not only the lowest but by joining, I was provided many additional benefits. The staff was exceptionally friendly as well.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Another take: I've used Amica for years. Fair rates, pays with out an argument.
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote