Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

RV Insurance

We sold our So Cal residence in July 2019 and established residency in South Dakota for tax reasons and because we haven't purchased any other real estate. FMCA suggested. Passenger vehicle insurance and registration went down 40 to 50%. My insurance quote with Good Sam (client 5 years-no claims) went from $850 to $4073 with same coverage. Input old So Cal address and quote stayed at $850. Is this something the northern climes pay for their RV coverage?
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #2

I live in Buffalo and only pay $123.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
CAG

That seems a little strange. Have you called Good Sam and asked?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #4

X2 CAG. Give them a call.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #5

So for your Seneca it was $850 in SoCal but in South Dakota it's $4100? Somethings amiss here. I'd redo the online quote and if that doesn't fix it do as suggested above and call em. I don't have a Seneca but my RV insurance here in Indiana is $300 a year.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #6

Really scratching my stuff here. Called National General (Good Sam Insurance) and was quoted $3880. Same as their online quote. Paid $640 last year and have been insured with them for 5 years. Nothing different except a change of residence to South Dakota. Called State Farm where I've had cars for 40 years and $1800 quote. Progressive was $1737. Geico won the match at $874 for a year. Ya, the coach is still worth $100,000+ used according to the book, but who's paying $320 a month for insurance? No accidents-don't drink or smoke. And I have an engaging smile....
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 01-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #7

I just hate it when people say "how can you stand it in NY - the taxes are so high and its so expensive to live there."

I had a friend who moved to **** and found that all his insurances went up significantly, as did his water bill, electric, street light tax, etc. But what really made him mad was now he had to pay a personal property tax on everything. His motorhome and 30' yacht just about broke him.

So, what is auto insurance in South Dakota?
Old 01-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
His motorhome and 30' yacht just about broke him.
You're joking right?

Old 01-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You're joking right?
It was an exaggeration. He was not actually "broke", but ended up having to scale back his lifestyle a bit.

Insurance for both his toys was high to begin with, but now after moving both bills went up significantly. But what he didn't expect was the personal property tax. Now, in ADDITION to insurance he had to pay a hefty EXTRA tax just for the privilege of owning his toys, even though they were both paid for.

In the end, he retired with a fixed income and expected to live comfortably in a lower cost state, but ended up paying more living expenses than before.

Its not always greener.....
Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I just hate it when people say "how can you stand it in NY - the taxes are so high and its so expensive to live there."
Yeah, well. I'm moving to western NY later this year and am already in shock over having to pay 400% more in property tax, plus income tax, plus your hokey vehicle inspections. i can hardly wait to see what tags will cost for the car, let alone the RV.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Yeah, well. I'm moving to western NY later this year and am already in shock over having to pay 400% more in property tax, plus income tax, plus your hokey vehicle inspections. i can hardly wait to see what tags will cost for the car, let alone the RV.
I traveled extensively for my company for 45 years. Many a promotion was turned down because I wouldn't move since I KNEW the grass wasn't greener. In the long run my income was stunted because of it.

The general way of life in WNY is that if kids HAVE to move, their dream is always to move back. My retired buddy, with tears in his eyes, told me that all 5 of his children and 12 grandchildren are all finally back home again.

Truth be told, we like it when people don't want to move here. The traffic is already heavy enough...LOL. IMHO, the best approach in life is to find a place that is truly where you want to live, and then find a job there. Jobs and houses are easy to find; hating where you live is unacceptable.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
The general way of life in WNY is that if kids HAVE to move, their dream is always to move back.
I left at 19 and 52 years later still have no dream of moving back. Only going there due to age and all my family that's left is there. Oh, your humidity sucks too

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #13

Just received an email renewal notice from National General for my Seneca policy using California as it's 'garaged' address. It is $1074 for California, but quoted $3880 when using a South Dakota garage. Same coverages. The Geico agent I signed with he said the difference between his online quote and the final quote was not having a residential address. Full-timer pricing added $60. I've only been to South Dakota twice and there are more hay bales than people. Got a license 4 months ago and it's number 018740XX. Not even 2 million driver's licenses issued since the car was invented.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
I left at 19 and 52 years later still have no dream of moving back. Only going there due to age and all my family that's left is there. Oh, your humidity sucks too
Best wished to you then. I hope your upcoming years are better than you expect.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #15
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Oh, your humidity sucks too
Yes it does...but it's FREE here! (So far).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #16
Site Team

Who's looking for humidity? It's free and plenty here in coastal SC!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #17

I know those states like Montana,North Dakota and South Dakota get many hail storms.
Maybe that has something to do with the pricing?

We drove to Billings Montana late oct. and I noticed a lot of parked trailers had hail damage.Even my friends toy hauler.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #18
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
I know those states like Montana,North Dakota and South Dakota get many hail storms.
Maybe that has something to do with the pricing?

We drove to Billings Montana late oct. and I noticed a lot of parked trailers had hail damage.Even my friends toy hauler.
If we use that criteria then California insurance should be twice as much with earthquakes, fires and unlicensed/uninsured illegal alien drivers

Having lived in the Plains I can say yes there are hail storms, and tornadoes but they are no more prevalent than other of nature's weather.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #19

I have Progressive on our fifth wheel which is registered in Washington state. We are full time and pay $720 yearly. Progressive has the most comprehensive policy for full timers that I've seen. It's mirrors an actual homeowners policy instead of a basic RV policy.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #20

I don't get the WNY humidity issue. Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, et.al. have humidity. Arizona is so far in the other direction that you can't even blow your nose without a nosebleed. NY has moderate humidity, moderate weather and NO hurricanes, tornadoes, bugs or tumbleweed.