Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

RV Insurance for Canadians?

So just heard from my broker and they won't be dealing with Echelon any longer. My fifth wheel was through them at 279$/yr. Wawanesa insures my vehicles and an RV quote from them is almost double and might not include loss of use and other RV specific stuff.

Who else is out there that's reasonable? Wayfarer online quote was even higher.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

Our RV insurance is through our home policy.
If the RV is connected to the TV, it's covered under the existing auto policy (no rider on this!), but the theft/vandalism/damage (stationary, not being towed) coverage is through a rider on our home policy.

Just a note: Your auto policy should cover the RV if actively towing for both damages received (not at fault collision), or liabilities (trailer sways and clips another vehicle, damaging said vehicle).
If the RV is parked, unattached to TV, and rolls down the hill and smashes into something, it's the home policy rider for that RV that comes into play here.

Edit: A tree falling on the RV while towing behind the TV... I have no idea which policy comes into play. :P
curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Thanks curls. When in transit the liability for the trailer falls under the truck as you said.

The policy we have with Echelon covers loss of use, depreciation waiver, theft, vandalism, etc. I can get insurance to cover part of that but as we use it for 4-5 months in the winter I need/should have the rest of what an actual RV policy covers. I put a call into a local broker for an Aviva quote. Just doesn't seem to be as many options for RV coverage in Canada as there is in the US.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

My RV insurance is through Aviva. My broker checked with a few others (including bundling it with my house insurance with Travelers), and Aviva was still the cheapest.

No idea how well they pay for claims though. Going to talk with my neighbour when he gets back after his trailer flipped in the tornado. Dealer said it was going to be borderline to be written off, but no official word from insurance yet.

After the scare from the tornado, I'm certainly going to be taking a closer look at my policies and talking with others who made claims to see who seems to be the most reasonable (and not necessarily the cheapest)...
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Mine is a 2014 Jayco X19H. I'm in the GTA area of Ontario

I'm with Aviva Insurance (Broker found this company to be the best for me).

Pay including Tax $393 / year
Inc.
Guaranteed Replacement
Replacemen Cost All Risks
Detached Private Structures
Personal Property
Emergency Vacation Exps
Liabiltiy
Declaration of Emergency
Water Protection
Emergency Roadside Assistance
Voluntary Medical Payments