Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #1

RV outletl cost

Hi,

Just brought my 26BH home (pics to follow). The guy who did my walk through was iffy on whether or not my AC would work plugged into a standard 15amp outlet in my garage (probably because it is iffy).

BUT, because I have a breaker box with spare breakers in my garage, he suggested I have an electrician install a 30amp outlet right there. How much ought such an install cost?

Oh, and since my kid really really wants to spend the night in camp driveway tonight, and it's well over 90 out, just how iffy is plugging into a standard outlet if I only run the ac?

Thanks!

B
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

If all you are going to turn on and run is the A/C, you would be fine for this occassion. If you decide to run lights, Television or Stereo and the A/C, you may find yourself resetting the breaker a few times. DO NOT run the A/C and microwave at the same or you will have more problems than you want.
If you already have a 15 amp service now and want to upgrade to 30 amp, you may need to run new wire and change the breaker from 15 to 30 amp.
It all depends on how long the wire run is from the breaker and what size wire you have installed now.
It would be best to run new wire from the breaker box to the outlet so you do not have issues later.
Depending on the length of wire run will also depend on how much it costs. It could be anywhere from $150.00 up to $400.00.
Again, I have no idea where the outlet and breaker box is located. Just giving you a rough idea at this point.
GOOD LUCK and enjoy all the time you can with the family!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Breaker box is 6 feet in from the garage door. I'd want to have a new outlet installed between the two. When I said I had spare breakers, I meant room in the panel to add a new dedicated circuit just for the RV plug. House has 400A service coming in.

B
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #4

I routinely plug my trailer shore cord into a 15amp outlet in my garage and run the air conditioner and the refrigerator and a couple of lights in my trailer at the same time. PLEASE NOTE: you will need an adapter to mate the 30amp shore cord to a standard 15amp outlet.

I have tripped the breaker a couple of times when I have been running the air conditioner and a household va***n cleaner at the same time. Reminds me to run one or the other but not both at the same time.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

If you've got room on the box and can get someone to install a 30amp plug, go for it. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for the convenience of it, though.

We were supposed to have guests for the weekend and were going to put them up in the trailer. I ran the A/C for about an hour for the first time just the other day (just to see how good it was....and it was GOOD). Blew the breaker about 2 minutes into it - Once I reset that I discovered that I couldn't run the A/C with anything else running (h/w tank, pump etc.).. So long as the A/C was running alone the circuit was fine. Once I shut everything off except the A/C it was fine with the 15amp plug.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #6

Electrician already came and went, and now my 8 yr old and I are spending the night in Camp Driveway with ac running, water heating, lights shining, radio blaring...

I can get used to this kind of camping. Former Army Ranger or not, I'm not so keen on sleeping on flat rocks any more!

B
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #7

Glad to see you installed the 30amp plug.. some people get away with running their A/C on 15 amps but eventually it will catch up with them. Burning out compressors is not my idea of a fun time.. Manufactures install a 30 amp plug for a reason..
Seann
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

I tried running the fridge and the A/C at the same time one night packing up, mind you, I had used a 25' 12ga extension cord, which was heating up too. I got about 3 minutes before the breaker blew...

So, last night, I installed a 30A RV circuit. I used 10/2 wire for a 3 foot run right next to the fuse box.

$12 for the 30A single pole breaker
$12 for the 30A RV outlet
$7 for 10/2 wire
$5 for the box and 2 cable connectors

$59 for a 25' 30A extension cord for the RV (this I can take with me for awkward sites)

6 hours total, shopping, a little research and going slow to be safe.

Now, I understand that for safety, security and probably legality, I should have called an electrician, but I am a DIY'er and I like to teach myself how to do things.

But for all that, being able to sit in the driveway with the A/C on, when it's 104F, and being able to make some popcorn in the microwave... I have to agree with Merlinspop, that's priceless!

-Stephen
Husky WD Hitch (600-800lbs)
steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #9

Details

Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #10

Great info
Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #11

Details

Glad I could help ....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinspop View Post
Electrician already came and went, and now my 8 yr old and I are spending the night in Camp Driveway with ac running, water heating, lights shining, radio blaring...

I can get used to this kind of camping. Former Army Ranger or not, I'm not so keen on sleeping on flat rocks any more!

B
I read you loud and clear. I spent 13 years in the Cdn military and spent lots of time in the boonies. I vowed to never go through that again, so now I want the convenience, of hot running water, heat, and when the weather is bad, a movie or TV. We have not had a need for A/C this year in my part of the world as it has been the coldest in history, but my furnace works great!!!
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #13

When I bought my used TT last summer I wanted to be able to plug it in incase guests stayed there, and to be able to cool the fridge before a trip. Since I have a bit of knowledge installing breakers and outlets, I went to work. Unfortunatley the only place I could park my TT was almost 100' from my breaker box, and I knew I would have to run the new cable under ground for most of the run. The 100' of buriable cable cost around $110 at the local hardware and Luckily they had one 30A outlet in stock. The whole job took about 6 hours because I had to dig the trench for the cable but it all went well and only cost about $130 total. I did however use a 15A outlet near the TT for a few days before I was able to get and install the new line, and everything in the TT worked fine. I did not use more than one appliance at a time as I was aware that I was on 1/2 power.
I had read on a forum that you should not try running AC and microwave at the same time even when plugged in on a 30A corcut so I was avoiding doing so but on our 2nd outing the only electrical hookup that worked was the 50A and I plugged into it using an adaptor. Family was visiting and grandkids running about and the AC was going and I forgot and turned on the microwave. Guess what, nothing happened, everything worked great. I may change out the 30A breaker to a 50A as I know I used heavy enough cable but it's fine for now. I don't like to fix what isn't broke.
Bearly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #14

Ranger woos! I slept with my ex for 20 years! Way to go for your child. He or she is going to be just fine in these tough times to raise a kid.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearly51 View Post
The 100' of buriable cable cost around $110
Considering copper prices right now, that aint bad! What gauge did you run?

I recently had mine done and it turned out just ok...My well pump wire went bad and I had to have it replaced. They were charging $2 a foot for the wire, labor and burial. Since they were already out there with a trencher I had them go ahead and run a 100 foot line to my RV. I really wanted #8, but all they had was #10.....it is not bad, but I often have low voltage being far out on a rural road and the small gauge compounds it. I went ahead and installed a Progressive EMS just to be double safe.

Sure is nice having dedicated power! I can leave my fridge cold and battery charged.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
I just put in a pad/power/water/sewer for mine. The wire (#8) was $3 foot! Just the wire times 3 for hi lo and earth!!!! $9/foot!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #17

I installed a 4 X 4 post in the ground and buried some heavy duty cable and put up a regular travel trailer outlet with box. When I park my unit now, I can plug it right in. Lets me cool down the fridge the day before we are going camping so everything stays cold when we put the food in. I like the DIY part too if I don't overload myself, which does happen occasionally! lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #18

Tafische, I used 10 guage as recommended by my son who is in his 4th year of 5 as an apprentice electrician. I also had him inspect my install and he gave me a thumbs up.
Bearly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #19

Definately install a 110/120 - 30A outlet with 30A breaker. If uncertain where to install a Service Post or 30A outlet on outside wall, simply install a 30A outlet inside the garage (close to its exit doors). Then, purchase the needed length 30A cord. Especially if you only plan to "plug in" a few times a year. But if leaving plugged in 24/7 (or more then say 6+ times a year), do install a proper weather resistant 30A outlet out side (on the garage wall or on a service post).

It it were my place, I'd install the proper 30A outlet BEFORE turning on the TT's AC unit. Too little of power can seriously hurt an AC unit. And why "over hurt" an AC unit when one doesn't have to.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote