Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #1

RV Pad Finally a Reality!

After decades of dreaming, years of white knuckle parking and jacking experiences, and 9 months of contractor interviews, we finally bit the bullet. The concrete is done, all but the cure. We lack the electrical, the carport cover, and the remaining landscaping. We are currently finishing the landscaping; The electrical and carport will wait while we recover from this investment.

Before and Beginning the Job:
Attached Thumbnails
Before the Demo.jpg   Front View.jpg   Back Yard View.jpg   The New Look.jpg  
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

Next Phase

Excavation and Start of Walls - The month without AC in the Alabama summer begins. Just like our childhood. Turn on a fan, open the windas, and suck on some ice:
Attached Thumbnails
Front View Excavation.jpg   Side Front Excavation.jpg   Back Yard View Excavation.jpg   The Mounds.jpg   Front Footer.jpg  

Front Wall Start 2.jpg   Side Yard Wall Start.jpg   Front Yard Getting Level.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

It is Actually Real!

The Concrete Begins, and the New Look Unfolds (landscaping pics as we finish the beds and plant the grass. The driveway is 45' at the mouth and 4" w/rebar and fiber, and the RV pad is 34' x 27' and 6" with rebar and fiber. Crankin' the AC!

Attached Thumbnails
Driveway Day 4 of Cure.jpg   Front Wall Finished.jpg   Drive with Side Wall Finished.jpg   RV Pad!.jpg   RV Pad from Rear.jpg  

Finally Some Concrete!.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #4

Nice. We have the space but not the clearance - the trailer is required to be behind the rear corner of the house We would need permission from the state to enlarge the drive & the electrical company to come out & raise the lines. Not sure it is worth the trouble.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

It is not an easy decision to make, especially when we actually started draining the very hard-earned savings. But we decided that we are this for the long-haul, and our hope is that we will get decades of value out of it and someday some sale appraisal value when it's time for the nurse(s).
Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

Looks good. Will make parking a lot easier
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #7

Thank you! Yes, it will. I had it about 2-3' more narrow, but the contractor and his helper convinced me to cut into the slope a bit more and make it easy on myself. Our road is super busy, and people fly down it. Getting the TT in and off the road has always been very stressful and sometimes undoable. A few times we just had to pull straight in on the grass and spend a half an hour maneuvering it to get it up on the side yard. We are so happy with this design, and we are excited to give it a try!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #8

Very nice indeed and it looks like you have a lot less grass to mow, not to mention that you could put a very large 5th wheel or something else there as well. I wish we had the room to do something like that. Looks awesome.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #9

Looks good. You can never have to much concrete.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Very nice indeed and it looks like you have a lot less grass to mow, not to mention that you could put a very large 5th wheel or something else there as well. I wish we had the room to do something like that. Looks awesome.
Thank you very much, TC! You never know what the future holds, maybe a bigger unit for retirement. Or, when the day comes to sell our home, it is a value added investment. Someone else may like it for parking the cars of guests. We will use for storing the TT, parking the TV, and as a place to perform our maintenance on both of them. I am very happy about the ability to wash and service our vehicles on the pad. Our garage is pretty cramped.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

Looks great, I'm very jealous.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Looks good. You can never have to much concrete.
Thank you! I agree. When we started the design process, I thought an 18' x 25' was the right size. Then it grew to 22' x 30'. By the time I interviewed my second contractor, I had the 25+' x 34' dialed in.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
it looks like you have a lot less grass to mow
The mowing was definitely a growing concern for us. Without kids, it takes all that we have to keep up with the place. When we first bought the home, it took us 3.5 hours to mow, edge, and clean up the property (front and back). The ditches and slopes were a nightmare; up until two years ago, the ditches were not filled. It was an ordeal to keep them mowed. We actually sprained ankles, and I broke an ankle mowing them. We endangered our lives in them with cars flying by dangerously fast and close. This gives us some buffer from the road!

Over the years, we planted numerous garden rooms out back that cut down on the mowing but added weeding and pruning. We gradually got the mowing, edging, and clean up down to 45 minutes. All of the plants we plant now our native and/or very low maintenance selections. There will be a lawn in the center of the front. I will submit pics when we finish the landscaping.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Looks great, I'm very jealous.
Thank you, GrumpyDad! I have been covetous of many an RV port myself. I am very grateful that we could do this and do it now while we are still working and with years to enjoy it (Lord willing).
Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Really nice project. Congratulations
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Really nice project. Congratulations
Thank you so much! We are very pleased and anxious to get the TT out of storage and bring her home. We are going to wait at least four weeks. I know it's a bit excessive of a wait period, but we are in no hurry, and we want to give the cure process a good head start, especially since I read that concrete can take 100 years to "fully cure." I don't know if that is true, but I have read and heard that it is good to be patient before putting too much load on it. We have amazing, kind neighbors who have been sharing their driveway with us. They and others are a significant part of our decision to stay in our home and invest in it this way. it is very hard to find good ol' folks like we enjoy in our neighborhood.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Thank you so much! We are very pleased and anxious to get the TT out of storage and bring her home. We are going to wait at least four weeks. I know it's a bit excessive of a wait period, but we are in no hurry, and we want to give the cure process a good head start, especially since I read that concrete can take 100 years to "fully cure." I don't know if that is true, but I have read and heard that it is good to be patient before putting too much load on it. We have amazing, kind neighbors who have been sharing their driveway with us. They and others are a significant part of our decision to stay in our home and invest in it this way. it is very hard to find good ol' folks like we enjoy in our neighborhood.
Your neighbors really make the difference and I'm sure that they in turn appreciate the hard work that you are putting in to your property. It really looks great.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #18

Looks great! I'm sure you'll be very happy with the new space

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #19

Thank You

Thank you for your service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Nice. We have the space but not the clearance - the trailer is required to be behind the rear corner of the house We would need permission from the state to enlarge the drive & the electrical company to come out & raise the lines. Not sure it is worth the trouble.
248RBSW-SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #20

Well, Code Enforcement in our area was after all of the RV owners in our subdivision to put the RV's behind the front line of the house. We REMOVED the garage, and laid down a 14 ft wide driveway all the way back to the back fence and built an 18 ft tall carport with an attached 1.5 wide garage. Now our baby is under cover and we are very happy we did it, $30,000 later. Gotta do what ya gotta do to save the investment.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote