Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

RV Quality Issues

On almost every forum, for every make of RV I follow, there is the disturbing trend of an increasing number of complaints about quality control and the difficulty of getting warranty service in a reasonable time frame. There is an interesting editorial by Chuck Woodbury in the August issue of his RV Travel Newsletter that may explain at least some of the problems.

RV Travel Newsletter, Aug. 27-Sept. 2 – RV Travel
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Team

The fact that they are nearly all being built in the same state and locality presents labor pool problems.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

OK here's the skinny... They are mast produced. The employees @ Jayco only get paid per unit built. There not hr employees.. Just a little insight.. And now Thor has acquired Jayco.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas77 View Post
OK here's the skinny... They are mast produced. The employees @ Jayco only get paid per unit built. There not hr employees.. Just a little insight.. And now Thor has acquired Jayco.

I agree but the three Jaycos I have owned, latest one built late 2012, a 2013 model year were almost problem free from delivery. If I remember correctly, each of my last two only had one warranty trip for fairly minor stuff each.

There is definitely a trend toward sloppy work based on what I'm reading.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #5

Maybe........ but my 2016 White Hawk was picked up on August 3, and I haven't found a problem big enough to notice, yet... As I've said elsewhere... Maybe it was built on Wednesday...
Old 08-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #6

I picked mine up April 6, 2015. Spent over 200 nights in it, never had it back for warranty work. Few minor things I did myself, minor problem with cushions and Jayco replaced them all. And mine WAS built on a Friday. The RV industry is no better or worse than any other industry.. Perhaps Thor will be able to automate the industry as the auto industry has been. Over all, Jayco builds a good product at a reasonable price.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:47 AM   #7

Well most problems are found @ the dealership when we get them in. We try to go threw them with a fine toothpick before customers get them. Even tho I'm a Jayco tech. We live in my 16' 38BHDS since Feb and had never found one problem.. Between the kids and the wife and I we really put this trailer threw the ringer... My ONLY problem with Jayco from a customer stance point is there love for only 1 air conditioning unit in a 38 ft unit.. We died during the summer until I added a second a/c in the bedroom. Thank God it was prepared for one.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Jayco Quality Control

I understand many have had quality control problems that have not been taken care of appropriately, but I have to share our story of outstanding Jayco service following a quality control issue that they were not obligated to take care of. Several years ago we bought a year-old, new to us, 23RB Jay Flight TT from an individual. We immediately set out on an extended vacation to Canada and after driving in the rain and on wet roads for several days we arrived at friends' home NE of Toronto. By the time we got there the rain had stopped but we noticed water dripping from the front passenger side underbelly. We did everything we could to try to figure out where the water was coming from--to no avail. We thought we had bought a real problem. Since our nearest Jayco dealer is about 80 miles from us, we decided to call the Jayco manufacturing center in Middlebury, IN and made arrangements to take our trailer to their repair center on our way home to Missouri.

They immediately got to work on our unit, telling us they would call us when they got it fixed. About noon that day they called, to tell us that they would need to keep the unit overnight and had a motel reserved for us in Elkhart, that would accept our dog, along with us. We stopped by the repair center to pick up a change of clothes and our prescriptions, where we found our trailer up on a rack with all of the underbelly dropped down and the entire front peeled away. They assured us they would have it all back together, good as new, the next day, and we headed off to Elkhart terribly concerned about what all of this was going to cost us. After all, we were the second owner, and the warranty didn't extend to us.

At noon the next day they called to tell us they had us ready to go. When we went to the front desk to settle our bill we were told all of their work was complimentary--as they had discovered a small hole in the bottom of the front storage compartment which had allowed lots and lots of water from the roadway to be sprayed into the underbelly and soak all of the insulation in the front of the unit. Everything had been replaced and was now totally sealed. They explained that the unit should never have left the factory this way--and that even though we were the 2nd owners they were standing behind their product.

Needless to say this experience with Jayco made us extremely loyal to Jayco. When we purchased a new Jayco TT this spring--we never even looked at anything other than a Jayco. They have us as solid customers and I thought I should speak up on their behalf when I read so many disgruntled reports. Perhaps it pays to go direct to the company and bypass dealers who don't want to take care of their customers.

Nomads at Heart!
MoBird is offline   Reply With Quote