Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: RV security and theft poll, check all that apply
My RV has been broken into. 6 2.61%
I have had items stolen from my RV 9 3.91%
I have had something stolen from outside my RV 16 6.96%
I have had something stolen from my vehicle (tow, toad, etc) 8 3.48%
My RV was broken into and it had only factory locks 6 2.61%
I use a trailer coupler lock when disconnected 55 23.91%
I use a king pin lock for my 5er when disconnected 25 10.87%
I have had an RV stolen 3 1.30%
I have added other aftermarket security items to my unit 27 11.74%
I have never had anything stolen from my RV, campsite, or vehicle 190 82.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #41

Never had an issue. I have even left cases of beer stacked up in the shade next to the trailer with no problems.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #42

I'm insured well. My stuff is not worth taking a life over. High speed internet is only for protecting myself and wife.
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #43

Most times I leave with what I started with. When something comes up missing, it’s generally something I’ve left behind or found a new place to store.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #44

I’ve only been out with a TT for about two years, mostly boondocking, maybe a dozen visits to RV parks with hookups. So far nothing stolen. Typically leave out the solar panels, table, chairs, carpet, cooler and extra 5 gal jug when gone for several hours. I’ve been car camping and backpacking for 40 years without anything taken.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #45

My buddy just had his trailer gone through while he was out bird hunting. Stole his wallet and heater. Maybe some other things...

He was actually glad he left his trailer unlocked because the mobile home twenty feet away had its window busted out to break in.

So he kinda figured in this case, locking his trailer woulda cost him more if they busted in.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
My buddy just had his trailer gone through while he was out bird hunting. Stole his wallet and heater. Maybe some other things...

He was actually glad he left his trailer unlocked because the mobile home twenty feet away had its window busted out to break in.

So he kinda figured in this case, locking his trailer woulda cost him more if they busted in.
So @Trippy1313, do you know if this happened while boondocking?
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #47

The only thing we've had stolen were a couple of lawn chairs at the North Wilkesboro Speedway about 30 years ago.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #48

We've only had our 5th wheel a couple years now and had some good success so far. I suspect that while you're out camping somewhere, there's less chance something is going to walk off if you're smart about it. If you're active, in and out, cooking outside, etc. people will see activity. Most campsites have some kind of lighting. Some people bring dogs (like us). Just don't leave the new portable grill outside overnight and you should be OK.

I consider theft more of a problem when your camper is left parked in some lot unattended for days or longer and nobody around to see anything. For thieves, it's about opportunity and time. You can lock up the camper, put chains and chocks on the tires, etc. but given enough time and energy those can be defeated too.

At the end of the day it's more about common sense and insurance coverage.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #49

I was camping at ELKMONT in SMoky Mtn Natl park one time in one of the cross rolls was the only one there... Elkmont has no electric hookups... Later on that morning another camper came in and set across the road from me... He hooked up a 3KW yellow generator and had it chained to a small tree maybe 10-inch diameter all out in the open... He was showing me what all he could run in his trailer using the generator haha... Later on that afternoon I left my site to go to Townson to get some supplies and came back a couple of hours later and could not go down my road for a tree being downed... I just droved around to the other side and came to my site going the wrong way on one way road... Sure enough someone cut down the tree and apparently stole this guys big yellow generator by cutting the tree down... We were the only two campers in this roll haha... In just little bit the camper came back. I guess he went to town too to get some supplies... There we both stood looking at the cut down tree and no more generator... He didn't even get to use it one night haha... What can one do... I charged his batteries a couple of times the next two days using my 2KW Honda that is secured and covered in the back of my truck bed... geesch…

The police came out and wrote up a report on it...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #50
Site Team

^^^Roy, that thief was determined to get a generator.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #51

I had a small cooler of beer taken many years ago when camping in Myrtle Beach. They caught the guy next morning swimming in one of the campground’s lakes. I got my cooler back with the wife’s wine coolers but all my beer was gone! I always do “the walk” when traveling after every stop to pull on every door and to check all the connections before pulling back on the road. A good heavy chain locks up the generator at NASCAR races.

As I tell my kids, have fun but be aware of your surroundings.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote