Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

RV Techs Hate Warranty Work?

Any one know why RV mechanics/ techs seem to dislike warranty work.Took are Eagle fiver in to have couch replaced.Set around for two hours only to find out they ordered wrong couch.Month number 25 still trying to get warranty completed! Little Dealer Little Prices Phoenix, Arizona.
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Maybe they like relaxing on your couch.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Contact Jayco and request a mobile RV tech and dump the dealer
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Warranty work has no profit involved and requires a lot of work to file. It's also a very long process - waiting for parts and what not.
Warranty is not even a break-even for dealerships
BoostDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

My dealer will order the parts right away and call me when they are in. If I don't make an appointment right away he will actually call me and ask when I can bring it in.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostDeuce View Post
Warranty work has no profit involved and requires a lot of work to file. It's also a very long process - waiting for parts and what not.
Warranty is not even a break-even for dealerships
If this were true no dealer would cover warranty work. Non-warranty work is outrageously more expensive and nets them more gains than non-warranty work and this is why they put it as a lower priority. If a dealer isn't making money doing warranty and non-warranty work then they are doing something wrong - service is where they make most of their money. Don't feel sorry for dealers that cry about warranty work. You paid for that warranty when you bought the vehicle. Let them cry to the manufacture or not sell/cover warranty work.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

I doubt it is the service techs that do't like warranty work. The shop owner on the other hand may not if the profit margin is not as great.

What I have heard and experienced, some dealerships are awesome to work with, and others don't give a rats behind.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Any one know why RV mechanics/ techs seem to dislike warranty work.Took are Eagle fiver in to have couch replaced.Set around for two hours only to find out they ordered wrong couch.Month number 25 still trying to get warranty completed! Little Dealer Little Prices Phoenix, Arizona.
We did not purchase our Jayco from Little Dealer Little Prices. But when we had an issue with our couch, we spoke with Jayco and than Little dealer. We sent them pictures, which they forwared to Jayco.. Jayco approved a replacement which Little dealer ordered. The day it came in we received a call. Because removing and installing a couch is a 15 minute job I choose to pick up the new couch (they didn't ask for old one back) and Installed it myself. Zero hassels. Whole process took maybe 3 -4 weeks, most waiting on shipping new couch from the supplier.

It is more hassel for me to hook up the RV, pull it to Little Dealer, leave it and come back another day to haul it back to storage.

May want to offer to do the install yourself, let the dealer keep the, I think, 1/2 hour Jayco is paying them to install it.. and avoide having to tow and leave your RV, wait for them to get to it and than towing it back home again.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Any one know why RV mechanics/ techs seem to dislike warranty work.
My dealer, who has been great, has told me that the warranty job pays them a set rate based on the time it "should" take. They said it is hardly ever the true amount needed, so they lose time, which is money.
You can imagine how it would be once you've hit that time restriction and still have hours left to get it done.
I think that the better shops deal with this better, maybe by planning the job and parts better, or my giving the tech some help to get it done faster (grabbing tools, extra hand, etc.)

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #10

Vehicle warranty is a fixed allotment of time that an experienced tech with no hiccups in the middle might be able to come close to that time. If a dealer can't price their out of warranty labor rate high enough to cover the tech's presumed appeal to the service manager for more time from the warranty repair, well that's a formula for disaster.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #11

Warranty work does pay for what it takes to do the work. The time allowed assumes the tech knows what needs to be done and can follow directions if he isn't familiar with the job. If the tech is anything less than excellent, then yes, it may take him 2 hours to do something Jayco says should take 1 hour, don't blame Jayco for a tech that may be a bit below "excellent".
It seems a lot of issues on these boards here are due to buying from dealer "A" but going to dealer"B" for the warranty work. Other issues could simply be a poor dealer.
Either way, I assume its got to be very frustrating.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #12

Fixed time is correct. If they say it should take 2 hours to do the repair/replacement Jayco will pay them for 2 hours. No matter if it takes three hours or one hour they still get the $$ for two.
When they're doing out of warranty work they say it takes 5 it may take 3 and they will never tell you any different.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Fixed time is correct. If they say it should take 2 hours to do the repair/replacement Jayco will pay them for 2 hours. No matter if it takes three hours or one hour they still get the $$ for two.

This is true, and why warranty work essentially loses money
The technician will get a big list from a customer to diagnose. The manufacturer is paying little, if any to diagnose, thus possibly losing money to the dealership right up front.
The manufacturer then requires the technician to go through hoops, taking pictures, uploading, looking up the hours needed to do the repairs, etc. It takes time, and the Service department will bill the dealership at their normal rate. The RV Manufacturer doesn't pay for all that legwork.

That's how it loses money. You have to look at all the work required to do warranty and realize the manufacturer is going to require the dealer to do so much so the manufacturer has to do so little and end up paying very little.
BoostDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #14

I have heard a lot of bad reviews about Little Dealer Little Prices Phoenix, Arizona.
2012 Nissan Titan
Pee Wee, Razzie and Jack
Azbirddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #15

My tech's love warranty work. It's a no brainer, just need prior approval. They get paid regardless if it's cash or warranty. Yes, they make more on cash repair orders but warranty is more plentiful. When I sell warranty parts on an RO, we make list on it. No bickering. No selling to the customer. They approve it and we repair it. In my opinion, if the tech doesn't like warranty work...you need a new tech.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote