Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2023, 07:57 AM   #1

RV Treatment Happy Camper still the same???

I have been using Happy Camper Tank Treatment for 2 1/2 years with no issues - worked great. This last package seems to be different...anyone else seeing the same thing?

The new stuff seems to be less "cakey" it does not lump together when wet. The older stuff has always left little "rocks" after I mixed it up before pouring down the toilet. AND I never had an issue with odor...the new stuff does not work longer than 4 days now...I think they changed the formula and it is not as good.

I realize that the supply chain issues over the last couple years has forced many companies to reformulate their products when they could not get an ingredient they used to use but I wish they would tell folks.

Just curious in Mississippi...
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #2

Is there a manufacturer date on the container? It's my go to brand and the container I bought at the start of the winter was fine.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #3

I think I read somewhere last year that there was some sort of industry wide reformulation of black tank products......I did a quick google....here's an article that may answer your question:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tech/com...-new-formulas/

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I think I read somewhere last year that there was some sort of industry wide reformulation of black tank products......I did a quick google....here's an article that may answer your question:

This should not have affected Happy Camper. It's always claimed to been free of those components.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Is there a manufacturer date on the container? It's my go to brand and the container I bought at the start of the winter was fine.
No manufacture date...just says made in canada on bottom. Nothing on label but what I remember other packages saying.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post

Very interesting read thanks. Buy like TaftCoach stated it was already formalgahide free.

It is just different now in my opinion. Seems more like a detergent (like sugar) vs the old stuff used to be like flour...more "powdery". And it does not fight the odor as long.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:03 PM   #7

That would be obvious then. That powdery feel was distinct. I'm about to place a new order so I will compare what I receive. I usually order from Amazon so you never know how old the product is.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppbigdog View Post
No manufacture date...just says made in canada on bottom. Nothing on label but what I remember other packages saying.
I am not sure, but I don't believe that it is made in Canada. I would reach out to the manufacturer.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
I am not sure, but I don't believe that it is made in Canada. I would reach out to the manufacturer.
May be that the pail was made in Canada..
Old 03-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #10

Most of the new blank tank treatments are now "California Compliant", meaning formulations containing formaldehyde and bronopol are now illegal in California.

Thetford's old black tank treatment Aqua-Kem worked fantastic. Their new product Aqua-Max does not work nearly as good. In fact, I have had very poor results with their new formulation.

The article that TaftCoach posted is excellent at explaining this.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
You would be right, Happy Campers is based out of Medford, Oregon. Perhaps the container was made in Canada?
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
You would be right, Happy Campers is based out of Medford, Oregon. Perhaps the container was made in Canada?
Potentially, but every container of Happy Campers I have seen has an American Flag on the front of it.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 03-14-2023, 03:02 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

If you are experiencing issues with the new formula of the product, it may be worth reaching out to the manufacturer to provide feedback and inquire about any changes made to the formula. They may also be able to provide assistance in resolving any issues or recommend alternative products that may work better for your needs. Additionally, you may want to consider checking online customer reviews or forums to see if others have had similar experiences with the product.
11111energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:51 PM   #14

If it doesn't work for you, try what I've been using for many years. It's a mix of three ingredients, Borax, Calgon and Blue Dawn detergent. I use equal parts of each using the cap from the Calgon. We live in ours and I flush the tank once a week in South Texas sun and we have no odors. Depending on the size of your tank you may need to adjust the quantity slightly.

Just dump them in the toilet bowl almost full of water and use it to clean the bowl then flush.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:30 PM   #15

Can't get Happy Camper in California anymore. I got a large tub a year or so ago and still have some left. When I use it up, I plan on switching to Unique. Unless we've completed our move to South Dakota by then.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11111energy View Post
If you are experiencing issues with the new formula of the product, it may be worth reaching out to the manufacturer to provide feedback and inquire about any changes made to the formula. They may also be able to provide assistance in resolving any issues or recommend alternative products that may work better for your needs. Additionally, you may want to consider checking online customer reviews or forums to see if others have had similar experiences with the product.
So I reached out. They said that if I bought off Amazon Canada it may be counterfiet. I think it was Amazon USA. Anyway they ask me to do a water and HC in my hand to see if it heats up. I am out of town but will be doing the test when i get back.

Great response. I hope I am just dreaming that something is different.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
If it doesn't work for you, try what I've been using for many years. It's a mix of three ingredients, Borax, Calgon and Blue Dawn detergent. I use equal parts of each using the cap from the Calgon. We live in ours and I flush the tank once a week in South Texas sun and we have no odors. Depending on the size of your tank you may need to adjust the quantity slightly.

Just dump them in the toilet bowl almost full of water and use it to clean the bowl then flush.
May have to try this thanks for sharing
Old 03-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #18

Smile

Update...did the water test as suggested by the HC guys. Small amount of powder and a drop of water and it started heating up in the palm of my hand so it is the real stuff.

The Happy Camper team said they would send me an extreme tank cleaner that they also sale and let me try it...now that is great customer service. These folks have been very responsive to my Facebook messages and I look forward to continuing to use the product...maybe my tanks just need a good cleaning. They even said they would refund my money if the tank cleaner does not work.

Man if more companies operated like this.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppbigdog View Post
Update...did the water test as suggested by the HC guys. Small amount of powder and a drop of water and it started heating up in the palm of my hand so it is the real stuff.

The Happy Camper team said they would send me an extreme tank cleaner that they also sale and let me try it...now that is great customer service. These folks have been very responsive to my Facebook messages and I look forward to continuing to use the product...maybe my tanks just need a good cleaning. They even said they would refund my money if the tank cleaner does not work.

Man if more companies operated like this.
That's great news. Hope it all works out in the wash

Oh, and did they explain the Canada wording on the bucket?

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 03-20-2023, 07:50 AM   #20

Quote:
That's great news. Hope it all works out in the wash

Oh, and did they explain the Canada wording on the bucket?
I did not ask about that...Since they are in Oregon I assume they just buy their pails from Canada.