Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

RVDirect...What's up with these folks

I have been searching internet pricing for a new Jayco Greyhawk and I come across RVDirect. I send them a price quote request, after filling out the usual contact information, and they send a price back in a couple of minutes that is many thousands less than my local dealer. So, I send an email to Jayco asking about RVDirect, and after several days I still do not have a response.

I am wondering if RVDirect is real, what are the ramifications of buying from these folks, who does warranty work after the sale, or is this the catch. Is Jayco like the other manufacturers, in that dealers are not obligated to work on any coach they did not sell.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #2

I had a similar question last fall about rv direct. thread was titled: rvdirect anybody use them? I had a huge response and most all were favorable. I would have went that route except my dealer finally dropped his price to what we wanted and we wound up purchasing from our local dealer.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #3

RV Direct isn't a Jayco sales place, it's a dealer who happens to sell Jayco and others. Most of the responses on here about RV Direct have been pretty positive.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

We used RV Direct's quote as a negotiating tool with the dealer. We were able to get within a few hundred. We felt that was fair. It was a very good price compared to the MSRP. I know some dealers will not work on units that aren't purchased from them. It is not a manufacturer's decision but a dealer decision.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Team

This thread may answer your questions about RVdirect:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...light=rvdirect
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

This is the response I got from Jayco's regional sales representative:

Hello John,

This is a pretty common question regarding RV Direct. They are a legit company but they do have quite a process for attracting sales on the other side of the country. They have realized that they can dangle this “cheap price deal” knowing how it looks to the potential buyer to lure them away from the local dealers. However, there’s a price to be paid along with that “cheap price deal” that’s not realized until they have your attention and belief that you’re getting a steal of a deal that no one will match.

A couple of things to think about.

· What’s the cost of getting there and getting back with your new MH?

· How are you going to get the service needed when it’s needed? Your local dealer will service you, however, they will service their customers first which could become very inconvenient for YOU. The dealer in question realizes they will never see you again and never have to service you. There is a dollar value to that, great service can be priceless.

· If it seems too good to be true….well?? It may not seem so now… eventually it will.

· There’s always fine print

· I find that local dealers are obviously willing to work with you to get to a price closer to the price being dangled, however in most cases they won’t get to the price being dangled, nor should they, they are in business to stay in business.

· I think you’ll find that if you lived near RV Directs dealerships you will pay the price much the same that your local dealer is asking for theirs.

John, there are other variable’s to look at, but, for what it’s worth I would stay local if at all possible.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ray
Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

We used RVDirect. The buying process could not have been easier. Both the salesperson and the finance manager were terrific. That's where it ended. The PDI was abysmal. I know that is not uncommon, but this was really bad. They really didn't know anything about the unit and most questions were answered with "just read the owners manual". On top of that, it took a half-hour to convince them that we purchased a Greyhawk and not a Whitehawk.

Attempts to contact the office post-sale, have been unsuccessful as well. They simply won't respond to an email or voicemail any longer. Great savings though. My local dealers couldn't get within $8k of the RVDirect deal and I would have had to compromise on the options that I wanted. For me, the savings was worth the other stuff, and I would do it again.

As far as servicing is concerned, we have a service-only center locally. They are a Jayco authorized center and are not biased about where you purchased your coach. Yes we had to drive it from Des Moines to Southern California. About an $800 trip with airfair and gas for my wife and I, but that was part of the fun. I guess it depends on your individual situation.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

I too used the RV Direct quote to get a better deal. They came within $1,000, and that was good enough for me.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #9

We recently purchased our new Eagle HT from RV Direct and I found the whole process pretty easy and straighforward. We picked the unit up in Des Moines, IA which is about 1,000 miles from where we live. Personally, I found the PDI very, very good. The guy who did the walk-through was very efficient and he pointed out everything and answered all my questions to my satisfaction and I asked him a lot of questions. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Sale process was top notch and price several thousand then anyone around my zip code. Sales team was a class act but their warranty support staff are non-existent, won't return calls, and to be quite frank aren't entirely honest. If you have a good independent RV repair service and you don't mind fixing small items yourself that may not even be a consideration.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

We used their pricing to find a good deal around here, about 1,000 miles away from RV Direct. Our closest dealer got within $2,000, which made up for having to drive there and back, plus hotels and food on the way there and food on the way back, plus all that diesel we would use. Their pricing was about $12,000 less than "MSRP" but only, eventually, $2,000 less than the "local" dealer. I would do it again, in fact just sent a note to RV Wholesalers about a Rockwood I saw in a town 25 miles away and got a call from them today. Those folks are pretty aggressive.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #12

We bought out HT from RV Direct last year. We looked at one at a nearby dealer that had been on the lot for almost a year and didn't have some of the options we wanted like a Mor-ryde hitch and electric stabilizer jacks. They wanted over three times as much to install them at their dealership than RV Direct priced the options at. The dealership was not interested in ordering a new one for me as they had one on their lot already. I was not interested in paying new price for a rig that has been sitting outside for a year though. Ordered through RV Direct in February and it was completed and sent to Des Moines in late April. We had to wait until the 2nd week of May to pick it up due to all the rigs they had in their lot and we just had to wait our turn. That was worst part of the transaction but was well worth the $5000+ that we saved. I would recommend them to anyone and will buy from them again.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

I've ordered 2 new units in 2 years from RVDirect and would of probably ordered our 2014 375BHFS from them had they offered us a better trade on our 2012 365BHS, which, by the way was bought from them a year ago. I found it strange, but their competition, RV Connection offered us more money on our trade in, and was slightly cheaper on our new unit so they earned our business.
We checked with every dealer in the state and couldn't get even close to the money we saved with buying online.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Mike View Post

Hello John,

This is a pretty common question regarding RV Direct. They are a legit company but they do have quite a process for attracting sales on the other side of the country. They have realized that they can dangle this “cheap price deal” knowing how it looks to the potential buyer to lure them away from the local dealers. However, there’s a price to be paid along with that “cheap price deal” that’s not realized until they have your attention and belief that you’re getting a steal of a deal that no one will match.

· What’s the cost of getting there and getting back with your new MH?

· How are you going to get the service needed when it’s needed? Your local dealer will service you, however, they will service their customers first which could become very inconvenient for YOU. The dealer in question realizes they will never see you again and never have to service you. There is a dollar value to that, great service can be priceless.

· If it seems too good to be true….well?? It may not seem so now… eventually it will.

· There’s always fine print

· I find that local dealers are obviously willing to work with you to get to a price closer to the price being dangled, however in most cases they won’t get to the price being dangled, nor should they, they are in business to stay in business.

· I think you’ll find that if you lived near RV Directs dealerships you will pay the price much the same that your local dealer is asking for theirs.

John, there are other variable’s to look at, but, for what it’s worth I would stay local if at all possible.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ray
That's almost the exact talk I received from one dealer, when I mentioned i was looking at buying in the States and not in Canada. I still purchased in the States and saved thousands. Plus the dealer that told me not to do it, still took my money and my trailer when I brought it to them for an inspection. I looked at RV Direct as well as a couple of used trailers that were originally purchased through them, including one here in Canada with Canadian standards. The owners told me they had great experience and even with shipping the trailer across the country they still saved money.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #15

My local Jayco dealer called yesterday and we discussed the quotes that I have received from RVDirect, needless to say she wasn't thrilled and she went on to give me the same warranty/service talk that I got from the Jayco Representative. My local dealer is of course low-balling my trade-in, and is over-pricing his Jayco.

I have my Fleetwood Bounder 33U up for sale in RV Trader, I'm hopeful for a quick sale after I reduce my price to wholesale today.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #16

That's an interesting response from Jayco. The way I read it, they would prefer you to buy from a local dealer than RVD. I bought from them a couple of years ago and the process was smooth, the dealer (Florida) was very accommodating and the bride and I turned the trip into a mini-vacation. I talked to my local dealer and never asked for a price because I just didn't get the "warm fuzzy" feeling from them. To this point I haven't needed any service and the only warranty work was done directly with Jayco (Jensen replacement). We're planning to upgrade next year to a 5th and since it's a more complicated TT I'm up in the air over whether to buy locally or go the RVD route again. There's a dealer in the Austin area that I will visit and will probably give my local dealer (Houston) a shot. The local dealer seems to carry a very small inventory of Jaycos so I'm not really thinking they will get my business.
edit:
I just re-read the Jayco response and note that it was from a "regional" rep. He's probably doing what he can to protect the dealers in his region without taking too big a "dump" on RVD and i'm guessing he won't have any of the RVD dealers in his region.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
edit: I just re-read the Jayco response and note that it was from a "regional" rep. He's probably doing what he can to protect the dealers in his region without taking too big a "dump" on RVD and i'm guessing he won't have any of the RVD dealers in his region.
I believe you are spot on in your analysis.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #18

No real mystery about RVD. It's just a family owned, multi-brand RV dealer with brick n' mortar stores in Iowa, Florida, & New York state, and also an online sales operation. Don't know how they can price as they do (volume maybe), but glad they do. When we bought our new WhiteHawk at the Daytona GS Rally last November, we met Mark Strollo (one of the 3 brothers that owns the company). Mark manages the Winter Park, Fl. store (Orlando RV). From Mark, our salesperson, to the F&I guy, and Service Dept. personnel we came in contact with, all were great to deal with. We financed through them; they were actually able to offer a lower interest rate on the loan than our local credit union. The service dept. handled all our "aftermarket" purchase requests and installations flawlessly, and our PDI could not have been more thorough. The tech went over EVERYTHING with us, even though we previously owned a fifth wheel (that we traded for the WhiteHawk).

Don't know if all who purchase from them have the same experience, but I would have no problem at all buying from them again.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Mike View Post

Hello John,

Thanks,

Ray
I don't understand his logic. RV Direct loses potential future "service work" and thereby sells for less??

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I don't understand his logic. RV Direct loses potential future "service work" and thereby sells for less??
It's not "service work" per-se but rather warranty work. RV Dealerships make little to no profit on warranty work. My purchasing dealership was very clear and consistent, in most circumstances will not provided warranty work for units they didn't sell...they will work on the unit, on a first come first serve basis, at the shops' time and material rates and then you seek reimbursement from the MFG. I was told that depending on the job they are lucky to get 25% of the labor rate they would charge, and no margin on parts. That 25% may cover actual burden labor costs, sometimes it doesn't, but the shop would much rather have their techs working on paying jobs where they actually turn a profit.

This is what the Jayco contact is referring too.

I don't blame the local dealers one bit, I wish the RV warranty worked like cars but it doesn't.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote