Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

RVing in/around Yellowstone

Hi all,
We're looking to meet up with some friends at Yellowstone this summer. They'll be coming from Spokane, and us from Denver. We are looking for recommendations on where to camp together with full hookups (not my requirement, but a requirement nonetheless). The issue we are running into for camping IN Yellowstone is that the Fishing Bridge RV Park is the only campground that has full hookups, but only allows hardsided campers and I have a hybrid (16XRB). So that ideal location (almost exactly in between us) is apparently out. We are willing to travel further and meet up in West Yellowstone, but we're open to suggestions for camping near other entrance locations. We're considering the Yellowstone Holiday RV Campground.
Other information that would be helpful: What are your favorite places to experience in the Park? What should we not miss?

Thanks!
scarr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

Both Grizzly and West Yellowstone KOA are excellent places to stay.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #3

There's also Yellowstone RV Park in Gardiner, MT, by the North entrance to Yellowstone.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

I'll second Grizzly. We stayed there twice and it was excellent. It has the advantage of everything in town being within walking distance. Quite a few decent restaurants there.

Do you hike? While there is great stuff to see right off the road, most of the best of Yellowstone is on back country trails accessible by day hikes.

Don't miss the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone or Mammoth Hot Springs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr44 View Post
Hi all,
We're looking to meet up with some friends at Yellowstone this summer. They'll be coming from Spokane, and us from Denver. We are looking for recommendations on where to camp together with full hookups (not my requirement, but a requirement nonetheless). The issue we are running into for camping IN Yellowstone is that the Fishing Bridge RV Park is the only campground that has full hookups, but only allows hardsided campers and I have a hybrid (16XRB). So that ideal location (almost exactly in between us) is apparently out. We are willing to travel further and meet up in West Yellowstone, but we're open to suggestions for camping near other entrance locations. We're considering the Yellowstone Holiday RV Campground.
Other information that would be helpful: What are your favorite places to experience in the Park? What should we not miss?

Thanks!

We have stayed in Yellowstone several times in our Class C. Stayed at Grant Village, Madison and Fishing Bridge. Fishing Bridge was our least favorite and Grant Village our favorite. However Grant and Madison are dry camping. So it depends on how important your luxuries are. We ran our generator while we made breakfast and dinner and that was plenty to keep our battery charged. Solar panels work but most of the campsites are shaded....
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Great info everyone. Thanks! We did end up booking our trip to stay at the Yellowstone Holiday RV park. I'm still interested in the collective knowledge of what I need to see in Yellowstone. That info is much appreciated and I hope more people chime in. Cheers!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

We stayed at the Rustic Wagon in West Yellowstone. It's on the west edge of town yet only five minutes to the west entrance to the park. It's not the fanciest, but the proprietors are friendly -- John told me which restaurants to go to and which to avoid when checking in. The park is small but well kept and you could eat off the floor in the bath houses.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #8

We spent a week at Headwaters at Flagg Ranch this past September and found it very nice. Tho it’s not in the park the South entrance is pretty convenient.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Is the West Gate where you mention the KOA?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm still interested in the collective knowledge of what I need to see in Yellowstone.
If you want to see wild life get out on the roads early and keep your eyes open. If you see a parked car(s) there is probably an animal that is visible. Respect the wild life by getting a camera with a telephoto lens. We saw lots of folks trying to get close ups with their phones, tablets, etc. We saw people within 10 feet of bull elk. Bison in particular don't like people getting too close and they can easily out run any human. We even got stuck for 20 minutes in a bison jam with dozens of bison close enough to our vehicle that we could have touched them.

On our trip we saw numerous bears (grizzlies and black), bison, elk, antelope, mule deer and eagles. We also saw a few wolves and coyotes and one badger.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Great info everyone. Thanks! We did end up booking our trip to stay at the Yellowstone Holiday RV park. I'm still interested in the collective knowledge of what I need to see in Yellowstone. That info is much appreciated and I hope more people chime in. Cheers!

There are two loops. The lower loop is more popular and the road has less construction but more frequent animal delays. Without knowing your activity level my favorites may not be yours.

On the way in, about 1 mile from Madison Junction this is a frequent spot for animal sightings.

Gyser Basin. Plan on spending time at the various places. September cold mornings were magical.

Old Faithful. Take the time to walk the trails. Personally we like viewing Old Faithful from the back view.

Grant Village. Evening walks by the water by the camoground have frequent Elk sightings.

Also a company in Jackson does daily kayak tours from Grant Village to West Thumb gysers. Really cool but reservations needed.

Upper and lower Yosemite Falls.

Lots more. Personally we like staying at Grand Teton and making visits to Yellowstone now...
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:37 AM   #12

My first visit to Yellowstone was when I was 14, our scouts raised money and rented snowmobiles. It was one of the my most memorable scout trips.
I didn’t make it back until about 10 years ago, it has rapidly become one of my favorite destinations.
Two years ago I moved to Montana and now I can go there several times a year.
Old Faithful is still a must see, it’s crowded but it accommodates large crowds with ease. The Old Faithful Inn is spectacular, with a grandeur stone fireplace, do not miss visiting the inn.
My latest favorite has become the upper and lower Yellowstone falls, there are several viewpoints with short walks or long and challenging trails, all are worth the walk/hike.
Every entrance to the park is spectacular, I think the North East entrance through Cook City is the highest elevation, beautiful mountains and a high, hairpin curve steep grade, I’ve seen travel trailers but would not recommend it.
The east entrance to Cody is also one of my favorites, a lot of scenery and wildlife to be seen.
Honestly, there is so much to see, from Mammoth Springs to the North, Firehole Canyon, Norris Geyser basin, and Lewis Lake and Lewis Falls to the south.
Just take a map of Yellowstone, put it on a wall, throw a half dozen darts, and every where one lands would be well worth visiting.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If you want to see wild life get out on the roads early and keep your eyes open. If you see a parked car(s) there is probably an animal that is visible. Respect the wild life by getting a camera with a telephoto lens. We saw lots of folks trying to get close ups with their phones, tablets, etc. We saw people within 10 feet of bull elk. Bison in particular don't like people getting too close and they can easily out run any human. We even got stuck for 20 minutes in a bison jam with dozens of bison close enough to our vehicle that we could have touched them.

On our trip we saw numerous bears (grizzlies and black), bison, elk, antelope, mule deer and eagles. We also saw a few wolves and coyotes and one badger.
Thanks for this info! We definitely have respect for the wildlife and their space. I'm not planning on winning any Darwin awards by trying to take a selfie with a bear. We are so excited about being able to see some of these animals though!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

I'm also in the planning stage of a Yellowstone trip next year. I saw this on Facebook on the Jayco page and thought that it might be helpful to you:

https://www.jayco.com/blog/travel-id...-first-timers/

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #15

I found another link which might be of interest to you:

Yellowstone National Park

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I found another link which might be of interest to you:

Yellowstone National Park

Best,
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I'm also in the planning stage of a Yellowstone trip next year. I saw this on Facebook on the Jayco page and thought that it might be helpful to you:

https://www.jayco.com/blog/travel-id...-first-timers/

Best,
Steve
These are super helpful! Thank You!