Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #21

Tires don’t help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Probably the same as being in any vehicle with rubber tires contacting ground. We would probably disconnect any external power as a precaution.
And don't touch the vehicle when outside if live electrical wires have fallen onto it.
Rubber tires offer NO protection. It’s the RV’s construction that either protects you or doesn’t. Aluminum frame and/or aluminum shell: protected.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #22

A few thoughts based on what I've been reading in this post. I used to be a tech for a company that marketed commercial surge protectors. A surge protector is not going to protect anything from a direct lightning hit to a RV.

Tthey are designed to protect from surges coming into a RV from the power line. They are not designed to protect anything from a direct hit trying to get out of a RV.

I always unplug my AC power line and surge protector during a storm. A surge protector should help in the event of an "unexpected" closeby strike that might be trying to get in a RV, but ightning is way too powerful and unpredictable to count on it. I feel it's best to disconnect the power if possible.

I'm curious about those who have suggested raising the leveling jacks, etc. Lightning's goal is to find the shortest path to earth. If you raise the jacks, you're giving it a chance to find some other path to ground. You might not like its decision.

Lastly, I have an aluminum sided trailer with a wood frame. Needless to say, the roof is all wood and rubber membrane. If a thunderstorm comes thru, we're getting in the truck!
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnsusie View Post
2008Seneca,
I was thinking that too, but the metal hitch jack is in contact with the ground too even though I generaly have a couple wood blocks supporting it.
I have a set of these on all six jacks. Creates a bigger foot print and made out of recycled tires.............love 'em!

https://rvsnappad.com/products/snappad-xtra
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #24

"Just as safe in your regular home" is not a good deal. Here in our area we have houses every year that gets hit by lightning and catch fire.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote