Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 06:17 AM   #21

Sorry to hear, Origjcc.

I hate a thief...
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #22

So sorry - Keep us posted.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #23
Site Team

RV Command Remote Monitoring System

If you want to add some security to your TT, you can purchase one of these. It uses a cellular module to transmit your TT's information. Also has a GPS so it can be tracked if moved. It will send you a Text message should any of the sensors be activated. The monthly monitoring charge is less than $10 a month. I would recommend this solution for those that have to keep their TT's in Public Storage. Camping World also sells this model. You can hide it in a storage area. May need to add a SOLAR panel on the roof to keep the battery charged, or shore power... uses Mw in "Sleep Mode"

IF you get a text that it is moving, you can forward the website for monitoring to the local police dept and they can track it down FAST!!!

Mfr Link:
https://rv-command.com/

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - ALARM - Remote monitor.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #24

Or just put a sign on it that says "GPS tracking device installed on this trailer", whether you have it or not. Thieves aren't gonna check. My previous storage lot got broken into and a bunch of TV's were stolen including mine. Talked to the owner and told him to put up a sign on the front gate that said "24hr security cameras in place". He never actually installed any cameras but the thieves didn't know that. Hasn't been broken into since.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #25

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Keep us posted if you hear anything.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #26

We have a hitch lock and a big heavy motorcycle cable lock, woven through the wheels and suspension.

I also installed a little blinking red light, and a dummy keypad, near the door.
That's all it is, just a flashing red LED and some scrap buttons... but it might be an alarm system.

Much of security is in deterrence, and, if there's a row of equally tempting targets, thieves will go for the easiest/less risky one,
If they have their sights set on your particular RV (maybe they steal to order...), then you probably can't stop them. If they just want anything in a range, make it just a little bit harder for them and they'll go elsewhere.

Back to the original topic... I'd have to question why the storage facility doesn't have a camera at the entry gate, just above the keypad. With a little sign that says "smile" :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #27

Sad Day..

County Sheriffs found him, went and picked it up from impound today. Full of stuff that’s not mine, and our stuff is gone. The thief even changed the door lock out then added an extra, the irony. Praying insurance does the right thing here, this isn’t even a tenth of the damage.

Beyond trashed can’t even imagine being in it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #28

That is why I like my trailer being parked right beside my house with real security cameras watching my place.
I never trusted the storage lots.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #29

I hope justice will be done.

I'm glad they recovered your trailer. I too despise thieves. It's not only the damage and the monetary loss, it's the total disregard for the property of others that chaps my hide. Your loss of past and future use of your trailer while it is being cleaned and repaired cannot be compensated. I hope justice for the dirtbags responsible, comes in this life or the next. After more than 30 years in law enforcement, I have learned that the punishment for most property crimes does not deter these people.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #30

Hard to make a full assessment of the damage from the pics, but if you can get that thing written off that may be for the best. Good luck on the next stage of this adventure.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 AM   #31

Few years back I had the same thing happen to me with my travel trailer. It was also trashed but not as bad as yours. From my experience even if the insurance company pays to refurbish your rv it will never be the same as before or feel good while being in it. You were violated. So if it is refurbished by the insurance you may not want to keep it for too much longer and will be looking to trade it in for something else. That's what I did and I don't look back anymore to that Sad Day.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #32

Always been a DIY'r. Built my own tilt switch alarm system that doesn't draw any power unless it triggers. Then it will run a loud 120db siren about 4 hours. Simple - 12 volt relay, mercury tilt switch, 2 diodes, on/off switch, 12 volt siren, small 12 volt 4ah battery. Everything but on/off switch mounted inside roof ac cover. Not many low lifes bring a ladder to steal a trailer.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #33

While there is satisfaction getting the yahoo convicted, it would be next to impossible for us to be talked into keeping it. All the best on the choices before you.