Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #21

I wouldn't be worried about other campers who are in the same campground, registered and there for fun. I'd merely be concerned with outsiders on a shopping spree late at night, wandering through the campsites, as well as any unit that's stored somewhere off your home property.

As for personal protection, government properties are commonly areas with special restrictions, and different states have their own laws. National Parks generally follow federal law, then state law in the particular state where you happen to be located. For instance, Yellowstone occupies parts of Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho, and they all have different laws. They all allow concealed carry unless a particular building or area prohibits it (such as a Ranger office for one example). Conversely, Yosemite is contained within California, and follows the more restrictive between Federal vs State law. They don't even allow pepper spray within the park, but they must allow firearms due to federal law. Most military bases will not allow you on-base with a firearm.

Best advice? Check out the local laws for your destination and plan accordingly.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #22

Back to the OP. We mostly camp in state parks. I have never seen any issues. However, my spare tire is under the tongue. I lock my two propane tanks to the spare.

Bikes, often they are locked to a tree, but not always.

If i brimg a Generator, it is always locked, and when not in use stored and secured in the back of the tv.

The cargo hold keys on 99 percent of the campers use the same 751 key. It's a good idea to change it, but I have never gotten to it.

Keeping valuables out of sight is best.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 04-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #23

I carry a weapon all the time. Being in law enforcement makes it easier. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #24

I won't go into what I carry or don't carry.
But I have a lock on my LP tanks so you can't unscrew the lock. I usually lock my dead bolts on my doors (standard for the trailer I guess on the doors but I have one keyed differently due to one breaking and having to replace the whole lock/latch), changed my storage bin locks so they're not one of the standard locks. I'm probably going to do something for my battery as well as my spare tire.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post
I carry a weapon all the time. Being in law enforcement makes it easier. [emoji41]

It does make it a heck of a lot easier!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #26

Amen, brother
Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #27

Love it and Agree
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post

X2, nationwide

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #29

I don't do anything special, preferring to trust my fellow campers. I don't recall ever having anything stolen. I do lock my bikes (usually) and kayaks (if not on my site), but otherwise, nothing special aside from putting stuff away.
I figure you want to do just enough to not tempt the dishonest person, and hopefully have them move along. A hardened thief isn't going to care much about what security you have in place if they want something badly enough, and may just do more damage stealing it if you overdo it.
All this gun talk does concern me a bit; scary to realise that that many of my neighbors are packing when I camp in the US. The only thing I shoot with when camping is my Canon T5i.
I do recall a couple of years ago that some yahoos launched all of the unchained canoes and kayaks at our regular campground in the middle of the night. Took a whole fleet of campers the better part of the day to scour the lake and bring them all back but one.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #30

Trusting unknown and unseen potential criminals and thieves with your camping gear, but won't trust former law enforcement officers and law abiding citizens who might happen to pack a firearm in their rig for self-protection? Wouldn't be my approach, but to each his own.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #31

We lock the camper door when away, and if the generator is with us, that is always locked to something.

Here's what stays unlocked: storage doors, bikes, solar panels, kayaks, chairs, etc.

We've been camping for 10 years all over the country and have have never been the victim of theft. Had a couple things bow out of the bed of the truck, but that didn't count. I don't worry about it. Your mileage and opinion may vary!

I've realized for a while that the RV crowd is one that overwhelmingly is concerned with protection. While I have zero issue with others "exercising their right", I have never once felt the need to have anything more to protect me beyond my wits. We overnight in Wal-Mart's, Cracker Barrel and the like and have never once had an issue or felt unsafe. I'm sure many would disagree with my thoughts on it, but I live like I want to live without fear (and without "protection") and its worked perfectly good so far! I generally feel like the places I go are safe, most people are honest and that I am hundreds of times more likely to be impacted by an auto accident than I am a person wanting to hurt me.

Just sharing my thoughts and not trying to tell anyone else how they should live, or saying their way is wrong.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
We lock the camper door when away, and if the generator is with us, that is always locked to something.

Here's what stays unlocked: storage doors, bikes, solar panels, kayaks, chairs, etc.

We've been camping for 10 years all over the country and have have never been the victim of theft. Had a couple things bow out of the bed of the truck, but that didn't count. I don't worry about it. Your mileage and opinion may vary!

I've realized for a while that the RV crowd is one that overwhelmingly is concerned with protection. While I have zero issue with others "exercising their right", I have never once felt the need to have anything more to protect me beyond my wits. We overnight in Wal-Mart's, Cracker Barrel and the like and have never once had an issue or felt unsafe. I'm sure many would disagree with my thoughts on it, but I live like I want to live without fear (and without "protection") and its worked perfectly good so far! I generally feel like the places I go are safe, most people are honest and that I am hundreds of times more likely to be impacted by an auto accident than I am a person wanting to hurt me.

Just sharing my thoughts and not trying to tell anyone else how they should live, or saying their way is wrong.
Just curious. Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your rig?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Sure, the crappy one that came with it.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #34

Do you fear fire?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #35

While I understand some people's concerns about firearms. How many times have you seen or heard shots fired while camping (Other than maybe at the rare aggressive bear in camp). I've never even seen anybody brandish a firearm. So as Dustdevil stated about the fire extinguisher, I've never had to use mine in the 12 years of travel trailer ownership but it's with me always

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Do you fear fire?

Wouldn't you have to be a bit silly to not fear fire? I've travelled all over the US and Canada and find most people, even the rough ones are much more reasonable than not. I've yet to come across a reasonable fire.

I've never felt the need to carry a gun for safety but with the build quality of an RV shaking down the road for many thousands of miles, I have several fire extinguishers. And all kinds of other safety and repair equipment.

If you want to worry about RV safety then a bit of common sense is all you need outside of traditional safety items. Like the fire extinguisher.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #37

I do not fear fire or firearms, and have a healthy respect for both. Neither is a threat on its own, but both require inconsiderate people to become a danger. I take reasonable precautions to avoid paying the consequences of the actions of people who are inconsiderate of others. Simply drawing the analogy.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #38

Quote:
We've a new T-A MH so it came equipped mounted by the entrance. Regardless, we wouldn't be without one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
It does make it a heck of a lot easier!
Try crossing the border to Canada.. It is not easier then. A trooper friend had his gun in the car and found out the hard way that handguns are not allowed.. and then Customs dismantled the car..

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Try crossing the border to Canada.. It is not easier then. A trooper friend had his gun in the car and found out the hard way that handguns are not allowed.. and then Customs dismantled the car..
Yea, it has it's limitations. I've only carried a firearm into Canada once, but that was work related.
Closed Thread