Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Try crossing the border to Canada.. It is not easier then. A trooper friend had his gun in the car and found out the hard way that handguns are not allowed.. and then Customs dismantled the car..
Yeah, you don't normally want to do that. The rules are different in Canada than they are here, and US citizens are visitors. We need to be sure we act like we're in someone else's house. Their house, their rules.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Just curious. Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your rig?
This is always the first thing brought up, and it's a pretty silly comparison. Fire extinguishers don't kill people. However, one can be used for self defense against an intruder, and most likely will drive him off in a non-lethal way.

I have had fire extinguishers in every home and I have one in my camper. I have insurance on my vehicles, my home, and a policy on my camera gear. No worries about hurting anyone with those, and no legal issues if they are employed in their normal capacity.

I've owned guns in the past and I may again in the future, but I won't use the excuse of self defense. I enjoy shooting, but I really have no desire to deal with the emotional and legal problems which would arise from shooting someone. I'll stick to shooting at inanimate objects.

I refuse to be persuaded into the mindset of being afraid to leave home without a gun. I don't have an American Express Card either.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
Old 04-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #43

I have no problem with someone choosing to not properly equip themselves for self defense.

The problem arises when those people become busy bodies who want to force their choice onto others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
This is always the first thing brought up, and it's a pretty silly comparison. Fire extinguishers don't kill people. However, one can be used for self defense against an intruder, and most likely will drive him off in a non-lethal way.

I have had fire extinguishers in every home and I have one in my camper. I have insurance on my vehicles, my home, and a policy on my camera gear. No worries about hurting anyone with those, and no legal issues if they are employed in their normal capacity.

I've owned guns in the past and I may again in the future, but I won't use the excuse of self defense. I enjoy shooting, but I really have no desire to deal with the emotional and legal problems which would arise from shooting someone. I'll stick to shooting at inanimate objects.

I refuse to be persuaded into the mindset of being afraid to leave home without a gun. I don't have an American Express Card either.
With all due respect, you missed the point entirely. It is not fear that motivates firearm owners any more than it's fear that motivates people who keep a fire extinguisher around. It's called an analogy, and it's not mean to be literal. Nobody said anything about shooting someone. If you don't trust your own judgement with a firearm, I suggest you don't own one.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
I have no problem with someone choosing to not properly equip themselves for self defense.

The problem arises when those people become busy bodies who want to force their choice onto others.

True enough. I agree completely.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #46

Quote:

This is almost exactly our thoughts RPreeb.. Thanks for the input. P.S. I do have an American Express card 🤓

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
With all due respect, you missed the point entirely. It is not fear that motivates firearm owners any more than it's fear that motivates people who keep a fire extinguisher around. It's called an analogy, and it's not mean to be literal. Nobody said anything about shooting someone. If you don't trust your own judgement with a firearm, I suggest you don't own one.
You are talking about using a gun to enforce security, and if you ever encounter a perceived threat, the odds are that you will shoot someone, or at least shoot at them, or threaten them. Why else would you be carrying a gun? If you don't plan to use it, then you don't really need it, do you?

2017 Jay Feather X213
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #48

If someone is attacking you or your family it is just a "perceived" threat. Got it. You convinced me that there is no need to carry self defense equipment because any threat I might encounter will only be "perceived" as a threat.

6 Speed Manual
Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
If someone is attacking you or your family it is just a "perceived" threat. Got it. You convinced me that there is no need to carry self defense equipment because any threat I might encounter will only be "perceived" as a threat.

Wasn't trying to convince you to do anything - you can do as you please. I just get a bit tired of those who think that their only security lies in carrying a gun.

And yes, there are many actions which may look threatening while not actually intended as such. That's how police officers in a suspicious situation end up shooting an unarmed person who is stupid enough to reach for a wallet or cell phone without getting an okay from the officer. That is a "perceived" threat to which the wrong reaction could leave you locked up for a long time.

2017 Jay Feather X213
Old 04-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #50

I haven't seen anyone claim that their only security lies in carrying a gun. What else do you need to make up to prove your point?

6 Speed Manual
Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Wasn't trying to convince you to do anything - you can do as you please. I just get a bit tired of those who think that their only security lies in carrying a gun.

And yes, there are many actions which may look threatening while not actually intended as such. That's how police officers in a suspicious situation end up shooting an unarmed person who is stupid enough to reach for a wallet or cell phone without getting an okay from the officer. That is a "perceived" threat to which the wrong reaction could leave you locked up for a long time.
Boy did you miss the point. Was that deliberate? Because only a few actually miss it by that much.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #52

9 times out of 10, just pulling a gun out prevents crime. Ask any cop. A lot of them will go an entire career without ever firing their weapon at someone.

That said, I carry because i'm in the 'shooting sports', Army trained, very comfortable around firearms. I hunt Elk in the winter, fill my freezer with the best steaks I've found to exist in the world. I actually have my own FFL license. The cool thing about these rights we have in the US is nobody is forcing anyone to exercise them. That's freedom. When someone is in trouble, or their life is at risk - they usually call someone with a gun. And if they are *very lucky* that person will show up in time to help, but more often than not, they show up too late and a victim ends up in the morgue. Carrying a weapon isn't a decision to be taken lightly, and none of the people I know that do - have made that decision lightly. To each his own. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked already honestly.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #53
Site Team

Thread closed...

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Closed Thread