Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #1

Same 30' same 7.3 Triton: Class A or C?

So much to learn!
We're spending longer summers away from hot Phoenix and wanting to upsize from our 212QBW TT. And avoid hitching for DW.

We had zero'd in on Greyhawk 30Z (theatre seats). We just went to look at some and...
lo and behold there are Class As the same size, same gas engine, and same Onan 4000, same basic price... Who knew?!?

We happened to tour the Thor A.C.E 30.3. But my questions are fundamental, not model specific. One difference I noted was that when you swivel the Class A cockpit seats, they are on basically the same level as the rest of the floor. There is still overcab sleeping for kids.

So, if we found the floor plan we liked (walk around bed & nice theater seats and TV viewing), why would we choose A over C or vise versa?

Thanks in advance from the knowledge base here

Paul
Phoenix PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix PAL View Post
So much to learn!
We're spending longer summers away from hot Phoenix and wanting to upsize from our 212QBW TT. And avoid hitching for DW.

We had zero'd in on Greyhawk 30Z (theatre seats). We just went to look at some and...
lo and behold there are Class As the same size, same gas engine, and same Onan 4000, same basic price... Who knew?!?

We happened to tour the Thor A.C.E 30.3. But my questions are fundamental, not model specific. One difference I noted was that when you swivel the Class A cockpit seats, they are on basically the same level as the rest of the floor. There is still overcab sleeping for kids.

So, if we found the floor plan we liked (walk around bed & nice theater seats and TV viewing), why would we choose A over C or vise versa?

Thanks in advance from the knowledge base here

Paul
A class c has a lower clearance, which suits them better for boondocking.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
A class c has a lower clearance, which suits them better for boondocking.
Hmmm.. not sure I follow. We don't boondock, but we've been in a few very steep/rough sites that required our 4x4. And we were very thankful for our high clearance Baja edition.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix PAL View Post
Hmmm.. not sure I follow. We don't boondock, but we've been in a few very steep/rough sites that required our 4x4. And we were very thankful for our high clearance Baja edition.
Class A is quite a bit higher (roof) making it difficult to get into many boondocking areas without wiping the antennae, a/c, etc. off the roof. We're in a class A and you have to be careful even in town for tree limb clearance. You're not likely going to have much success taking either class into an area requiring 4x4.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #5

OK gotcha now. Our Baja is 13ft high so probably no difference there. It's never been an issue.

I just haven't been noticing these shorter class As. Any search about the difference between As and Cs will immediately say that Class A is bigger.

But if length and engine are equal, then what is the criteria for choosing?

I see that the Greyhawk is about 11.5', as you say better clearance, versus our 13' Baja TT.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #6

Biggest diff from class c to class a is storage, I think. Lots more in the class a.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:44 PM   #7

Sit in the cockpit of a class C and then go directly to sit in the cockpit of a class A. You will answer your own question.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Sit in the cockpit of a class C and then go directly to sit in the cockpit of a class A. You will answer your own question.

A ha! Well, I'm familiar with neither. With a Class A in your sig, I'm guessing the Class A is more comfy to drive, and as the sales person pointed out, visibility down the sides in the mirrors is also better.

And, as JacJayco points out, better storage below in the A.

Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for those great points!