Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #21

Today was the day to do this and I couldn't find the hose adaptor so ... I hand held the hose for nearly 15 min. pumping water in. Finally full I held my breath and turned on the pump ... everything there still worked like it should. Now it's sitting/sanitizing. Tomorrow I'll procure another adaptor, drain, refill, flush, and drain completely once again.

Oh yeah, if one cup of Clorox is good then two would be better. So that's what I did.

Then I'll add maybe a quarter tank of water (for highway toilet flushing).
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #22

Any great ideas for getting the bleach solution into the fresh water tank? My Jayco does not have a gravity fill for the fresh water tank, only a city water hose connection with a valve switch to get water to the tank.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
Any great ideas for getting the bleach solution into the fresh water tank? My Jayco does not have a gravity fill for the fresh water tank, only a city water hose connection with a valve switch to get water to the tank.
Do you have a country fill option on your manifold? We use the country fill to introduce bleach solution into the system.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
On a YouTube video I saw, they just dumped bleach into the fill hose before connecting it to the TT then turned on the water to push the bleach into the tank.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #25

Somewhere on this Forum, I read that if you cut off the end of a hose to fill FW tank. I now use a ~12" hose end in my FW fill and just leave it in there....pull it out some, hook up the water hose to it, and fill the tank. No holding, splashing or getting wet. Works great for me.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #26

No country fill
Old 05-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #27

That's what I did but the trailer is up hill from the water source therefore it's nearly a 2 person job, a hand to hold each hose and one to pour the bleach. Seems like there should be a better way other than this redneck solution?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #28

I just run "city water" thru system. Its got tons of chemicals in it, that's why a lot of folks buy bottle water to drink and use "city water" to clean. Could see a problem if you use untreated water.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
I just run "city water" thru system. Its got tons of chemicals in it, that's why a lot of folks buy bottle water to drink and use "city water" to clean. Could see a problem if you use untreated water.
Apparently you haven't heard - almost all bottled water is just "city water". Very few companies even do as little as extra filtering, let alone scrubbing out the "chemicals". And city water only barely has enough "chemicals" (chlorine) to keep it things from growing in it on it's way to your tap. Let it sit for even a day, and the little bit of chlorine leaves by gassing off ("evaporation", kind of). It is no way strong enough to do any good in sanitizing a system.

As far as heaters - due to their warm environments, and smaller tubes in the heater core, they are prime areas for things to grow. Using the recommended amount of bleach and letting it sit will prevent that. Using lots of extra bleach on the theory that more is better, can corrode the heater. So keep to the recommended amounts, and you'll never have an issue. But you should always include the heater in the sanitization routine.