Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Satellite antenna hook up

I have tried to connect my tailgater satellite dish into the antenna input in order to use the hardwiring already available in my jayco 27ds. I am unable to get a signal through to the tv unless I go straight to the tv from the satellite dish. Is this normal, or should it work using the antenna input on the rig?
mytidi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

What year is your rv? Normally there is separate wiring for the satellite connection that will go to a connection behind the tv.
Mine will not work through the antenna connection. You can try it, but make sure the antenna amplifier is turned off?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

I have the Dish tailgater going to a Wally. The out put of the Wally to an input of the 4x1 splitter that came with the RV. When working correctly I can set the input on TV to see either DVD, CABLE, SATELLITE, OR Over the Air. The operative words here are “When working correctly”. Most problems occur with the 4x1 splitter. Check your cables. I had a bad antenna cable. Also keep around 25 feet. Mine doesn’t work with 50 feet. Wally spec sez 25 feet cable.
LOL
Dish Wally
longleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Ah. I don’t have a splitter. Maybe that’s what I need. Also I bet my cable is 50’ going into the receiver.
mytidi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #5

Yea 50 feet is too long. I had to plug the cable directly from dish to Wally then from Wally to TV. This eliminated everything else in the chain. I had a hard time figuring out the internal wiring of the RV and all of the possible combinations of of buttons and input selection choices on the TV itself. My splitter came in the RV it is supposed to automatically switch any of 4 inputs to any of the 3 outputs.
Mine has a bad channel and hangs up randomly, it does work with the manual buttons. I believe it is a bad unit. Then I had the bad cable.

Patience Grasshopper
Dish Wally
longleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

I found that the in port labeled SAT will not support my DirectTV system.

The AUX port in the connection center does support the DTV system.

I discovered that when trying for several hours to get the DTV system working by using a multi-meter to trace down the proper port in the 5th wheel.
drwnkw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

In my trailer there is a separate wall plate with two coax connectors beside the one for the antenna. I use the top one to run a short piece of coax to the 211 and use the 50 foot piece of RG6 that came with my Tailgater to connect to the Sat/Cable In on the outside of the camper. The connector with the booster and 12 volt plug only works with the rooftop antenna on mine.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill777x View Post
In my trailer there is a separate wall plate with two coax connectors beside the one for the antenna. I use the top one to run a short piece of coax to the 211 and use the 50 foot piece of RG6 that came with my Tailgater to connect to the Sat/Cable In on the outside of the camper. The connector with the booster and 12 volt plug only works with the rooftop antenna on mine.
That is the typical set up for Jayco. They come with a short loop wire connected between the 2 connectors on the wallplate. As delivered with the loop installed a connection to a CG cable will be fed directly into the internal coax wireing for the RV. Remove the loop and a piece of coax to the input on the back of the sat receiver and the output from the receiver back to connector 2 on the wallplate and you should be good to go. Too bad Jayco doesn't include directions for the electronics connection procedure.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

Cable tv not working

That is the typical set up for Jayco. They come with a short loop wire connected between the 2 connectors on the wallplate. As delivered with the loop installed a connection to a CG cable will be fed directly into the internal coax wireing for the RV. Remove the loop and a piece of coax to the input on the back of the sat receiver and the output from the receiver back to connector 2 on the wallplate and you should be good to go. Too bad Jayco doesn't include directions for the electronics connection procedure.

I’m New at this and I have never got the cable to work. Could you explain what I have to do with the loop. I’m trying to connect to the cable outlet at the RV park. The wall plates are unmarked. All too confusing to the uneducated. Is there someplace to get written instructions?
RWilson928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWilson928 View Post

I’m New at this and I have never got the cable to work. Could you explain what I have to do with the loop. I’m trying to connect to the cable outlet at the RV park. The wall plates are unmarked. All too confusing to the uneducated. Is there someplace to get written instructions?
No written instructions that I have ever seen. If you are wanting to hook up to a CG cable, leave the loop in place between the 2 connectors on the wall plate. Make sure the booster [green lite] on the wall plate [usually also has a 12v cig plug outlet] is "OFF". The cable now s/b fed into the RV coax wiring and available to the main tv and all other coax connections in the RV. Check with the host or CG office and ask if the cable is working at your site. I'd say that my experience is maybe 50/50 that my site is working.

My white Hawk only has one external input connector and the set up is as described above. Our previous TT had 2 and one was marked cable and the 2nd was Sat. If your Jayco has the loop on the wall plate as described I suspect you only have a single exterior input connection.

If the above doesn't work, you might try bringing in coax cable thru window and connect it directly to the input on the back of a tv. If that doesn't work then I suspect there is something bad at the power post. If it does work, you probably have an issue at the splitter that is usually behind the wall plate that contains the booster switch/green lite. All of this s/b as easy as plugging in your toaster but its not. The good news is that once you figure out the grimlens in your system you'll be good to go for the future.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #11

Exclamation

I just purchased the Winegard Pathway for Dish for my 5er and have not had the opportunity to try installing everything and to be quite frank I'm really not looking forward to the obvious frustrations that will accompany this project. Even though I have only one Walley receiver, the salesman who seemed very knowledgeable, said I could use a RF Modulator to pull in the satellite channels on my other two TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the basement. Anyone out there ever tried this setup. I'm not a tech person and really don't know where to start!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I just purchased the Winegard Pathway for Dish for my 5er and have not had the opportunity to try installing everything and to be quite frank I'm really not looking forward to the obvious frustrations that will accompany this project. Even though I have only one Walley receiver, the salesman who seemed very knowledgeable, said I could use a RF Modulator to pull in the satellite channels on my other two TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the basement. Anyone out there ever tried this setup. I'm not a tech person and really don't know where to start!
What he is referring to is running the output from the receiver into the RV's coax wiring. If you hook it up that way, you should be able to view the same sat channel on all tvs. You will not be able to tune any of the tvs to a different channel. If you have the pathway 2x it will support 2 tvs but you need a separate reveiver for the 2nd tv. There are limitations in that the pathway only locks onto one sat at a time. The 2nd tv will be able to tune in any channels being transmitted from the sat that the main tv is tuned to. Since almost all HD channels are on the same Dish sat, you're in pretty good shape.

There are a lot of youtube videos out there to help a newbie better understand the world of sat tv.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
What he is referring to is running the output from the receiver into the RV's coax wiring. If you hook it up that way, you should be able to view the same sat channel on all tvs. You will not be able to tune any of the tvs to a different channel. If you have the pathway 2x it will support 2 tvs but you need a separate reveiver for the 2nd tv. There are limitations in that the pathway only locks onto one sat at a time. The 2nd tv will be able to tune in any channels being transmitted from the sat that the main tv is tuned to. Since almost all HD channels are on the same Dish sat, you're in pretty good shape.

There are a lot of youtube videos out there to help a newbie better understand the world of sat tv.
I guess I'm looking for some detailed instructions from someone that has done what I'm trying to accomplish............again, I'm very far from being a techky!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #14

I have just set mine up and similar to yours so I can help you out.

I have a 2018 315 RLTS with the basement TV so we have the same rig.

I use a Winegard X1 which has two cable outputs and locks on one satellite at the time. One is fixed to the roof and I have another one in the basement to use as a carry out if blocked. I have a VP211K in the living room and a VP 211Z in the bedroom. Both have portable hard drives attached so they act as DVRs. (Had I to do this over, I would have invested in the Traveler right off the bat. That is a whole other issue though.)

Step 1 - Make a shelf for your receiver to sit on inside the living room cabinet.

Step 2 - Run another HDMI (12') from the living room cabinet to the TV. You will have to remove a panel in the pantry and a drawer or two to run this.

Step 3 - You might need to purchase a RF Modulator if you have a 211Z or the Wally. The 211K has an RF output which is why I have one and it is in the living room.

Step 4 - Use two RG6 Cables to connect your Winegard antenna to the camper. Connect the primary cable from the Winegard to the Living Room Input at your dock. Connect the secondary cable from the Winegard to the Bedroom and Basement input at your dock.

Step 5 - In the living room, run a short RG6 Cable from the Sat connection (at wall plate) to the DISH Receiver RF Input. Connect the newly run HDMI Cable to the Receiver and turn the TV to whichever HDMI port it is connected to. Turn on the Receiver and wait for it to lock onto the Dish Satellite and set up. After dish is set up turn everything off.

Step 6 - In the living room electronic box, disconnect the supplied RG6 cable that is connected to the cable connection on the wall plate. Use a short RG6 cable to connect a leg of an AB Switch to Cable that same wall plate cable connection in the Living Room electronic box. Turn off the antenna amp by pushing the small button on the plate there (the little light will go out). Connect the previously disconnected RG6 (the one that runs to the TV) to a leg of the AB Switch. Use another short RG6 cable to connect the third leg of the AB Switch to the RF Modulator or on the VP211K, the RF Out. If using a RF Modulator, connect it to the Wally or Z with AV cables. Use a power strip to power all this stuff and turn everything back on. (Think through the AB switch by drawing it out on paper and disregard direction of flow; your going to use it both directions depending on whether you are on sat or antenna or cable hook up)

Step 7 - Using the HDMI on the TV check and make sure that DISH comes back up after you turn the receiver and TV back on. After it does, turn the living room TV back to AIR and check Channel 3 or 4 to see if you also get a picture of the DISH receiver output. (It will not be HD) If this works, go to the TV in the bedroom and on AIR check channel 3 or 4 to see if you have Living Room picture and sound there. If you do, go to the basement TV and do the same. It should be projecting through to both those TVs.

Step 8 - Make sure you have an RF remote that will reach the dish receiver in the living room from the Bedroom without being in a line of site.

Step 9 - Remember to leave the electronic cabinet in the living room open anytime power on the strip is on. The receiver and hard drive will fry without ventilation.

Step 10 - Purchase another Dish Receiver and a HDMI cable for the bedroom. Take the TV off the wall, connect the HDMI cable to one of the ports on the TV. Connect a 6' RG6 cable to the Sat connection behind the TV. Connect the HDMI cable and the RG6 cable to the new receiver and place it on the right side of the dresser. Disconnect power from the living room receiver. Plug the bedroom receiver in. Power up the living receiver then turn on the bedroom receiver. You can now have an HD satelite picture in the bedroom but you have to watch channels that are on the satellite that the Living Room is locked onto. If you want to change which receiver drives the satellite, simply switch the cables at the dock.

Hope this helps. Adding the second receiver in the bedroom for HD and having DVR capability on two receivers is where the Traveler antenna story begins and just keeps going and going and going.............
Fixentwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #15

Here are a couple photos for you as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2620.jpg   IMG_2624.jpg   IMG_2617.jpg   IMG_2618.jpg   IMG_2619 (003).jpg  

Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I guess I'm looking for some detailed instructions from someone that has done what I'm trying to accomplish............again, I'm very far from being a techky!
Guess I'm confused as to what you want? Sounded like you wanted a sat picture on all your tvs using just one receiver. My suggestion will do exactly that and all you have to do is connect the output from the receiver into the internal coax wiring at the wallplate, typically the wallplate that has the ant booster on it. Like others have said you will need an Rf modulator if your receiver does not have a coax output.

To set up a sat system with the ability to tune different channels on the main and the bedroom tv/s its a bit more complicated and it would require a second receiver.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #17

"Step 4 - Use two RG6 Cables to connect your Winegard antenna to the camper. Connect the primary cable from the Winegard to the Living Room Input at your dock. Connect the secondary cable from the Winegard to the Bedroom and Basement input at your dock."

Fixentwo, thanks sooooo much for that detailed layout. I appreciate your help and time tremendously. The imputs at the dock are labeled "cable" "satellite" & "aux". Are the inputs on your dock labeled differently?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #18

To be sure I would have to look at the camper. I can do that this evening. I think the top one is the Sat to the living room. The middle one (cable) is the cable in to the whole coach. The bottom one or Aux is the sat connection to the bedroom and the basement.

I am glad to be of help to you. There are so many posts on here that have helped me it is good to give something back.

David
Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixentwo View Post
To be sure I would have to look at the camper. I can do that this evening. I think the top one is the Sat to the living room. The middle one (cable) is the cable in to the whole coach. The bottom one or Aux is the sat connection to the bedroom and the basement.

I am glad to be of help to you. There are so many posts on here that have helped me it is good to give something back.

David
Thanks so much David...............looking forward to hearing back from you!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixentwo View Post

David
David, have you had a chance to look into the hookups?
Thanks,
Al
Formerly from Sequim, WA