Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Satellite antenna hook up

I have tried to connect my tailgater satellite dish into the antenna input in order to use the hardwiring already available in my jayco 27ds. I am unable to get a signal through to the tv unless I go straight to the tv from the satellite dish. Is this normal, or should it work using the antenna input on the rig?

mytidi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

What year is your rv? Normally there is separate wiring for the satellite connection that will go to a connection behind the tv.
Mine will not work through the antenna connection. You can try it, but make sure the antenna amplifier is turned off?

GHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

I have the Dish tailgater going to a Wally. The out put of the Wally to an input of the 4x1 splitter that came with the RV. When working correctly I can set the input on TV to see either DVD, CABLE, SATELLITE, OR Over the Air. The operative words here are “When working correctly”. Most problems occur with the 4x1 splitter. Check your cables. I had a bad antenna cable. Also keep around 25 feet. Mine doesn’t work with 50 feet. Wally spec sez 25 feet cable.
LOL
Dish Wally
longleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Ah. I donít have a splitter. Maybe thatís what I need. Also I bet my cable is 50í going into the receiver.
mytidi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #5

Yea 50 feet is too long. I had to plug the cable directly from dish to Wally then from Wally to TV. This eliminated everything else in the chain. I had a hard time figuring out the internal wiring of the RV and all of the possible combinations of of buttons and input selection choices on the TV itself. My splitter came in the RV it is supposed to automatically switch any of 4 inputs to any of the 3 outputs.
Mine has a bad channel and hangs up randomly, it does work with the manual buttons. I believe it is a bad unit. Then I had the bad cable.

Patience Grasshopper
Dish Wally
longleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

I found that the in port labeled SAT will not support my DirectTV system.

The AUX port in the connection center does support the DTV system.

I discovered that when trying for several hours to get the DTV system working by using a multi-meter to trace down the proper port in the 5th wheel.
drwnkw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

In my trailer there is a separate wall plate with two coax connectors beside the one for the antenna. I use the top one to run a short piece of coax to the 211 and use the 50 foot piece of RG6 that came with my Tailgater to connect to the Sat/Cable In on the outside of the camper. The connector with the booster and 12 volt plug only works with the rooftop antenna on mine.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill777x View Post
In my trailer there is a separate wall plate with two coax connectors beside the one for the antenna. I use the top one to run a short piece of coax to the 211 and use the 50 foot piece of RG6 that came with my Tailgater to connect to the Sat/Cable In on the outside of the camper. The connector with the booster and 12 volt plug only works with the rooftop antenna on mine.
That is the typical set up for Jayco. They come with a short loop wire connected between the 2 connectors on the wallplate. As delivered with the loop installed a connection to a CG cable will be fed directly into the internal coax wireing for the RV. Remove the loop and a piece of coax to the input on the back of the sat receiver and the output from the receiver back to connector 2 on the wallplate and you should be good to go. Too bad Jayco doesn't include directions for the electronics connection procedure.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

Cable tv not working

That is the typical set up for Jayco. They come with a short loop wire connected between the 2 connectors on the wallplate. As delivered with the loop installed a connection to a CG cable will be fed directly into the internal coax wireing for the RV. Remove the loop and a piece of coax to the input on the back of the sat receiver and the output from the receiver back to connector 2 on the wallplate and you should be good to go. Too bad Jayco doesn't include directions for the electronics connection procedure.

Iím New at this and I have never got the cable to work. Could you explain what I have to do with the loop. Iím trying to connect to the cable outlet at the RV park. The wall plates are unmarked. All too confusing to the uneducated. Is there someplace to get written instructions?
RWilson928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWilson928 View Post

Iím New at this and I have never got the cable to work. Could you explain what I have to do with the loop. Iím trying to connect to the cable outlet at the RV park. The wall plates are unmarked. All too confusing to the uneducated. Is there someplace to get written instructions?
No written instructions that I have ever seen. If you are wanting to hook up to a CG cable, leave the loop in place between the 2 connectors on the wall plate. Make sure the booster [green lite] on the wall plate [usually also has a 12v cig plug outlet] is "OFF". The cable now s/b fed into the RV coax wiring and available to the main tv and all other coax connections in the RV. Check with the host or CG office and ask if the cable is working at your site. I'd say that my experience is maybe 50/50 that my site is working.

My white Hawk only has one external input connector and the set up is as described above. Our previous TT had 2 and one was marked cable and the 2nd was Sat. If your Jayco has the loop on the wall plate as described I suspect you only have a single exterior input connection.

If the above doesn't work, you might try bringing in coax cable thru window and connect it directly to the input on the back of a tv. If that doesn't work then I suspect there is something bad at the power post. If it does work, you probably have an issue at the splitter that is usually behind the wall plate that contains the booster switch/green lite. All of this s/b as easy as plugging in your toaster but its not. The good news is that once you figure out the grimlens in your system you'll be good to go for the future.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote