Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG7800 View Post
Just a point of clarification - you cannot use ANY coax / cable splitters with any satellite dish. They're incompatible technologies. In the DBS satellite world, there are devices called multiswitches that, with commands being sent from the receiver boxes, can switch to different LNB's to view different stations and/or satellites.

Most modern campers have three coax inputs in the wet bay: Cable, SAT, and Aux. Typically, SAT *should* be a straight-run of RG6 coax from this connection to a separate jack near the living room TV. No splitters should be present on this run.

Cable, on the other hand, likely feeds one of the two ports on the back of your ANT/Cable switch behind the living room TV (the infamous jack with the green light switch). This run will NOT work for satellite as it's feeding through this switch and is then likely split several ways (in my 357MDOK, it is split 5 ways - yikes).

The AUX port has always been a straight run of RG6 to the bedroom in my last two campers. Assuming it's not mislabeled and the jayco tech was not smoking something, this should support satellite to the bedroom.

One other point to make - The Pathway X2 (and I suspect all of the other dishes) state to use NO MORE than 50 foot of RG6. On a side note, I have been successful using a 50ft run of RG6 from the wet bay to the satellite - connecting to the AUX port (bedroom TV), but not the SAT port (living room TV) for the primary connection, as that run is significantly shorter in my situation.

One last tip I'd like to suggest - check your cable runs. My Satellite run was never hooked up behind the wet bay, the cable was run but was never terminated They just left it dangling there behind the storage compartment wall. I used this device to trace out all of my cable runs and then labeled everything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084YZ99HL

Oh - and one other side note. After I found the 5-way splitting going on with the cable/antenna run, I redid the cabling and put everything through a 5 port antenna/cable TV amplified splitter. This significantly fixed my antenna and cable TV reception. Remember, every time you split a signal, you're essentially left with a fraction of what it was before the split. So, if you're splitting it 5 ways, you've got ~ 20% of signal strength now at every jack, unless you're using an amplified splitter.
My SAT and AUX were reversed. Took me a while to figure that out first trip out.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:29 AM   #22

I have the king tailgator (Dish) that is many years old! I haven't had any problems with it at all. I am a full timer and move often. I use an app the gives me the direction of the satellites and just point it that way and it does its thing. I also have it hooked up to my RV's outside connection, but it is the one that says AUX, make sure all the connections are tight. Works great!!

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote