Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2022, 05:48 PM   #1

satellite placement

Has anyone removed the factory installed antenna ( 2021 Redhawk SE 22C ) and placed a satellite unit in the same place? advisable or not? looking for feed back....
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #2

I have a tailgater dish satellite but do not have it mounted. I suppose if I was full timing and parked at the same spot I would, but it seems like every site I’m in requires the dish to be in a different spot. Sometimes at the front of the rig, sometimes in the back, sometimes on the picnic table. It’s seldom in the same spot. Last week I could only get signal from the top of the truck.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #3

I have a tailgater also and actually wouldn't want one premaritally mounted Most RVers try to find sites with lots of trees which ends up blocking the satellite view. The taligater allows you to find clear spot within a 100' radius. Same thing holds true with the Starlink Internet, which we have been using for a few months. It works pretty much the same way the tailgater works. So far we are extremely happy the Starlink setup. We just subscribed to YouTuib TV and getting the same basic programing, including local channels for half the cost with added benefit of internet. I will not be renewing my contract with Dish this Feb and will rely solely on the Starlink for our Internet and TV.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #4

Kirk, interesting info on starlink , can you share anymore info? We want to drop dish also. Is the dish similar to the tailgater? I need to look it up.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Kirk, interesting info on starlink , can you share anymore info? We want to drop dish also. Is the dish similar to the tailgater? I need to look it up.
Starlink is not available everywhere yet. You have to apply and leave a $99 deposit, when its available in your area they will let you know. Then its $500 for the equipment and $99 a month.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
There is a little investment to get started with Starlink. They make you buy the equipment ($500). Monthly is $99 which is $30 less than i paid with MediaCom. I was on the waiting list for about 6 months. If you are thinking about it, i would jump on their web page and get your name and address on their list. The waiting period is due to the shortage of semi conductors to produce the receive end equipment. The Dish comes with a portable ground stand, 100' cable and the WiFi Transceiver. It took me less than 5 mins to get it out of the box and up and running, very simple. The dish is approx 14" x 8" inch and is flat. It aims itself to the satellites. Mine points north east approx 80 degrees. When 'm at home i mount it on an eve mount which you can buy on their site $45 bucks. I also purchased and extra cable for the RV. It takes me a couple mins to pull it off the quick release mounts and store in RV for trips. I've never gotten less than 250MB but average around 300-350MB most of the time and they don't throttle bandwidth like Medacomm, So streaming never is an issue. When you use it at another site, you have to log into your account, and change your home location. It takes about two minutes for that process and your dish is up and running. It hasn't faded in rain or snow (like my Dish TV does), very reliable. I signed up for YouTube TV and i can stream my same exact TV lineup i have on Dish for $60 month vs. the $120 month i pay for Dish. Youtube allows 5 simultaneous streams at one time where i only have Three with Dish. It sure is nice having the internet anywhere you go. I have more than enough bandwidth to share with family and friends while camping. If you are an avid camper, I highly recommend it. You wont be disappointed. My wife still works under contract with a health company which she does by telecommute. Now we are able to hit the road anytime and she can do her job anywhere we travel. We love it,, and i know you would too.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:37 AM   #7

Had a question...So you have to wait to get it at your home location depending on when it is available for your area correct? I assume from what I read is that is due to them sending up more satelites. So what happens if you travel out west or up north to an area they do not have a satelite positioned for? Do you still get service?
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppbigdog View Post
Had a question...So you have to wait to get it at your home location depending on when it is available for your area correct? I assume from what I read is that is due to them sending up more satelites. So what happens if you travel out west or up north to an area they do not have a satelite positioned for? Do you still get service?

've been all over Calif north to south and never had lack of service anywhere. Starlink is actually now available through the continental U.S. When you go to their web site and plug your address in, you will get a date when service is available. This means a couple of things, 1) They may not have enough satellites in place to handle the customer base for that area, or 2) the manufactures of their Dish and Sat transceivers are in very short supply of the semi conductors to make the equipment. I live in a rural area so i think most of the problems getting your equip faster are due to status #2. Their satellites systems were initially set up for the North West, that's were services were first available, so traveling to those areas will not be any problems. I've read reports of people using the service throughout the midwest and east coast with not problems. If you are thinking about getting the service, i highly recommend going to their web site and signing up now. They will charge you a $50 refundable deposit and you will have at least a 6 month waiting period.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #9

Thanks
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #10

Do you have internet on your phone? Consider a smart TV. Wireless connection from phone to smart TV, and no hassle with cables, clear site to sky. Yes, you may have to subscribe to HULU or whatever, but at $4.99 a month for most of these internet TV services, its much cheaper that a cable monthly contract (unless you already use DISH, etc.).

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #11

Lots of good info, thank you everyone.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Do you have internet on your phone? Consider a smart TV. Wireless connection from phone to smart TV, and no hassle with cables, clear site to sky. Yes, you may have to subscribe to HULU or whatever, but at $4.99 a month for most of these internet TV services, its much cheaper that a cable monthly contract (unless you already use DISH, etc.).
I've used my phone many times for internet connections many times and had various experiences most not so good. A lot of areas we visit, most boon-docking have either no cell service or no cell service. The Starlink can be used anywhere as long as you have power, which is not a problem for me. Hulu doesn't have the full programing venue, i like to watch NFL Sports and Nascar and i can get all that through YouTubeTV for half cost of what Dish charges. We stream YouTube through a Fire Cube box where my wife also watches the Netflex stuff.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
Has anyone removed the factory installed antenna ( 2021 Redhawk SE 22C ) and placed a satellite unit in the same place? advisable or not? looking for feed back....
I would say you could do it that way. I would not reason: you would need to make sure you had no blockage for your dish to connect to the satellite in the sky. Not all campgrounds are this way. So would be hard to reserve a spot. I like the portable dish that way I can make sure the signal is strong.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:09 AM   #14

I know this is an older post but for those using Starlink in an RV is coverage good wherever you go? is moving the dish to a new location work every time?
I just got my email to get mine and am deciding what to do about it. I have great internet at home but will change it if this will work where ever i go.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc29 View Post
I know this is an older post but for those using Starlink in an RV is coverage good wherever you go? is moving the dish to a new location work every time?
I just got my email to get mine and am deciding what to do about it. I have great internet at home but will change it if this will work where ever i go.
I've used mine all over Northern Calif, East Oregon, Idaho, Nevada & AZ without any problems. Never once had a problem relocating I've also noticed my speeds avg. 300MB now compared to 200MB when i hooked up a little over a year ago.. We love it and have replaced our MediaCom home internet with it.. So far Starlink does not limit bandwidth for streaming as MedaCom does..
Old 05-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #16

We are waiting for delivery of our Starlink hardware... We saw a few of these in action while we were boondocking out in Moab UT and everyone we talked to was very happy with the product and bandwidth..

Now that it allows roaming the USA for an additional $25... and the coverage has improved across the USA... we are diving in.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We are waiting for delivery of our Starlink hardware... We saw a few of these in action while we were boondocking out in Moab UT and everyone we talked to was very happy with the product and bandwidth..

Now that it allows roaming the USA for an additional $25... and the coverage has improved across the USA... we are diving in.
FYI I didn’t take roaming package and still have no problem moving from location to location. Not sure what the roaming package buys you. Try unsung it before you add roaming, should work anyway