Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Satellite systems

So kinda done with wifi at campground. I am over with trying to watch TV with all the buffering. What system do you like.
I do not have a S&B so no current cable or satellite provider.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

I gave up on camp ground WIFI as well... Even the cable TV suffers at time as well when they fill up with people...

I usually switch over to OTA antenna and pick up the local TV stations doing that. Always pick up something...

I went with VERIZON MIFI Box for times like this... It does need a lot of GB's however... You can do this using your later version smart phone but mine is one of the older one that doesn't do the make you own HOTSPOT thing...

Between my BATWING OTA antenna and my VERIZON MIFI box we can watch TV pretty good just about everywhere... Even when are camping OFF-GRID somewhere...

Roy's image

If I get real desperate I bring along my eight BOW TIE antenna...

Google Image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Team

We use the Dish Tail-Gater. It has the automatic satellite locator. Plug it in and within 10 minutes you have Tv and the guide installed. The antenna sits perfectly on the TT's rear ladder. I have a cable and lock on it. I also have a 1Tb hard drive for recording programs. For a fee, you can add local channels for the area that you are camping in. You update your location on the Dish website, which automatically loads your local stations.

Here in the CG, we have cable, but can not record any programs on it. I put a A/B cable switch at the Tv so we can be recording on the satellite receiver and we can watch the cable channel also.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - Tail-Gater.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

We actually have a pretty unique solution for TV that I think works great.

We don't have cable or dish at home. We stream everything. So we have a DirecTV Now subscription which we watch through appletv at home.

But, when we are camping, we generally let the kids have the inside tv for DVD's and my wife and I use the outside tv that I installed. As long as we have a cell signal we can watch DirecTV on my iphone, I have an adapter that connects the phone to the outside TV via the HDMI connection. It's basically a little portable satellite dish without the expense and extra monthly cost of buying the dish.

The bonus is that, because we are with ATT for our cell plan, they don't count data you use for DirecTV Now on your data plan (because ATT owns both).

It works great at the many campgrounds that don't have cable or the cable is terrible.