Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

Satellite Virgin

I am considering adding satellite to my 377RLBH 5th wheel. What recommendations do you folks have.

Also, I have two ports in my exterior water control area, labled cable/satellite. One is the standard coaxial conn. The other is an oblong rubber receptacle with two brass pins. It almost looks like the 120v side of a power pack for a laptop. Does anyone know what this is.

Lastly, I was told the exterior connection would not work if there were any splitters in the internal wiring. Does anyone know about this?

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	20190607_135543_001.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	50414
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsest View Post
I am considering adding satellite to my 377RLBH 5th wheel. What recommendations do you folks have.

Also, I have two ports in my exterior water control area, labled cable/satellite. One is the standard coaxial conn. The other is an oblong rubber receptacle with two brass pins. It almost looks like the 120v side of a power pack for a laptop. Does anyone know what this is.

Lastly, I was told the exterior connection would not work if there were any splitters in the internal wiring. Does anyone know about this?

ThanksAttachment 50414
The problem with a hard mounted satellite if your in a wooded campground the trees block the signal. I've used a portable for the last 14yrs with no problems because I can move it around to find an open space between the trees. Will not work with splitters. If you hook it up to satellite connection it will probably work on the main tv but I have not tried it on our 377 yet. Most campgrounds have decent cable now.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Thanks cannon. What type of dish and receiver do you have. And yes. I have decided on portable.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #4

We're using a Winegard Pathway X2 and Wally. The interior wiring will work with the splitters, but it can be problematic. I ended up running a dedicated coax for the satellite from the entertainment center to the wet bay and haven't had any issues since doing that, and that also gives us the option to watch cable without disconnecting anything.

The rubber oblong connection is for a portable solar if you're using that.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #5

We had directv for 20 years, and used a Winegard folding portable dish, and just brought our receiver from home. Now that AT&T owns directv and they keep jacking up our bill, we just switched to Dish, and got a Wally & Playmaker combo for the RV.

You can get the Dish Wally & Playmaker combo for around $250-$300, and get service with Dish that you can turn on only during the months that you are camping. The Playmaker automatically finds the satellites for you based on your location. The Wally does send voltage through the cable line to power the Playmaker, so you can have straight connectors in the cable, but no splitters and it cannot run through the rv antenna booster.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #6

I too use a Pathway x2. There are several types of satellites out there. We love our x2 for two basic reasons.

1) it not only finds the signals by itself it will look to the southeast or southwest hemispheres.

2) The x2 has dual outputs, the aux signal is just a repeater of the main output.

Here's the skinny.

- If you have a smart phone then download the SatFinder app. This will show the all satellite signals that are in the southern hemisphere. DISH network has 3 in each SW and SE. This app will show you if you have trees or something blocking your x2's view to see them. Just keep moving the dish until you have a "clear view".

- Always have your coaxial ports on your x2 point to the north (reference point).

- We have separate coaxial cables running into the RV (maybe to many splitters). The last page of our x2 manual has a picture of how to jump the outside connection to ensure your signal is not interrupted by splitters. (It does not mention the aux coaxial cable run).

The x2 dish tracks either 3 signals in the southwest or 3 signals southeast depending on your "clear view" and what you select on your setup screen of your wally box.

The tracking of your x2 will independently select one of the three signals in the sky and the x2 will slightly move when you press the channel selection. Why? Because depending on what channel you want will depend on what signal the dish needs. This plays an important part in the slave or auxiliary output, as it will only repeat the available channels the main line is locked on (of the three signals).

Always use the handle on the x2 when transporting. "NEVER" manually move or adjust the x2 when storing it. It comes pointing straight up and when powered (from the Wally bow) it will start searching (takes about 1/2 hour to 1hr to complete, and you must use the Wally box to complete the setup.

You will damage it if not careful storing it and please don't ask how I know this.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. Robkelly - how did you run the coax. My underside is sealed and I am not sure about opening it.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Robkelly - how did you run the coax. My underside is sealed and I am not sure about opening it.
We also have the enclosed underbelly. I followed the wiring loom though the floor of the slide and back to the frame, and for now simply followed the propane line (it's exposed) along the frame rail until I found an opening to run back up to the wet bay.

In the not too distant future I'm going to open up the underbelly as I want to inspect everything and also clean out the junk 'm sure was let in there during manufacturing. I'll rerun the wiring when I have everything exposed.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #9

You may not need to run a new cable. My trailer is a 2013 28BHBE. By my primary tv in the LR, I have two outlets, one for cable/sat and one for the roof antenna. There’s a sticker on the plate that tells you which jack to connect to for satellite. It worked for directv and dish network.

Worst case, unscrew that plate, you just want to make sure your satellite cable is not running through the electronic antenna booster. You want it straight-through with nothing but straight connectors in the line. All of the newer trailers can accommodate satellite without running new cable.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #10

My Jayfeather, Bungalow, and Jayflight I could not use the trailer wiring, had to run a separate cable into the house from our Winegard Pathfinder 2 to the receiver and then a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I called about 6 different RV repair places and was told that the Jayco wiring could not send 12 volts to the winegard to power the antenna so that it goes around to find the satalites. This was on all 3 of the Jaycos that I owned. But if you call Jayco they will tell you that it will work thru the trailer. We also had a Tailgater and it would not work unless we had a separate cable connected. Also a authorized Dish installer came out and said the same thing.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

x2 on the Winegard Pathway X2. Great portable dish with a "brain" Initially setting it up can be a little frustrating, but once you have it down, it's a breeze.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
My Jayfeather, Bungalow, and Jayflight I could not use the trailer wiring, had to run a separate cable into the house from our Winegard Pathfinder 2 to the receiver and then a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I called about 6 different RV repair places and was told that the Jayco wiring could not send 12 volts to the winegard to power the antenna so that it goes around to find the satalites. This was on all 3 of the Jaycos that I owned. But if you call Jayco they will tell you that it will work thru the trailer. We also had a Tailgater and it would not work unless we had a separate cable connected. Also a authorized Dish installer came out and said the same thing.

Interesting, on my 2013 28BHBE, it powers my new Dish Playmaker just fine. You can hear the dish moving and it locks on to the satellites fine.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #13

From all of your comments, it sounds like I should hook up the system direct to see if it works. After that, test it through the 5th wheel wiring.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #14

This is not rocket science although pointing an 18" dish at a satalite some 20k plus miles up in the sky may seem impossible. The Pathway is a great auto set-up unit. Just pay attention to the instructions. Set it on a "relatively" level surface with an open view to the southern sky. That's pretty much it. Plug in the coax from the receiver and it will power up. It typically takes maybe 15 minutes to lock on to a signal and take a download of the program menu. The receiver should be connected without splitters. My whitehawk has just one input port on the outside of the trailer. inside there are 2 output ports, one to feed a clean signal to a receiver and the other is for feeding a picture to the tvs. It shouldn't be confusing but it is because there is so much mystery in how different models are wired.

Best advise I can give is to find a friend with sat experience who most likely will be glad to help with the initial setup.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
From all of your comments, it sounds like I should hook up the system direct to see if it works. After that, test it through the 5th wheel wiring.

Thanks again for your help.
I have no problem hooking up the Pathway to the "satellite" hook up on the docking station and then connecting the Wally to the satellite connection in the cabinet above the living room TV. I think from the docking station to that connection is free of spltters, it's from there on that splitters come into play.......to the bedroom and outdoor TV. I could be wrong but it won't be the first time
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #16

Thanks AKRUEBBE. I am hoping mine is wired that way.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #17

DirecTV

We have used DirecTV ever since they came on the market. We take the receiver out of the house and put it in the RV when we travel. There has been no problem receiving a signal throughout the US, Canada and Alaska. We use the following system from Amazon, and it takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes to set up, depending upon finding a near level spot and a clear shot to the satellite.
https://smile.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Mob...s%2C162&sr=8-3
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemf View Post
You may not need to run a new cable. My trailer is a 2013 28BHBE. By my primary tv in the LR, I have two outlets, one for cable/sat and one for the roof antenna. There’s a sticker on the plate that tells you which jack to connect to for satellite. It worked for directv and dish network.

Worst case, unscrew that plate, you just want to make sure your satellite cable is not running through the electronic antenna booster. You want it straight-through with nothing but straight connectors in the line. All of the newer trailers can accommodate satellite without running new cable.

You said something here that I made need to do or check, in my living area when I hook up the tv I can get signal for about 15 to 20 minutes then it will lose the signal, but in the bedroom it will play find because it don't have that antenna booster to go through
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #19

I currently use Directtv with a portable 18 in. Dish on a tripod. This works well for me and I use 2 standard def boxes. I do not believe Directtv is offering an option of standard definition to new customers and they are phasing this out. I stay with Directtv because of the free data streaming of Directtv from ATT if your mobible devices are connected to ATT. If I was a new user and was primarily going to a satellite service for the RV. I would have to seriously consider Dish. It appears their service is more RV friendly.
Frank2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #20

That oblong plug you see is for your solar pre-wire.

I use a King Quest portable satellite on a tripod. I also lock my dish with a long cable I got from Home Depot. I have Direct TV and take a box with me. I use a VQ4100 controller and the setup works well. I point the dish to the southern sky and turn the controller on before I hook up the receiver. You will have to change some satellite settings in the receiver but the instructions are good and it's not too difficult. The controller will allow the satellite to search and when I'm not too far from home, I can get 2 satellites and enjoy local TV. The VQ4100 also has an alarm that will sound if someone starts messing with your dish. You will have to initially set up the controller but again, not difficult. I've had no problems with this setup.
Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote