Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

Schwintek Slide issues

We have a 2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS - We have had issues with our kitchen slide from when we purchased it brand new. Of course everytime we took it in it wouldn't act up. We haven't used our camper more than a couple dozen time and front slide motor labors and has the tracks stripped. I have tried to get help from Jayco and Schwintek for two years. A camper this expensive shouldn't be this hard to get help with. Any suggestions
maryk12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the site from SW Michigan!

What a bummer. Things this expensive you'd think there wouldn't be any problems.

There are many seasoned members here and I'm sure they'll jump in to offer help/advice.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryk12001 View Post
We have a 2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS - We have had issues with our kitchen slide from when we purchased it brand new. Of course everytime we took it in it wouldn't act up. We haven't used our camper more than a couple dozen time and front slide motor labors and has the tracks stripped. I have tried to get help from Jayco and Schwintek for two years. A camper this expensive shouldn't be this hard to get help with. Any suggestions
I feel your pain
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate View Post
I feel your pain
Well I have had this unit for about 3 yrs and I have had the large slide worked on all 3 yrs, sometimes twice in a yr, under warranty---its out of warranty and I had enough.

So I took it to an RV repair shop that would do what I asked, I told them that I was paying for this work, and I do no what you contacting the factory for advice, I was lucky enough to have 2 experienced Mechanics to do this.

Some back story the slide sucks, RV1 in Tampa were I bought it from could not figure how to fix it, the service lady there was dumb has a box of rocks, she said we cannot tell the factory how to fix it, we have to wait for them to tell us how to fix it, even though we know what's wrong-- it has been there now for 2 mths the slide would not go in all the way, it was a brand new unit--

I got fed up with there bull, went in to there place hooked up to it and towed it to Lazydays--I had been working a back channel to do this with Lazy days.

They found many problems with the RV (5th wheel) and took care of it closing all the way, the Factory installed a wrong part underneath the 14 foot slide that stopped it from closing all the way in the back of it. Ok I think its fixed---

We go to the NW, the slide starts to have problems, not opening all the way, its getting stuck, or I have to bring it in and out, the slide is walking--not going out smooth or all at the same time. I am pissed-- I trouble shot it, and the motor that brings the unit in and out has snapped the retaining screw that holds it down into the gear housing has snapped and the motor has spun , no damage at this time to the wiring, I popped the motor up and out , and set it back in and reconnect the wiring harness , and reinstall a new set screw to hold the motor back into the drive gear housing, ok repair done its working sort-a.

Continue--with our 5 mth trip, various stops, and the slide is having a hard time, and for the life of me, cannot find a problem.

Get to Quebec , the slide stops working, drive motor snaps the retaining screw and pops the drive motor up and out of the gear and spins in place and rips the wiring harness apart , I am pissed and screwed at this point-could not find the problem-none. So I pop the other drive motor out, push in the slide by my self, go to a local hardware store get some 2x4s and a hand saw and build a brace to hold the slide in place while we travel to Bangor Maine 300 miles away, yes there was no one around us that had the time or parts on hand to work on it-

So get to our spot and the campground (Cold River) was very nice to us, told them what was going on, and they bent over backwards for us to stay until we could get it repaired. We was given a nice spot for the stay, and I pushed the 14 ft slide with a residential side by side refrigerator out, and started to make phone calls.

So I contacted the local dealer that carries this unit, and his answer was to take it back to were you bought it to have warranty work done on it, I explained to them nicely that that was 1800 away--- are you kidding me (ok here's the unit--321RST Jayco).

So some more phone calls, found an independent repair facility that would handle it, in Orrington Maine. Spent the next week and a half heavy on the phone with Jayco to get things shipped and approve the repairs, that shop said the both sides of the slide would have to have the Schwintek assembly's fully replaced, other warranty stuff was being taken care of also -

They, we I was helping to learn more about this problem pulled off the assembly's and parts were falling off--gear rails were chewed up, guide wheels feel-apart and so one--I know you get the picture. Thinking the new units were going to fix the problem, I was starting to relax, new units installed other warranty work done, and by the way-- I have electrical meters installed to monitor the voltage and amps and so on, and started to pay attention to this while operating the large slide--AKA the problem slide, my Amp readings were avg about 8 amps ish, that's high for the small wires that feed those 2, 500:1 drive motors, so things fixed we start heading out of the cold going home , we stopped a few times things seemed ok but I could sense something wasn't right, in LakeCity SC, it started to have problems again. Ship forward to getting home, found a place that could fix it they said, and they said they have to put metal bracing on the inside of the camper to hold the schwintek stuff form twisting to much, it should not be doing that, I am now thinking there's a problem that someone is not seeing here, so they did that under warranty and replace the gear assembly again! So I tested it before I left the repair shop and it did not work go figure, then they said they had to make a spacer for the back of the gear rail -top and bottom of the same side--ok tested it seem to do the trick-- happy camper-finally --

Well on another trip **** starts to hit the fan, I am having problems with the same slide--I am pissed and out of warranty----

Fast forward to where I am now---the shop that I am paying for--I told them what I needed to have done and no contact with the Jayco factory--I will be calling the shots--period--now these guys were good and after a long chat with them, we were all on the same page--showed them what it was or was not doing, I want the slide pulled out of the unit, was there when it was pulled brought my 2 long and a short level (before this was done unit was leveled inside garage) And measured by level and found that the slide was level, but the floor of the RV 5th wheel was not, the floor had a high point right in the center under the slide and in the middle of a roller that now was not rolling because it was touching on the floor, and the remaining rollers under the slide were not touching the under side, all-and some were not at all, so most of the heavy slide was trying to go in and out on the center roller, ya that was not working well--nice fast forward to the fix---

Ended up taking out all the factory cheap ass rollers that were rated for 200 pounds and were just a cheap nylon sleeved, and replaced them with 400 pound sealed bearing steel and nylon sleeved rollers much better, routed out the spots were I was going to have them install the rollers and made metal shims to install under Neath them so we could adjust the height of each one on the 5th wheel floor for level, that worked great, also put extra rollers on---also made and had them install metal plates on the bottom of the slide to ride on the rollers, working really good at this point but still notice something, like the its going out and in very good the best ever but? The amp reading after this and I took off the rail spacers and the metal supports everyone added, the Amp reading has dropped to a high of 3-4 amps sliding out that about 60 percent less than were it was, and the amps coming is 2-3 about 70 percent less, major improvement! the shop said they have never seen a Schwintek unit operate that smooth! Nice for a change---

So I get it back to my storage lot and I am there on and off doing some work on it, operating the large 5th wheel slide 14 feet and it every few times of going out , not in-only going out, still very low amperage- it stops for a second the other side continues for a few inches then it , the both sides continue out, then when it hits there limits, the other side catches up the inch or two that it lag behind, and this is always on the side by side refrigerator side, so I my next and last thing I can do is take out the 22 cubic foot frig, get it out of the 5th wheel slide all together, and I have a nice space located between the 5th frame rails and space for a 10 cubic foot frig, that would not be installed in the slide at all reducing the weight of that slide by about 200-300 pounds loaded, and relocating the cabinets to the void were the 22cu frig was.

I am at a point that I believe that 22cu side by side was to heavy for that slide setup, and being on the very end of the slide threw it out of balance which is causing the slide to walk left to right a little to go out, coming in there's no problem, so this is the final straw to try to get the slide to work as it should .

What are anyone's thoughts with this--?

Thks I will try and include some photos

The smaller factory rollors is on the left, and the ball bearing metal sleeved are on the right.

The metal shims 2 different size's to shim level , that also made more space underneath the roller for better clearance

The last picture are of the metal roller plates which all have made a big difference

There was no problems with the small increase in height of the position of the large 14 ft slide, we took a lot of measurements, a lot--no issues at all plenty of space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 20200828_121238[1].jpg
Views: 3
Size: 391.8 KB
ID: 237853 Click image for larger version

Name: 20200828_121306[1].jpg
Views: 2
Size: 482.6 KB
ID: 237854 Click image for larger version

Name: 20200828_121411[1].jpg
Size: 361.3 KB
ID: 237855 Click image for larger version

Name: 20200828_121418[1].jpg
Size: 379.7 KB
ID: 237856 Click image for larger version

Name: 20200828_121743[1].jpg
Size: 308.6 KB
ID: 237857
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
My Floor was out of level, not the slide the floor of the RV where the cheap rollers were installed, remove the slide, removed the cheap factory rollers, 200 pound weight limit each, and installed after market metal and ball bearing rollers that were larger and there weight limit was 400 each, and installed a few extra
Old 08-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Please tell me you didn't buy it from General Rv. Those guys are morons. I've got a 17 Northpoint 375 and, knock on wood, only had a problem with the right read slide. It worked fine for the first year and then started having issues. We got home after a trip and it went out a little funny and then wouldnt go back in. I had the DW on the controls and I was out pushing on it with everything i had to get it to go in. We took it to the our dealer for that and a couple other things and they said it was operating just fine.. I've never had an issue with it since. It does seem to operate a little slower than the others, but...
Since yours has stripped the tracks it sounds like something is out of alignment. I'd be to the point of finding another dealer to take a look at it.
I bought mine from Gillette's RV in East Lansing. I know their service department, like about everyone else, is jammed but worth a try. If you're looking for a repair now you'll probably have to tackle it yourself and good luck getting parts. This COVID nonsense is really slowing things up.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Puddle Pirate;891650]Well I have had this unit for about 3 yrs and I have had the large slide worked on all 3 yrs, sometimes twice in a yr, under warranty---its out of warranty and I had enough.

So I took it to an RV repair shop that would do what I asked, I told them that I was paying for this work, and I do no what you contacting the factory for advice, I was lucky enough to have 2 experienced Mechanics to do this.

Some back story the slide sucks, RV1 in Tampa were I bought it from could not figure how to fix it, the service lady there was dumb has a box of rocks, she said we cannot tell the factory how to fix it, we have to wait for them to tell us how to fix it, even though we know what's wrong-- it has been there now for 2 mths the slide would not go in all the way, it was a brand new unit--

I got fed up with there bull, went in to there place hooked up to it and towed it to Lazydays--I had been working a back channel to do this with Lazy days.

They found many problems with the RV (5th wheel) and took care of it closing all the way, the Factory installed a wrong part underneath the 14 foot slide that stopped it from closing all the way in the back of it. Ok I think its fixed---

We go to the NW, the slide starts to have problems, not opening all the way, its getting stuck, or I have to bring it in and out, the slide is walking--not going out smooth or all at the same time. I am pissed-- I trouble shot it, and the motor that brings the unit in and out has snapped the retaining screw that holds it down into the gear housing has snapped and the motor has spun , no damage at this time to the wiring, I popped the motor up and out , and set it back in and reconnect the wiring harness , and reinstall a new set screw to hold the motor back into the drive gear housing, ok repair done its working sort-a.

Continue--with our 5 mth trip, various stops, and the slide is having a hard time, and for the life of me, cannot find a problem.

Get to Quebec , the slide stops working, drive motor snaps the retaining screw and pops the drive motor up and out of the gear and spins in place and rips the wiring harness apart , I am pissed and screwed at this point-could not find the problem-none. So I pop the other drive motor out, push in the slide by my self, go to a local hardware store get some 2x4s and a hand saw and build a brace to hold the slide in place while we travel to Bangor Maine 300 miles away, yes there was no one around us that had the time or parts on hand to work on it-

So get to our spot and the campground (Cold River) was very nice to us, told them what was going on, and they bent over backwards for us to stay until we could get it repaired. We was given a nice spot for the stay, and I pushed the 14 ft slide with a residential side by side refrigerator out, and started to make phone calls.

So I contacted the local dealer that carries this unit, and his answer was to take it back to were you bought it to have warranty work done on it, I explained to them nicely that that was 1800 away--- are you kidding me (ok here's the unit--321RST Jayco).

So some more phone calls, found an independent repair facility that would handle it, in Orrington Maine. Spent the next week and a half heavy on the phone with Jayco to get things shipped and approve the repairs, that shop said the both sides of the slide would have to have the Schwintek assembly's fully replaced, other warranty stuff was being taken care of also -

They, and I was helping, to learn more about this problem pulled off the assembly's, and parts were falling off--gear rails were chewed up, guide wheels feel-apart and so on--I know you get the picture. Thinking the new units were going to fix the problem, I was starting to relax, new units installed other warranty work done, and by the way-- I have electrical meters installed to monitor the voltage and amps and so on, and started to pay attention to this while operating the large slide--AKA the problem slide, my Amp readings were avg about 8 amps ish, that's high for the small wires that feed those 2, 500:1 drive motors, so things fixed we start heading out of the cold going home , we stopped a few times things seemed ok but I could sense something wasn't right, in LakeCity SC, it started to have problems again. Ship forward to getting home, found a place that could fix it they said, and they said they have to put metal bracing on the inside of the camper to hold the schwintek stuff form twisting to much, it should not be doing that, I am now thinking there's a problem that someone is not seeing here, so they did that under warranty and replace the gear assembly again! So I tested it before I left the repair shop and it did not work go figure, then they said they had to make a spacer for the back of the gear rail -top and bottom of the same side--ok tested it seem to do the trick-- happy camper-finally --

Well on another trip **** starts to hit the fan, I am having problems with the same slide--I am pissed and out of warranty----

Fast forward to where I am now---the shop that I am paying for--I told them what I needed to have done and no contact with the Jayco factory--I will be calling the shots--period--now these guys were good and after a long chat with them, we were all on the same page--showed them what it was or was not doing, I want the slide pulled out of the unit, was there when it was pulled brought my 2 long and a short level (before this was done unit was leveled inside garage) And measured by level and found that the slide was level, but the floor of the RV 5th wheel was not, the floor had a high point right in the center under the slide and in the middle of a roller that now was not rolling because it was touching on the floor, and the remaining rollers under the slide were not touching the under side, all-and some were not at all, so most of the heavy slide was trying to go in and out on the center roller, ya that was not working well--nice fast forward to the fix---

Ended up taking out all the factory cheap ass rollers that were rated for 200 pounds and were just a cheap nylon sleeved, and replaced them with 400 pound sealed bearing steel and nylon sleeved rollers much better, routed out the spots were I was going to have them install the rollers and made metal shims to install under Neath them so we could adjust the height of each one on the 5th wheel floor for level, that worked great, also put extra rollers on---also made and had them install metal plates on the bottom of the slide to ride on the rollers, working really good at this point but still notice something, like the its going out and in very good the best ever but? The amp reading after this and I took off the rail spacers and the metal supports everyone added, the Amp reading has dropped to a high of 3-4 amps sliding out , that's about 60 percent less than were it was, and the amps coming is 2-3 about 70 percent less, major improvement! the shop said they have never seen a Schwintek unit operate that smooth! Nice for a change---

So I get it back to my storage lot and I am there on and off doing some work on it, operating the large 5th wheel slide 14 feet and it every few times of going out , not in-only going out, still very low amperage- it stops for a second the other side continues for a few inches then it , the both sides continue out, then when it hits there limits, the other side catches up the inch or two that it lag behind, and this is always on the side by side refrigerator side, so I my next and last thing I can do is take out the 22 cubic foot fridge, get it out of the 5th wheel slide all together, and I have a nice space located between the 5th frame rails and space for a 10 cubic foot fridge, that would not be installed in the slide at all reducing the weight of that slide by about 200-300 pounds loaded, and relocating the cabinets to the void were the 22cu fridge was.

I am at a point that I believe that 22cu side by side was to heavy for that slide setup, and being on the very end of the slide threw it out of balance which is causing the slide to walk left to right a little to go out, coming in there's no problem, so this is the final straw to try to get the slide to work as it should .

LATE -NOTE: Forgot to mention we also found after the slide was pulled off the unit, the floor bolts were all lose under the slide that held the floor to the frame, replaced those with grade 9 bolts and had to cut and re thread for the install, in the area under the slide on the floor , the floor was loose by 5/16 of an inch unreal--nice work there Jayco--

What are anyone's thoughts with this--?

Thks I will try and include some photos

The smaller factory rollers is on the left, and the ball bearing metal sleeved are on the right.

The metal shims 2 different size's to shim level , that also made more space underneath the roller for better clearance

Next to last photo, is the grade 9 bolt comparison to the stock that came with it.

The last picture are of the metal roller plates which all have made a big difference

There was no problems with the small increase in height of the position of the large 14 ft slide, we took a lot of measurements, a lot--no issues at all plenty of space,.
Attached Thumbnails
20200828_121238[1].jpg   20200828_121411[1].jpg   20200828_121306[1].jpg   20200828_121539[1].jpg   20200828_121743[1].jpg  

Old 08-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

Here's a picture of the inside of my rig, you can see the large fridge, going to remove that unit, and install a 10 cu ft unit, it will go into the void that you see just beyond the big frig, there's a small counter top there, with some cabinets under the counter top,(right were the metal coffee sign is in the back ground) it is the right size-perfect for the 10 cu ft unit--it will match stainless steel with black trim, there's just the 2 of us.

The second set of photos show the floor out of level, in one location, when the laid the floor there must of been a weld seem that was raised, we opened up the belly and looked but could not find any problems, looked for cracks in the frame and so on, nothing--also I might note, also replaced all the roller bolts with grade 9.

Next to the last photo, is a better look at the 10cu ft fridge location just to the left of the cabinet doors--10cu ft fits in there perfect--looking to remove about 250-300 pounds of weight off the slide has to make an improvement.

And putting the 10 cu ft frig, in the hole there, should make it ride a hole lot better on the rv frame rail, instead of in a slide, not to mention when of if the 10cu ft frig needs to be replaced, it would be very easy then.

The last photo, is a roller right in the middle of the slide, compressed down and grounded hard on the floor not working, could not force a metal ruler under it, the slide was trying to operate on this one roller.
Attached Thumbnails
20190603_124841.jpg   20191020_162519.jpg   20191020_162721.jpg   20190608_104312.jpg   20191015_131145.jpg  

Old 08-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #9

In the first photo here you can see the roller damage to the under side of the slide.

The second photos is pulling the slide out off the unit, its really not that bad to do, its just work---but a lot of RV shops, just want to do bolt on quick replacements of parts---

Now you want to talk electrical that's another hole snake pit---I redid 75% of the units electrical---it was a mess, bad grounds , bad crimps lugs and so on, modified a lot and installed solar. last couple of photos

NOTE: the system flipped a couple of the photos' not me--LOL
Attached Thumbnails
20191015_130758.jpg   20191109_093559.jpg   20191109_093753.jpg   20191011_142819.jpg   20190822_161125.jpg  

Old 08-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #10

In the first picture here is the new rollers installed, buy installing them with the shims I made , it raised them, and buy being a little larger-I can in the field replace them if needed, I can get a wrench in there and socket , take one out if need be, and replace on the road---and yes I have spares now---

In the second picture here, you can see the total height difference of the sweeper gasket inside the 5th wheel, this shows how much the slide was lifted after the install, on the new rollers----not bad, we had plenty of room on top left to actual go bigger if we had to---no issues at all---

Thrid set of photos wiring--from factory nice---replaced that stuff

Last photo is the factory warning size on the left, and on the right what i replaced it with.

NOTE: THE SYSTEM LOADED ONE OF THE PICTURES SIDE WAYS AGAIN--NOT ME---LOL
Attached Thumbnails
20200123_103105.jpg   20200202_154834.jpg   20190812_120204.jpg   20190812_120913.jpg   20190822_133929.jpg  

Old 08-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #11

Puddle Pirate - I admire your perseverance and the work you’ve done to your 5’er. I got a chuckle out of your bio about retiring and traveling for pleasure. After you are finished with all your mods, though, I am quite sure you will have a pleasurable travel experience. Keep us posted. Oh, and thanks for your service.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #12

Puddle Pirate. Thanks for such an in depth look at the problem and your resolution. Great photo detail. Your power draw being so much lower for the drive motors would indicate smooth and almost effortless slide motion. You've doubled the roller capacity.

We have a similar slide configuration and I do worry every time we use it. Only difference is ours has the Slim Rack system. I'll have a look at the rollers in ours to see if they're the same as you had before the upgrade.

Do you have some idea as to the total weight of the slide as equipped?

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Puddle Pirate - I admire your perseverance and the work you’ve done to your 5’er. I got a chuckle out of your bio about retiring and traveling for pleasure. After you are finished with all your mods, though, I am quite sure you will have a pleasurable travel experience. Keep us posted. Oh, and thanks for your service.
Well thks--Ya I Know people that know me say i will die with a wrench in my hand--LOL

This 5th we bought new, and ordered it loaded up, and snice the beginning have had that slide problem--but my moto is if a Human built it, I can fix it

Moving and reducing the size of the fridge should do the trick, but i still have a few tricks up my sleeve, the next thing would be taking the 2 rail system off, and ordering the tri rail system from Schwintek system have already been in contact with Lippert and i can do it, the last option is to install a ram system which most likely be HYD- under Neath the slide to frame system - its a challenge, i have been to Lazydays and talked to the people that do that conversion and its doable . But I have learned a lot about this slide system, and also why Mechanic's hate to work on them. And the electrical system on the RV's . thks for the reply-- Stay tuned---
Attached Thumbnails
20191010_202617.jpg  
Old 08-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
Puddle Pirate. Thanks for such an in depth look at the problem and your resolution. Great photo detail. Your power draw being so much lower for the drive motors would indicate smooth and almost effortless slide motion. You've doubled the roller capacity.

We have a similar slide configuration and I do worry every time we use it. Only difference is ours has the Slim Rack system. I'll have a look at the rollers in ours to see if they're the same as you had before the upgrade.

Do you have some idea as to the total weight of the slide as equipped?
From what I have been told, it is about 1100 total with the fridge in it, the fridge with food, ice etc, loaded. So I figure by removing it, I should be able to trim at least 200-250 pounds at least.

I have included a picture of the slim rack system, to confirm thats what you have.

I had a camper park next to us in LakeCity SC, last yr with a beautiful painted Jayco 5th wheel, Pinnacle, and started talking to the owner, and looked at the there unit, and notice the slide gear rail system was different, which I could swap out to, it make's sense, another option I have-easy swap, much more flexible , and noticed all of the Screw head-bolt screw's that held his H bar rail system in on his 5th wheel slide were over torqued and the heads that held his slide in were all broken, but it looked ok because the heads were still in place-it looked fine as it should, until you put your hands on them , when you put your fingers on them you could pick them off with finger tips, everyone of them had snapped, and was being held in place only by the adhesive seal tape that was behind it, he traveled from Cal to SC --Holly-****,---I was working on mine that yr, we were in one spot for the summer up in Maine, so I had a bunch of self tappers stainless steel bolts and gave him the tools so he could fix it, because there was no dealer or repair shop for 100 miles or more, he ended up replacing every on of the screw bolts on both sides of his slide, needless to say he was not a happy-camper at all, those screw bolts were all snapped in place, so he had to make new holes with the self tappers, gave phone numbers, and showed him how to document what happened and who to contact at Jayco----so check your screw bolts on your rail system for your slides to make sure those screw bolts are really secure, and not just looking like they are secure.

Ok enough there, next--power draw-- ya I agree with ya, that power draw in my book is really low---Going out with the slide--its about 4 amps ( it has been as high as 9amps - before I started to fix the issue) is what the motors are drawing now-2 amps a piece not bad, when the heavy slide gets about half way over the rollers, the power drops down to about 3 amps kinda like when you get to the top of the hill on a bike and start coasting down hill, hole lot less power need--you know what I mean-but at the start of putting the slide out is where I have the issue of the slide slowing down, or hanging up for a second or 2, and the left side passing it by an inch or 2 ( what I call walking ) then the slide catch's up when it amps out -stops in the fully extended position-so ---

So the closing of the slide--the amp usage there starts at 3 amps coming in no hang ups or slow downs there at all, then drops down to 1.8 to 2 amps as it comes in when it reaches that half way point-I believe the weight of that fridge is putting a weighted twist on the slide, so coming in is not a big issue, ( we are going down hill coming in ) its the going out to overcome the slight twisted pressure on the slide( and going up hill so to speak ) that now is what it has to overcome which in my case increase's the amp draw going out and cause's the slight delay in the left right alinement issue that I have experience, , the amp reading before was around 8 amps before coming in and as low as 6 amps-so you can see a big drop in power need at this point.

Rollers, for the life of me the production cost of the difference of the rollers I put in is only going to be maybe 5-10 bucks extra per roller, the labor would almost the same shimming it up level, the rolling resistance is cut down to near 0 with the bearing set up, and because you increase the height a little, I can get in there with a ratchet and a socket and a wrench and replace a roller, before you were screwed the way its set up from the factory--also the stock roller from the factory is very cheap, the ones I installed are very heavy duty and sealed bearings--I have 3 spare rollers just incase but do not expect to need them--and I put in 8 new ones and pulled out 7 stock ones, so I went from 1400 capacity to 3200 ya over kill is good here LOL

The last thing that will make a difference is the plates I installed under the slide on top of the rollers, the base of the slide is not plywood, it is chipboard, the plates are aluminum air-craft quality harder aluminum , of course it helps to spread the weight load of the slide on the rollers, and prevents a roller mal-function from happening such as digging into the base of the chipboard causing a troth for the roller to set in, causing more resistance when trying to extend or retract depending at which end it is dug into of opening or closing.

Note: If you look close or open up the first picture, you can see the self tappers, that the owner next to me had to install to keep his slide attached.
Attached Thumbnails
20191012_172003.jpg   20200828_121743[1].jpg  
Old 08-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #15

Thanks again Puddle Pirate. That is the slide mechanism we have on the large slide-out. I'll be inspecting the outside bolts along the vertical panels in the photo and rollers when we're back at the trailer. Jayco could certainly learn from you. You certainly now have the smoothest slide in the Jayco world.

This is a link to Lippert's SlimRack® Slide-out Room Slide Rating Chart:

https://support.lci1.com/s-019-slimr...specifications

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Old 08-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks again Puddle Pirate. That is the slide mechanism we have on the large slide-out. I'll be inspecting the outside bolts along the vertical panels in the photo and rollers when we're back at the trailer. Jayco could certainly learn from you. You certainly now have the smoothest slide in the Jayco world.

This is a link to Lippert's SlimRack® Slide-out Room Slide Rating Chart:

https://support.lci1.com/s-019-slimr...specifications
We shall see---Lol
Old 08-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #17

Puddle Pirate. Maybe you should open shop upgrading Schwintek and Slim Rack slides. Before you do, can You do ours before it gets too busy?

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Old 08-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Puddle Pirate. Maybe you should open shop upgrading Schwintek and Slim Rack slides. Before you do, can You do ours before it gets too busy?
I can tell ya, I have learned a lot about the system--and still learning ---I now if i just did some local advertising, Craigslist - Facebook-Market place I would be to busy quickly--no-one likes working on them
Old 08-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate View Post
I can tell ya, I have learned a lot about the system--and still learning ---I now if i just did some local advertising, Craigslist - Facebook-Market place I would be to busy quickly--no-one likes working on them

Ok here's another fix to a Schwintek slide problem, in these 2 photos, is something that repair shops have been doing for yrs, they make a spacer that is about 1/8 th of an inch thick, (this material is just black hard plastic) and the length of the gear rail, top or bottom, the one in the picture is the top, the bottom would of course not have the bottom set of hole's drilled, just the top--this fits in-between the rail and the slide , the intent of this is to tighten up the bottom or the top rail-if there is to much space , remember that it can or will effect the other side, so I would recommend to do one at a time, and test the operation of the slide before putting another on---of course for safety support the slide in the out position to prevent it from moving on ya, it is as simple as a car jack and a piece of 4x4 to the bottom of the slide---its not intended to lift the slide but just to keep it safe and steady, and that just takes a little bit of time to do it -- after putting on new the new roller's etc, I took off all of mine, they all were just treating the symptom and not fixing the problem---which is what a lot of shops do. Now that I fixed the problem, I have little if any symptom so I do not need them. But of course like all guys with a tool box, will just hang onto them just incase ---LOL
Attached Thumbnails
20200831_173506[1].jpg   20200831_173512[1].jpg  
Old 09-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #20

We have a 2018 Jayco Eagle 321rsts 5th wheel. Our schwintek slide had minor problem from day one. One week before warranty ran out, we were told all the mechanisms were broken. The slide was built crooked at the factory. The wheels were running on the tracks instead of on the floor.
You might have someone check the measurements of the slide and make sure it is sitting square. Jayco is doing the work under warranty otherwise it would have been very costly to fix.
CoraS is offline   Reply With Quote