Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

Screen Rooms

We have been thinking about a screen room for the travel trailer. I have watched videos on how to set them up and how long it should take. I could not find another thread covering them. Please direct me if there is a thread to read. My questions are: Are they worth the money? Are they worth setting up over a weekend? What is the actual time it takes to set them up? What if the wind comes up? How well do they really keep out bugs? Would it be legal to keep my dog inside without a tie out?

Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_s...76f2493e1724af
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #2

I see a few of them at Ft. Stevens State Park and they do get used.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #3

Absolutely used ours for the PU we had. Even with having to install the several snap fittings it was well worth it. An OEM optioned product is tailor made. It wasn't a tough set up, half hour more maybe. Since walls are hanging from awning that tends to stabilize from wind, anchored down and all.
For an aftermarket, see what your dealer suggests or maybe displays for starters.
Dogs could make the screen mesh a mess, and finding their way under a wall wouldn't be too tough, or the bottom edge along the trailer. Bugs aren't 100% gone but you are protected a lot. Camping and bugs go hand in hand. Storage of the gear is another aspect. You might have poles and will certainly have folded walls. Duffle bag size might hold it all.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Absolutely used ours for the PU we had. Even with having to install the several snap fittings it was well worth it. An OEM optioned product is tailor made. It wasn't a tough set up, half hour more maybe. Since walls are hanging from awning that tends to stabilize from wind, anchored down and all.
For an aftermarket, see what your dealer suggests or maybe displays for starters.
Dogs could make the screen mesh a mess, and finding their way under a wall wouldn't be too tough, or the bottom edge along the trailer. Bugs aren't 100% gone but you are protected a lot. Camping and bugs go hand in hand. Storage of the gear is another aspect. You might have poles and will certainly have folded walls. Duffle bag size might hold it all.
Great info thanks. I looked at these as well an set up/break down was my biggest concern
Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 AM   #5

I used one of the add a room ( when window panels down mostly screen) for years that attached to the awning roller, with a snap less kit to hold the fabric sides to the unit. We also had a optional real screen door that attached to roller tube. My neighbor and I actually made it through a storm 60mph winds with no problem. I don't know if I would attempt it today with these newer awnings systems even though I've seen it in pictures. Your link only took me to a amazon page not showing what one your looking at. I guess if your healthy and mobile, setting up and tearing one down wouldn't be much of an issue. For us we're past that point. Klamath Falls (Kingsley Field), my old stomping grounds..

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

If I had the money, I would order the Clam Pavillion. It doesn't attach to the trailer itself but that could be a benefit in some circumstances. It's big, good quality, and easy to set up and take down. You could easily just set it out beside the trailer similar to an attached room. It even comes with rain flaps attached. It is expensive though.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
I used one of the add a room ( when window panels down mostly screen) for years that attached to the awning roller, with a snap less kit to hold the fabric sides to the unit. We also had a optional real screen door that attached to roller tube. My neighbor and I actually made it through a storm 60mph winds with no problem. I don't know if I would attempt it today with these newer awnings systems even though I've seen it in pictures. Your link only took me to a amazon page not showing what one your looking at. I guess if your healthy and mobile, setting up and tearing one down wouldn't be much of an issue. For us we're past that point. Klamath Falls (Kingsley Field), my old stomping grounds..
If you were in the National Guard or Air Force Thank you for your service. We are the home of the 173rd fighter wing. The sound of freedom flys over often. I am in good enough shape to put it up. We haven't made any choices yet and I have not talked to the wife except in passing. Lots of research to do. Thanks for the info. We also have a daughter that works in White Planes NY.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

Eureka makes several different stand alone screen rooms, the one we have is called Northern Breeze. It's very functional. We also added the floor to ours. It takes about 15 minutes to set up. All 4 sides roll up or down. 12 x 12 plenty of room to spread out your things and move around .

Cheers!
Adkins family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #9

We have the Clam and it is great. only problem when the wind picks up sometimes the top collapses and you have to get inside and push the top back up. But besides that it works great. Ours cost $365.00 about 3 years ago.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
If you were in the National Guard or Air Force Thank you for your service. We are the home of the 173rd fighter wing. The sound of freedom flys over often. I am in good enough shape to put it up. We haven't made any choices yet and I have not talked to the wife except in passing. Lots of research to do. Thanks for the info. We also have a daughter that works in White Planes NY.
Yes, it was AF when we left in 1971, thought it was closed and research today though. Miss the weather there, it was perfect back then. Carefree used to have the best room, it was called the LTD. The heaviest material and it came in tan or white. But the tan might of been phased out. Then there was a snapless kit for about 120.00, but you still need to put a few brackets on the unit. Also a optional screen door but they might of stopped making those as few had them, they were close to 400.00 dollars. If you are really interested maybe call carefree see what they currently offer today when you research.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

I've used LL Bean's version for years - no problems w/ it and I'd buy it again.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

I once saw a few years back a picture of someones "Inflatable" screen room...it was attached to a motor home, but looked REALLY neat. I have Googled my heart out trying to locate it, but cannot even find a picture of one now. That would be the quickest setup I can think of if you carry a small air compressor like I do....If I ever run across a pic, or link I will gladly throw it up unless someone else knows what I am referring to and has info.

EDIT-> This is a link to one LIKE what I mention, but not the same one I saw.
https://gentletent.com/shop/gt-home-van/?v=7516fd43adaa
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote