Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #1

Sealing floor above tires

Have any of y'all ever used Flex Seal or similar product to seal the floor directly over the tires? There is currently just the black wrap there now with staples and other perforations that would make me suspect an eventual rot problem. Interested in your thoughts, suggestions and previous experience. Thanks.
EricGlamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #2

I have some aluminum sheet metal there. Helps with flying debris too
Old 01-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGlamper View Post
Have any of y'all ever used Flex Seal or similar product to seal the floor directly over the tires? There is currently just the black wrap there now with staples and other perforations that would make me suspect an eventual rot problem. Interested in your thoughts, suggestions and previous experience. Thanks.
I certainly have not done it. I have looked at that material many times and thought; that should have been truck bed liner.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

Would you suggest NOT to use it?
Old 01-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
Site Team

I think the stuff that's there if over plywood would be ok if it's not cut or torn. I have had a blown tire beat the crap out of mine but it did not tear. I have some thin metal over mine but have some thicker material that I plan to attach next time the tires come off for something else.

I was traveling with a buddy who had a blowout with nothing but the plastic covering and the bad tire grabbed some wires and ripped them out of the wall. It was a mess to repair.

Note: Not a Jayco product.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

I believe you would need to remove the current "waterproofing". Line-X goes on at 250-350 degrees, and adds a little weight (50-70 lbs for an entire truck bed). You would have to talk to an actual installer to verify suitability for wheel wells.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #7

On my 15 silverado I had the bed coated in Line X. Since it's a dually, the front wheel wells come with a liner but the rears do not. SRW trucks do have liners. Anyway, I had the Line X dealer spray my dually wheel wells with it. He did an awesome job and said it is warrantied for life, just like the bed. AND I got it in writing. Its held up extremely well, and cleans up very easily.
The trick is the surface has to be prepped correctly. The surface needs to be porous for the product to bite in. So the truck bed is all scratched up with like sandpaper or Scotchbrite.
As far as it sticking to wood, I'd ask a Line X dealer. I would imagine if the wood surface was roughed up a bit and throughly cleaned, I wouldnt see why not. Even if the dealer wouldnt warranty it, I'd have them give it a whirl on one slide and see what happens.
I can say for 100% sure, if the surface isn't rough it wont stick. My Line X guy assured me of that and he was correct. They covered my brand new truck and still got a little overspray on the back of the cab. ALL, and I say ALL of the little bit of overspray that was on the cab came right off very easily. Some unpicked off with my fingernail and the rest came off with a few swipes of a clay bar and it was a good week or more after they did it.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
On my 15 silverado I had the bed coated in Line X. Since it's a dually, the front wheel wells come with a liner but the rears do not. SRW trucks do have liners. Anyway, I had the Line X dealer spray my dually wheel wells with it. He did an awesome job and said it is warrantied for life, just like the bed. AND I got it in writing. Its held up extremely well, and cleans up very easily.
The trick is the surface has to be prepped correctly. The surface needs to be porous for the product to bite in. So the truck bed is all scratched up with like sandpaper or Scotchbrite.
As far as it sticking to wood, I'd ask a Line X dealer. I would imagine if the wood surface was roughed up a bit and throughly cleaned, I wouldnt see why not. Even if the dealer wouldnt warranty it, I'd have them give it a whirl on one slide and see what happens.
I can say for 100% sure, if the surface isn't rough it wont stick. My Line X guy assured me of that and he was correct. They covered my brand new truck and still got a little overspray on the back of the cab. ALL, and I say ALL of the little bit of overspray that was on the cab came right off very easily. Some unpicked off with my fingernail and the rest came off with a few swipes of a clay bar and it was a good week or more after they did it.
I got the liner in my truck. I was actually referring to the camper. Just looks "leakable" over the tires with all the spray. We have a North Point 379DBFS that won't fit into the Line'X shop so I was pondering the Flex seal.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I think the stuff that's there if over plywood would be ok if it's not cut or torn. I have had a blown tire beat the crap out of mine but it did not tear. I have some thin metal over mine but have some thicker material that I plan to attach next time the tires come off for something else.

I was traveling with a buddy who had a blowout with nothing but the plastic covering and the bad tire grabbed some wires and ripped them out of the wall. It was a mess to repair.

Note: Not a Jayco product.
The wrap does seem pretty tough. Just concerned over time moisture getting through the staples and other various penetrations. The only wires I have are the harnesses going to the slide motors. I'd definitely hate to have a blowout regardless though. So far the GoodYear Endurances have performed well considering the weight, south Georgia heat and crappy roads.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGlamper View Post
I got the liner in my truck. I was actually referring to the camper. Just looks "leakable" over the tires with all the spray. We have a North Point 379DBFS that won't fit into the Line'X shop so I was pondering the Flex seal.
Yeah, sorry, my long winded reply didnt quite get my point(s) out there.
One point, as far as being used in a wheel well and how well it would work. I've got it lining the dually wells of my truck and its holding up extremely well. So it should hold up well on a trailer.
Second, the trucks are painted metal that's scuffed up. The trailer is gonna be wood under that black material, so how well it would adhere to the wood vs being on scuffed metal is the question. But I'd have them give it a whirl. Worst case is it peels off and you're back to square one with one idea down the flusher. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #11

I bought a couple cans of spray on undercoating, for an old car project. I have not used them yet, so I do not know how well it works.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08881-Unde...a-384008867511

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I bought a couple cans of spray on undercoating, for an old car project. I have not used them yet, so I do not know how well it works.
That is an option, but I would definitely lean towards bed liner, vs undercoating.
The DIY version is U-Pol Raptor. It comes with the sprayer. A friend did his truck bed and bumpers. I would hazard a guess that most people think it was professionally done. It looks like it, even up close.

https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Raptor-...&tag=cb-osp-20