Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #1

Seasonal site - Slides in or out?

I've been getting conflicting advice on this. With our trailer staying at a seasonal site all summer is it best to bring the slides in at the end of every weekend or just leave them out all summer?

If we do leave them out I've also got conflicting advice on whether or not to use slide supports.

I'd love to hear from the seasonal site campers on this. Thanks in advance.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #2

I asked before to and am still curious as to what other people do, but I was told to slide them in due to over time the slide could settle due to gravity and it being so heavy. If this happens you could have problems sliding it in and out, same goes with the slide supports, if you use them and the ground shifts then you can also run into slide troubles. So I think I am just going with our slide them in every time I leave.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #3

Slides are built to withstand being in or out, without damage. However, it is NOT a good idea to use exterior slide supports, for two reasons.
One, if the trailer settles, upward pressure is exerted on the slide by the supports, and damage is likely. Two, the slides do not need supports - they are designed to move up and down as they deploy or retract, and the trailer structure will support them without any external help. The only reason I would retract them when not in use is to eliminate wear and tear on slide topper awnings, which could get damaged by high winds when you're not there to pull them in. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

I am not a seasonal, but we have a few friends that are. They all leave their slides out all summer, and pull them in for the winter. All of them add additional stabilizers under the TT, and add stabilizers under the slide.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #5

We put ours in before we leave, I had a look on the top of the slide and they did a crappy job sealing the slide so as far as i'm concerned it's not worth it if you have a leak, now my neighbor at the campground never put his slide in once all year, when they went to winterize it the slide wouldn't come in, if they had tried to put the slide in earlier there wouldn't have been a surprise come fall
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

Seasonal site - Slides in or out?

I leave mine out all summer. Every once in awhile when i think about it i will run the slide out in then back out just to keep everything working. Over the winter i pull them in when i leave. Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

Been at seasonal site for 7+ years. Based on my experience:

- Slide OUT from May to Sept (during summer camping months).
- Slide IN from Sept to May (during winter storage months).
- When slides out, NO slide supports.
- Being seasonal site, install 4 x 6-ton (or 12 ton if high chassis) axle stands down RV/TT's frame rails. Thus, providing distributed weight support.
- Being season site, I park RV/TT's tires on wide 2x12 boards. This reduces tires from being pushed into the soft mud (especially during wet season).

If seasonal site camping is your passion (like in my family), recommend building / installing a custom "hard cover" for over the slide. This hard cover is on hinges with undersized pivot pin (to allow natural shifting movement) and its outer side is supported via adjustable telescopic steel poles. Thus, NO weight on the slide. And, one can apply minor adjustments as RV/TT shifts around (from natural monthly movements). This hard cover is sloped and provides great weather protection for slide's flat roof top. Especially during those bad thunderstorms.

Before: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_0353.jpg

After:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/IMG_0099.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/IMG_0096.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ideCover-3.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/CoverTop.jpg

For store bought, surf: http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merc...t_Code=PSOC836

This works for my family....
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

We left the slide out on our old trailer without issues, but tinlizzie23 made a point that I didn't even think of. The new trailer has three slides and slide awnings on all of them.

I would hate to leave the slides out and have a wind storm come through during the week when we aren't at the park and do damage.

It's a dilemma for me because once the trailer is set up and blocked that's where it's staying, even through the winter. Once we have it set up as home-like as we want I'm wondering how much we have to move things around to bring the slides in.

Keep the experiences coming please, I want to hear as much good and bad as possible so I can make an informed decision. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind that the slide roof structure is far less robust than the main roof structure of the TT, and this should be considered if the TT is unoccupied for lengths of time during the seasonal site use. A branch, hail, etc., hitting the main roof structure during a nasty storm may not be an issue, but could be an issue with the slide roof.

If you do elect to leave the slide(s) open throughout the season, being a mechanical device operating them once in awhile wouldn't hurt......, and since the seals will be exposed to the elements for longer periods of time one may want to treat them (UV protectant) more often.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

My slides are only in when moving, otherwise they are out. We do not use a seasonal site but our camper is plugged in and operational when at home between camping trips winter and summer. The exception would be snow if we didn't have the large open front barn its backed into.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

Have you checked your trailer's owner's manual to see if it addresses your question? Best source of info it would seem, or a call to Jayco customer service would provide the answer..........................
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

The owner's manual is not model specific for some reason. It's a general "catch all" of common information unfortunately.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

Interesting question that I hadn't thought about. We signed up for a seasonal site at Cultus Lake, BC for next summer. Must people there seem to leave their slides out all summer but I'm not sure. The load over time could cause a problem and in my case the X213 has an exceptionally long slide (comes out about 6ft).

Glad Rolling Thunder posted this and I think I'll bring my in when I head home on the Mondays.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #14

My previous Camper was a Jayco Designer 2003. In the 10.5 years of camping and over 1300 nights spent in it. The only time the slides were in was when we were towing it. We always had seasonal sites, and for winter towed it home and parked it in our 30 by 40ft shed with cment floor. Slides were out all winter long. it was never a problem, nothing sagged and no wind damage or leaks.
In the end it's up to you!
Vietnam Vet USMC
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgerr View Post
My previous Camper was a Jayco Designer 2003. In the 10.5 years of camping and over 1300 nights spent in it. The only time the slides were in was when we were towing it. We always had seasonal sites, and for winter towed it home and parked it in our 30 by 40ft shed with cment floor. Slides were out all winter long. it was never a problem, nothing sagged and no wind damage or leaks.
In the end it's up to you!
Yep thats what we do. The slides move so you can tow it is how we always looked at it.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote