Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Second ac 101

Yesterday, Saturday 5-3-2013, I completed the installation of a second rooftop AC unit in my fifth wheel. Kitty and I discovered last July while camping with the grandkids in eastern Oklahoma the one 15,000 BTU unit didn’t quite do an adequate job. As Kitty stated, the unit we had did not have enough BTU’s to cool a BUT the size of a TUB!!!

Earlier this year, I contacted the RV dealership for an estimate of the cost of having the dealer install the second unit. Their estimate was $2500. An amount I saw as being high. However, I do understand anything is not cheap anymore. Anyway, I begin to do some homework on the project. Doing internet searches and reading varies forums before starting the project.

Some of you may not agree with the way I installed the unit, and that is okay. Do yours the way you feel comfortable. The point I do wish to convey is: This stuff is not brain surgery. Because it is on an RV doesn’t make the process much different at that if it were on your house. So DON’T BE INTIMADATED.

Initially I told myself; “If I can’t snake the electrical wire through the ceiling and down the wall and out the RV, I may as well forget the DIY project and pay the dealer the $2500.”

Having some 12-2 /ground wire left over from another project, a couple weeks ago I removed the inside vent cover in the location I planed to install the AC unit. I proceeded to snake the wire into the ceiling then down the front cap then back through a cabinet then into one of the front storage compartments on the front of the RV. Attached is a pic.

After completing that task, I knew the project was doable DIY. I then ordered a 13,500 Coleman AC unit. (No heat) I received the AC unit last Monday, April 29th.

Yesterday morning, I proceeded to the top on the RV, placed some old blankets over the top and front cap to protect the RV while doing the necessary work. I then started the process of removing the roof top vent. Shortly it was off leaving the left over caulking. I then started the task of clean that stuff off. (Which turned out the be the most difficult task of the entire project.) Utilizing Kitty’s hair dryer to heat the stuff and a putty knife the job was completed.

Now, the hole was ready to be filled with the AC unit. I un-crated the unit and had Kitty place it on the roof of the fiver. Once it was up there, I carefully centered in over the opening and moved from the roof to the inside. Once there, I opened the ceiling unit placed the mounting bracket in place, ran the long bolts into the rooftop unit and proceeded to tighten them. Coleman places “tabs” on the sealing gasket to let the installer know when the bolts are tightened to the proper degree.

Now the only thing left is the electrical hook up. Now as I stated earlier, you may not agree with this method, and that is okay. I chose not the integrate this unit into the existing RV’s electrical system. The second AC unit is a complete electrical circuit of its own. Meaning the RV connects to the campsite electrical pedestal as usual. The second AC unit is powered on a separate electrical cable plugged into the 20amp service on the pedestal. (Yes, I understand that if the campground pedestal does not have a 20amp service in addition to the 30 service on the pedestal, I will not be able to utilize the second AC unit. However, I don’t recall being at a campground that did not have one)

Now, I did not want to rely solely on the campground pedestal breaker so I installed a residential breaker box with a 20am breaker inline between the AC unit and the electrical source cable attachment. (At this point I need to interject. Electrical code mandates that all exterior electrical receptacles be “ground fault” protected. Having said that, all 20amp electrical plugs on the campground pedestal should have a “ground fault circuit breaker”. I’m sure there are those older ones that do not. I tell you this because, if you choose to install a breaker box as I did, you have to wire it differently from that of a residential house where the power source is not passing through a GFCI. The basic difference is. You can’t attach the “ground” wire( bare copper) to the neutral buss of the breaker box.) In retrospect, an inline 20amp power strip would serve the same purpose.

Once the electrical was complete, I turned the unit on and IT WORKED!

Total cost? $648 dollars and change.

Hope this has been helpful.

I’m sorry. I don’t know how it incorporate my pictures with my text. Here is a list of the pictures attached.

Picture 1---shows the inside with the vent cover removed and the elect wire in ceiling

Picture 2---shows the wire passing thru the floor behind drawers in the cabinets

Picture 3---shows the wire exiting below the floor

Picture 4---shows rooftop vent cover

Picture 5---shows rooftop vent with cover removed

Picture 6---shows hole with vent removed.

Picture 7---shows hole after cleaning

Picture 8--- shows AC unit in place over hole

Picture 9--- inside view of AC unit centered over hole

Picture 10—Mounting bolts in place (note yellow tabs)
Picture 11---Ceiling unit installed (less filter cover)

Picture 12--- Breaker box installed in storage compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
ac unit 015.jpg   ac unit 004.jpg   ac unit 005.jpg   ac unit 006.jpg   ac unit 007.jpg  

ac unit 008.jpg   ac unit 009.jpg   ac unit 010.jpg   ac unit 011.jpg   ac unit 012.jpg  

Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Beautiful install text and like the pictures, too. Would probably use this method if we decide to install a second A/C.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

Second ac 101

Looks like you did a great job and saved a bunch of money!!!! Congrats
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

Looks like a fine job, and you saved a ton of cash as well.....congrats! I looked into having a second ac added to mine. Dealer was going to do basically what you did. Price was around $1800. He told me to talk to his tech who would do the job. The tech outright told me to do it myself. He stated it wasn't that hard, and they had everything I needed except for the 20 amp power cord. I am still afraid to do it! I'd have to cut a hole in the back wall, and I am just scared to death to do it. BTW, where did you get your power cord? They told me to look at Lowes for a 20 amp cord, but all they have is 30 amp.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

Great write-up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Yes, I understand that if the campground pedestal does not have a 20amp service in addition to the 30 service on the pedestal, I will not be able to utilize the second AC unit. However, I don’t recall being at a campground that did not have one.
Me either, I've never seen a 30 or 50 amp hook up pedestal that didn't also have two 20 amp outlets also.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
Great write-up!!

Me either, I've never seen a 30 or 50 amp hook up pedestal that didn't also have two 20 amp outlets also.
The cg where my TT is stored only has a 30 amp and 50 amp hook-up at the pedestal.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
where [can you get a] power cord? They told me to look at Lowes for a 20 amp cord, but all they have is 30 amp.
I bought a 20 amp extension cord at either Lowes or Home Depot; you could turn that into a power cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
The cg where my TT is stored only has a 30 amp and 50 amp hook-up at the pedestal.
You could use adapters to get down to a 20 amp plug from a 30 or 50 amp, if you wanted to. One more reason that having a 20 amp breaker in the trailer (as Shorty installed) is important.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Thanks to all for your comments. I look forward to the summer to utilize the RV and 2nd AC. The basic point I wished convey is: The project was much more easy than I had expected, so don't be afraid to do what you wish to your RV.

Krackeer: Why is it necessary to "cut a hole in the back wall" to install a 2nd AC unit? Are you not going it install it through a vent in the roof? As far as a 20amp cable, I don't have one. I do have three 30amp cables, each being 25ft. I plan to do exactly what RVhiker suggested. Use adapters on each end. That will easily carry the load plus, I don't have to purchase another cord to transport. However, don't get so hung up on a 20amp cable. At max, on high fan and the compressor running, the AC unit is rated to draw 14.9amps. A good quality 15amp extention cord will handle that.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #9

The hole is where I have to take the power cord in and out. AC in roof vent...wire to back wall via wire molding....attach to power cord...power cord out back wall to pedestal. Tech at dealer said no big deal, just cut the hole and put in this thing here, and seal around it! Easy to say. Just scared.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

Nice write up and pics, very informative! Maybe when my TT grows up I can put a second unit in . I'm all about DIY projects and saving $. Good job again.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
Great write-up!!
===================
Newer resorts have only 50 Amp service. About 4 years ago I had to buy a dogbone 50Amp to 30 Amp to run my trailer. Since that time I've seen a number of power poles with just 50 Amp..
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
===================
Newer resorts have only 50 Amp service.
Fortunately they make 50 amp Y connectors that split one 50 amp plug into two (sort of) 50 amp plugs.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #13

Thanks. This is a nice thread with some great information and discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
...the one 15,000 BTU unit didn’t quite do an adequate job. As Kitty stated, the unit we had did not have enough BTU’s to cool a BUT the size of a TUB!!!

.... I then ordered a 13,500 Coleman AC unit. (No heat) I received the AC unit last Monday, April 29th.

I would like to point out that the HVAC designers felt that a 15,000 BTU unit was adequate for the size and design of the trailer. Adding a 13,500 BTU unit to the existing 15,000 BTU unit is close to doubling the capacity. That is likely overkill for any ambient temperature and humidity anyone is going to encounter in North America.

Comfort air conditioning is rarely sized for the absolute highest ambient temperature and humidity which is expected. To design for worst case conditions is neither economical or good for the environment. One of the important things that happens for comfort air conditioning is that the humidity gets removed as the air conditioning unit cools the temperature. If the temperature is reduced too quickly the humidity is not reduced and you get a clammy uncomfortable environment.

For many people it may only be necessary to add some fans to move the air around in the trailer to reduce hot spots. Fans are much cheaper to purchase and operate.

I don't know what the available standard size units are for trailer rooftops. I suggest that anyone who is considering an additional A/C unit for their trailer should consult someone familiar with sizing air condtioners before going out and buying a unit to install. In my opinion a smaller sized unit will do the job at less cost.

FWIW. vic
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Wanted to give a tip of the cap to "Shorty Cox" for this excellent write-up.

I just completed this mod and could not be happier. I used the info in this thread to install a second AC as well an outlet in the bedroom. The outlet will be used to run a 2nd oil-radiator heater.

Just would add one more tidbit....There are two indentations in the A/C basepan that need to be drilled out when the unit is installed "nose-down". I assume this is for drainage from heavy rain or condensation overflow.

Thanks Shorty.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

We had Camping World install a 2nd air in our Pinnacle. When they did, it wasn't hooked up to the duct work and only blew cold air out of the grill. Camping World told us there wasn't any duct work to hook up to. I contacted Jayco, and their techs told be that the duct work is there, but it is stuffed with insulation. Camping World corrected it and we now get the bedroom a/c to cool the living room which is nice when trying to watch TV. The thing to be careful of, the bedroom a/c added 3" to our overall height.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #16

Very nice write up
Thanks

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #17

good day, as a a/c refrigeration mechanic myself I think you did a great job
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote