Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #1

Security alarm?

I don't see this subject discussed yet so maybe it's a Promaster problem, or maybe you guys are just way too trusting. I want a burglar alarm. The vans haul Amazon packages, consumer electronics, all kinds of thief bait so I found it hard to believe that security alarms have not been available since about 2018. I mean you can't order a Promaster with one, and you can't find an aftermarket. I got a quote of $1,200 to do a custom install. Seems the computer is the problem.

So, I'm thinking a120 volt home alarm system. Magnetic Bluetooth switches on the doors and a 120 V key pad/receiver.

I know I'd have to leave the 120 V breakers closed, and I'm hoping the battery drain would be negligible since these alarms have transformers that step down the voltage like low voltage charges for cell phones, answering machines (remember those?) and other small gadgets. But what pitfalls and cow patties am I overlooking?
billley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

After driving gmc 3500 vans with the contractor bodies for 30 years, my boss man got me a promaster with the contractor body. I hate this thing with a passion, and wish somebody would steal it. Too European for my redneck a $$.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #3

You might consider Simplisafe. Their alarm is cell phone based and requires no wiring. All sensors are wireless.
At home I have motion, entry, water (sump pump), fire and low temperature alarms. The door sensors are double sticky tape type and might work for a vehicle. Would not help with location if stolen but would alarm on break in.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #4

I chose Ring Alarm and bought a used one on eBay that works well in my RV. I self monitor it by phone and email.

I didn't want an alarm that must be monitored by a company.

I converted mine from 120v with a 12v to 5v dc converter ($10).
Old 03-15-2022, 04:01 AM   #5

Is this an alarm for when it's parked at a storage? When it's parked at your home? Or when you're at a campsite/boon dogling? All of the above?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:31 AM   #6

I use my Ring Alarm at home and on the road with wifi from cell towers.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #7

Thanks Roger. SimpleSafe is what I'm thinking. A bit expensive for what it is, especially since I don't need monitoring or tracking. Not very long ago you could buy the parts at Radio Shack and do it for under $100. Time changes everything. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #8

Thanks. I'm not going to have WiFi or a cell signal. I just want something that makes noise. What immediately turned me off on Ring is the total lack of customer service. "Tech Support" doesn't know anything that's not in the online literature. It took me an hour to find out the input current was 5 volts and 2.5 watts.Looking at SimpleSafe now. Gone are the days when you could put this together at Radio Shack for $75. Glad you're pleased with Ring, and thanks for your input.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #9

All the above. I have a GPS tracker with a starter kill, so really all I need is something that makes noise.