Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #11

We sold our last fifth wheel at PPL in Houston. Yes, consignment, but it was all flawless and we did nothing but wait on a check in the mail after dropping the unit off and agreeing on sale price. I know private sales probably make more money, but I don't like people coming near my place unless pre-arranged and we know them. Sorry, we're out there, as in get greeted with a barrel if showing up unannounced. Just too much of a PITA to sell it from our area, and with me offshore, I'm not leaving my wife in charge of all that. Either way, came out about $10k more than anybody would offer on trade. It was worth it for us.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

We purchased our '12 Jay Feather 197 from a Craigslist ad. The transaction went smoothly.

Jayson 197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
Site Team

I have bought and sold on Craigslist. You just have to be wary of anyone who is to busy to look at it.
When selling something small, always meet in a public location and tell them cash or money order only.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have bought and sold on Craigslist. You just have to be wary of anyone who is to busy to look at it.
When selling something small, always meet in a public location and tell them cash or money order only.
Recently on the news here in Michigan, the state police, Sheriff and local police departments have offered up their facilities to conduct purchases and sales from Craigslist for safety. You gotta figure, if one of the parties doesn't want to conduct business at their facilities, then you probably shouldn't buy/sell to that party.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #15

Just had a local man shot when trying to buy a car off of a Craigslist ad.

I bought a motorcycle trailer two years ago off Craigslist. Met the seller at his (extremely nice) house on Lake Gaston. It looked okay when I scouted the location on Google satellite and street view and then when we pulled up. I would not do as the buyer in the news link above and meet on some remote dirt road.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

We both sold our previous and bought. Our current RV on CL. Took about a month to sell, the one we bought was on for a couple months. The key is to be very realistic in the price you ask. I would not personally pay anywhere near what a dealership asks for a private party sale. I used that same philosophy when I priced mine.

What year model are you trying to sell, what are you asking. Hopefully it's less than NADAs low value. You can try to get more, but prepared to have patience and deal with scammers and low ballers

We have also sold 2 additional cars via CL. I think it's a great marketplace if the price is right.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote