Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Selling a RV

Well we decided a little while back that we were going to trade our TT in for a bigger trailer, I spoke to a few dealers about trading mine in and all they wanted to do is give us wholesale and below for the trade so long story short we decided to try and sell it ourselves and has been a big pain in the ***.

We first decided to take it to a consignment lot south of Ft. Worth, when we got into the details of the contract it was very one sided so I dropped that idea. So we towed the trailer all the way back home and put it up and so much for a few days’ work getting it ready.

I then listed it on RVTrader and all the Craig’s Lists within a few hundred miles of DFW and so far I got a text right after listing it on RVTrader from someone who wanted to buy it for full asking price but was to busy to call and he would have his agent get with me and pick it up. I sent him a text back telling him how funny I thought he was. Then another with a link I was supposed to click on, yeah right.

Since then I have been getting calls daily from marketing companies who want me to pay them to list my RV with them because they have thousands of buyers lined up right now who want a trailer just like mine.

I just got an email from some guy off of Craig’s List who wants to see if I would let him take over payments. Do I have MORON tattooed on my forehead? That was rhetorical!

So for you folks who have been successful at private selling an RV, tell me how you did it?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #2

We live on a busy street so we just put it out on the lawn with a "for sale" sign. We sold two that way, the day after we put it out there. If you don't live on a busy street, try your local newspaper or some type of local "ad" magazine (we have something called "Bargain Bulletin." How about also putting up a notice at your local hardware store/grocery store bulletin board. We also always make sure the people pay in cash or a cashier's check.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

I agree with DebKen, we sold two trailers within a week because they were sitting at a location with high traffic volume. Got full asking on both and tons of inquiries.
Location, location!
Craig's List is where my BIL was offered a really good deal on a trailer too and it turned out to be a scam where you send the seller the money because he was out of the country etc etc... haha, he steered away from that one!
margiek53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

We finally sold our 2007 truck after unsuccessfully putting it in a vehicle (cars, trucks, RVs, etc.) lot where they charged a monthly handling/show (as opposed to consignment) fee, however we found the majority of their buyers didn't have the cash and couldn't get $0-down loans, so after 2 months and when the GMC dealer called looking to increase their used inventory, we sold it back and they made it a 'pre-owned certified' product (and could arrange loans) ~ lesson learned.

To share 'cautions' given to us: [1] Be careful when showing the RV, have other people with you (e.g., large intimidating men), [2] Always do the monetary transaction at a bank or credit union to verify validity of the cashiers check or bills, and [3] At the same time do the DMV vehicle transfer paperwork.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

I forgot to mention RV Trader. And like Hattie says -- be careful! We always did the transaction at our local AAA motor club as they have inexpensive title transfer rates.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Team

I sold my previous TT in one day on Craigslist and had two other legit interested parties.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I sold my previous TT in one day on Craigslist and had two other legit interested parties.

Like crabman I use craigslist. I have sold multiple vehicles, an atv and two dirt bikes on it with no problems...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #8

I sold my truck on Craigslist the first day I put it up for sale and had several other calls on it as well. Also had the kooks! I have sold a couple travel trailers running an ad in our local shopper newspaper that goes out to many different regions. Worked really well.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

We sold our last trailer on Craigslist as well. In the description I put no scammers or low ballers. Also put in the payment terms certified local check or cash only. I never got an offer from a scam artist. Actually had 6 interested parties. All showed up looked at the trailer, a 2012 Jayco 197, and the tow vehicles each had were way too small.

Finally had a buyer, he drove 3 hrs, loved the camper and paid my asking price in cash.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

I sold my first trailor, a Coleman PU using Craigs List. It took a little while (maybe a month) but it sold without hassle. When I bought my Greyhawk (off RV Trader, a non-dealer sale) I sold my Flagstaff Hybrid on RV trader. The OP is right that you immediately get bunches of folks trying to get you to list for money on their site, and other scammers. It did sell but it took two months or more.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #11

We sold our last fifth wheel at PPL in Houston. Yes, consignment, but it was all flawless and we did nothing but wait on a check in the mail after dropping the unit off and agreeing on sale price. I know private sales probably make more money, but I don't like people coming near my place unless pre-arranged and we know them. Sorry, we're out there, as in get greeted with a barrel if showing up unannounced. Just too much of a PITA to sell it from our area, and with me offshore, I'm not leaving my wife in charge of all that. Either way, came out about $10k more than anybody would offer on trade. It was worth it for us.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

We purchased our '12 Jay Feather 197 from a Craigslist ad. The transaction went smoothly.
Jayson 197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Site Team

I have bought and sold on Craigslist. You just have to be wary of anyone who is to busy to look at it.
When selling something small, always meet in a public location and tell them cash or money order only.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have bought and sold on Craigslist. You just have to be wary of anyone who is to busy to look at it.
When selling something small, always meet in a public location and tell them cash or money order only.
Recently on the news here in Michigan, the state police, Sheriff and local police departments have offered up their facilities to conduct purchases and sales from Craigslist for safety. You gotta figure, if one of the parties doesn't want to conduct business at their facilities, then you probably shouldn't buy/sell to that party.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

Just had a local man shot when trying to buy a car off of a Craigslist ad.

I bought a motorcycle trailer two years ago off Craigslist. Met the seller at his (extremely nice) house on Lake Gaston. It looked okay when I scouted the location on Google satellite and street view and then when we pulled up. I would not do as the buyer in the news link above and meet on some remote dirt road.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

We both sold our previous and bought. Our current RV on CL. Took about a month to sell, the one we bought was on for a couple months. The key is to be very realistic in the price you ask. I would not personally pay anywhere near what a dealership asks for a private party sale. I used that same philosophy when I priced mine.

What year model are you trying to sell, what are you asking. Hopefully it's less than NADAs low value. You can try to get more, but prepared to have patience and deal with scammers and low ballers

We have also sold 2 additional cars via CL. I think it's a great marketplace if the price is right.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote