Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2022, 04:42 PM   #1

Selling at the far end of a trip - opinions

Has anyone on here sold an RV far from home, at the distant end of a trip? Private sale or consignment? Any tips? How did it work out for you?

We plan to be at Yellowstone (if it's open!) at the end of August in our Greyhawk 31FS, and are thinking about selling it out there instead of driving it back. We fly for free with my job (Southwest Airlines), so as long as we can get to an airport we service (Bozeman, Salt Lake City, Denver...) we can get home.

Another option is to store it out there and pick up our adventure again at a later time. However, my wife wasn't happy about spending the money to buy it to begin with, and she's not sure she wants to keep it past the summer.

I appreciate any opinions or advice. Thanks!
audioflyer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
RPR

Lot of Yellowstone may still be closed then. Left Alabama on May 23 traveling through Tn. Ky. Mo. Mt. Sd. Wy. And now in Id. Dealers visible from interstate looked like inventory high in new and used. Have not found campgrounds full. May be problem selling your unit while in Yellowstone area.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioflyer79 View Post
Has anyone on here sold an RV far from home, at the distant end of a trip? Private sale or consignment? Any tips? How did it work out for you?

We plan to be at Yellowstone (if it's open!) at the end of August in our Greyhawk 31FS, and are thinking about selling it out there instead of driving it back. We fly for free with my job (Southwest Airlines), so as long as we can get to an airport we service (Bozeman, Salt Lake City, Denver...) we can get home.

Another option is to store it out there and pick up our adventure again at a later time. However, my wife wasn't happy about spending the money to buy it to begin with, and she's not sure she wants to keep it past the summer.

I appreciate any opinions or advice. Thanks!
I have, I sold my last class C on another Jayco website. They wanted to know if I could deliver it. My first thoughts were "absolutely not". But things changed the more we conversed. The buyer paid for my air ticket back home, and the motel at the halfway mark. Only 1500 miles, and I wasn't doing anything that week. And I received a great price on the class C. A word for anyone who attempts this, have your return ticket and sale money in hand. I don't think a deal like this happens very often, probably with good reasons. Audioflier, if you are set on selling at the end of your trip, maybe look into a consignment at a dealer? That would save storage fees.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Not exactly your situation, but I have done similar sales a few times- sold a vehicle to an out of state person at my residence in state. I have also a few times traded in at a dealer out of my residence state.

I think as long as you have your title (clean title no liens) in hand and find a local notary to handle the transaction; the ownership transaction should be no problem. The problems if any are going to be the responsibility of the purchaser, as you have done your part and have money in hand (you are done).

Note- I do not know if SOME individual states have title transfer requirements other than discussed above, you may want to check that in Wyoming/Idaho/Montana wherever you make the transaction.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #5

It may soon be too late, but dealers are scrambling for good used inventory. My story: I bought a 2015 Sprinter-based Winnebago 2 years ago for 75K. A month ago I put it on RVTrader for 81K hoping to get my 75K. After a few nibbles at about the 10 day mark I got a call from a dealer (another state, but 200 miles away from me) offering 75K if I would deliver. I did, they wired the money, done deal. Can't imagine what they will be asking for it!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote