Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #21

Same price on amazon.

EPA approved (cannot be sold in California)
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am trying to understand the reasons why people are supporting Hondas that much. Sorry, I am newbie...

Champion is quieter than Honda (either as 3100W model or as 2 2000W units) and significantly cheaper. Is it about reliability of Hondas? What about Champion - I did not see any terrible reviews of Champion.

BTW - this is a common standard to measure the noise from 7 meters, so Champion and Honda db number are comparable (i.e. Champion is quieter).
To answer this question, go into any Home Depot and look at the brand of small gas engines are on over 90% of their rental equipment, they're all Honda. The first couple of years Champion might be comparable to the Honda, but 10 years from now is where the extra value comes through. Simply put, in the small engine market, Honda is second to none. If the Champion is going to be only for occasional use, it probably is not worth spending the extra money for Honda durability and longevity but if you plan on using it regularly for a number of years, you will appreciate the investment.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #23

Appreciate your response. This is was I thought, i.e. that reliability of Honda results in so many proud owners. At the same time, from my brief research it results that Champion made a significant improvement in terms of the performance in the last 2-3 years. As I mentioned, Champion is quieter than Honda and even though Honda owners are claiming something opposite. I am expecting 4-5 years of the usage. So, Champion with an extended warranty may be a better option for me.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
On rare occasion we might run our TT AC when we dry camp if we had a generator that would support the load. We can't currently do that with our EU2000i so I have been watching Craigslist for a Honda 2000 companion.

Watching CL has shown me I can easily sell my Honda for $700+, and in a couple months when Costco has the Champion on sale again I can pickup a 2800/3100 inverter for the same price which can run my AC.

if you were in my shoes would you make the change?
I did the exact same thing you are asking. I sold my Honda 2000 for $850 on craigslist. My buddy had bought the Champion and we tested the noise side by side. Then we used his to see if my 15k AC would turn on. When it did, I knew I had to sell the Honda and get the Champion. It was on sale at Costco for $699 and it goes on sale every three months or so from what I can see. Great upgrade in my opinion. Best part is I bought my Honda for $899 on sale and used it for a year - not much, but it only cost me $49 for the year. Also, since I bought it at Costco, if I ever have a problem, I can return it for a full refund.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #25

Where do you store your Champion when traveling? Do you have a tray in the back? Can you move the generator by yourself? It is around 80 lbs I guess. I can handle 80 lbs, but I am not sure if the shape of this unit makes it difficult, etc.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #26

I have mine in the back of my truck - I have a shell. I can lift it, but it is heavy - not ridiculous, but I usually try and get a second person. I think moving it around is a lot easier than my Honda was since it has the high handle with the wheels. The shape and where the handles are makes it easy to move around. I have not used it while in the back of my truck, but I have thought that I could if I wanted. I would just have to open the shell windows. I have a couple of extension cords that would let me reach.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #27

I have the Yamaha EF2000iSCH and used it on my previous Jayco X213. Now that I have a fifth wheel and a 15k air, looking at one that will run it and a few other appliances.

The reason I went with the Yamaha is the fuel shut off switch. It empties the carburetor so there is no residual fuel left behind - which can result in the generator not starting after a period of time.

I am thinking that with the new whisper quiet 15k air in Jayco's that they will use less starting wattage to run it and a 3100 generator should be perfect.

Any actual experience with the new 15k air and a 3100 generator?

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 bhds
2015 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2 EFI V8
PullRite Superglide 16k SuperRails
michael16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #28

Is this a new model of the 15k aircon? Are they installing this on White Hawks?
Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #29

We have it in our Eagle HT, and it is extremely quiet. But it could also be the fact that it is ducted with no ceiling unit. I will have to go through the documentation on the actual air conditioner to see if it is more efficient than older models.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 bhds
2015 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2 EFI V8
PullRite Superglide 16k SuperRails
michael16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #30

The regular AC efficiency is not the issue. Running watts for my 15k unit is only about 1600W. The problem is starting current. That spikes at something like 25A or more. The AC's have capacitors that will 'slow' that current surge. You can also buy 'soft start' kits that are basically bigger capacitors.

That is why we could run our 13k AC on our old fiver with a 2400W Yamaha generator (just barely).

PS I am going through the same decision making process. Two 2000W genset or a 3500W.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #31

I think its great that Champion and others are coming out with great generators, but as somebody who owns 7 generators for various uses - and 3 of them are over 12 years old (and still run great) I cannot imagine buying anything other than Honda. At least with Honda I know exactly what I am getting and I know it will last forever....
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #32

I'm sorry, but the champions are just not quieter than hondas. I've owned both. You really have to read the claims carefully. I bought 2 champion 2000Is with parallel kits.
Was immediately disappointed in the sound level. They make their power at a higher RPM's than the Hondas do, which just sounds louder even if they are the same Db's

I returned the champions due to being very flaky. Start em up and one or both show over load or not generating power. No load on yet but parallel kit all connected.
Happened every time we used them. Had to turn off and wait and then start them up again. They also surged a lot then quit surging. No rhyme or reason to it. Like they were having trouble syncing up or something.

Calling champion tech support just put me on the phone with ....... well lets just saw, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Final straw was the night one quit running. the other was still running fine. checked gas, was fine, checked oil, out of oil. Other was full.

red flag alert!!!!!!

Bought the honda EU3000i, the big one, and there is nothing quieter.
From Honda specs:
Ultra quiet 49dB noise level @ 1/4 load (quieter than normal conversation)
It is truly amazing.

Plus it has an almost a3 gallon gas tank. Had to fill the champions every 5 to 7 hours. Honda runs 9 to 20 hours depending on load.

I Just didn't get the warm and fuzzy from the champions as being long term quality equipment and I need that since it will get run 36-48 hours per weekend that we are at cook offs, 15-25 time a year, that's 750-1000 hours per year, and I want that from it for at least the next 10 years. The Honda might not make it that long without major repair but I wouldn't even consider asking the champions to try. But I you only use it sparingly then maybe its makes sense for you.

Believe me, I'm not a brand snob. I wanted the champions to work out and save that extra money but it just wasn't to be.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
On rare occasion we might run our TT AC when we dry camp if we had a generator that would support the load. We can't currently do that with our EU2000i so I have been watching Craigslist for a Honda 2000 companion.

Watching CL has shown me I can easily sell my Honda for $700+, and in a couple months when Costco has the Champion on sale again I can pickup a 2800/3100 inverter for the same price which can run my AC.

if you were in my shoes would you make the change?

I did this very same thing sold my Honda for $750 and bought champion 3100 from Costco for $699. Best thing i did I love my 3100 and will never look back. As for Honda being quieter its because the Honda guys cant hear them over the sound of the register still ringing up.LOL
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #34

I have both

Honda 2000 and Champion 2800/3100 dual fuel. The Champion is VERY quiet. I cant tell much if any difference between them. I wanted the propane option and electric start. Champion is quite a bit heavier but designed where that's not an issue until you are picking it up off the ground. I'm still able to do that, but planning on some kind of mount over the front tanks or cargo holder in the back long term.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #35

I never followed through on selling my Honda for a Champion. The idea seemed a good one; then about 2 months after posting this I went camping with a friend who had a 2800/3100 Champion inverter and was excited to give it a real life test.

One day one I didn't get a chance to use it, but it did seem a little louder to to my unscientific ear. It might have been tone, I don't know exactly.

The afternoon of day two when I was going to give it a shot it struggled to start then totally seized.

We ended up sharing my Honda for the rest of the weekend.

Champion was great about it. Sent him a replacement unit with no hassle, which has now been used fine for ~2 years.

Anyway, after that I decided I already have the best generator available, and not running my AC hasn't been an issue.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #36

I'll be taking delivery of a 2018 287BHS this weekend or next and will be primarily dry camping but will need to run the A/C during summer months. I think I am sold on the Champion just for the reason you mention and price. What was your assessment from a noise standpoint running them side by side? Newbie here that has been lurking in the shadows for awhile.
BobbyJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #37

Hey we are selling are Honda 2000 companion,trying Predator 3500 Db rating 57. $659.00 Harbor Freight. We need something to run 15000 AC unit. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJayco View Post
I'll be taking delivery of a 2018 287BHS this weekend or next and will be primarily dry camping but will need to run the A/C during summer months. I think I am sold on the Champion just for the reason you mention and price. What was your assessment from a noise standpoint running them side by side? Newbie here that has been lurking in the shadows for awhile.
I have the Champion Inverter 3100. It now has about 100 hours on it with no troubles at all. It's still early in its life (hopefully!) but I do feel very good about buying the Champion. I have the remote start and we just love this feature.

I can speak to the noise concerns out there as I am a Sound Mixer. The ratings on the Champion versus the Honda are very close. In the real world they are both quiet but THE HONDA IS QUIETER by a small amount that is insignificant to me.

For me it came down to value and the Champion easily won in this category.

Good luck on your decision and most importantly congratulations on your new camper!!

Go out there and enjoy,

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #39

This one is slightly different but with a rated 64dB it is slightly louder than the Harbor Freight and Honda (59dB & 58dB). But the price and 3 year warranty!!

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3500...hampion+100264

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #40

We thought the Db rating was 57 on the Predator 3500.Any where we can double check that?We need 2900 watts to start are 15000 ac unit this summer.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
AJ NEW YRS.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote