Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

Selling your TT on Craigslist? Don't be lazy..

We are moving up to a larger TT in the spring and I have occasionally looked on Craigslist to get an idea on how much to ask for out 26BH when we sell it. I have also been looking at a newer (used) 29BHS or 28BHBE in case one pops up. What discourages me about Craigslist is the number of sellers that can't seem to list some basic information in their ad. Why is it so hard for some people to list the model number or year of the camper? Do people not realize how many different models of Jayflights' Jayco has made over the years? Get with the program, people.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #2

Perhaps you should post your message on Craigslist?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #3

Craigslist is free to use, so it is used by all types of people. Educated-uneducated. Serious-nonserious. Honest-ripoff.

If you want to use it you have to be ready for a "wild west" environment. But it has been effective for me - I sold my last 4 RVs there (in sequence: TT, Class A, hybrid, 5er).
Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Welcome to the generation of entitlement, YOU do the work "I'm" entitled to your rewards. Then when you ask either they don't get back to you or they send you a link to look for the answer yourself...

If I have to ask you obvious questions, like what does it weigh etc then you're going to be taking some money off for my time.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

Start high can always come down, we sold all kinds of stuff on Craigs list.Can not have enough pictures, we also posted are MSRP sticker.Have to be patient.We had a 40' toy hauler took a 1 1/2 years to sell!Funny guy who bought it did not even have a tow vehicle! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xx cr.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

That's what some say about my SSI, worked 50 years to be entitled to it LOL!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Craigslist is indeed the "wild west" of the local internet sales. I just don't understand how people can expect to sell their item when they can't take some time to advertise it correctly or with some due diligence. I can't tell you how many times I have seen pictures of peoples' cars they have taken at night, taken with the interior full of trash or the exterior covered in mud....just dumb. I did get luck several years ago when I sold a newer Camry with a manual transmission. Some guy drove all the way from Carbondale, IL to Kansas City because he wanted a low mileage Camry with a manual transmission. I hope the sale of our TT goes well and fast but I'm not looking forward to the emails from the tire kickers and low-ball offers.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Keep in mind that CL is also a place for trolls to list items for sale that they do not own in an attempt to swindle people. If there is limited info and the price is well below market then it's not listed most likely by the owner.

If someone is truly listing their unit for sale then most of the details are listed that real RV owners are looking for. However there are the few exceptions where people just do not know.

Also it helps to list your phone number with some letters to avoid the swindlers from overseas with relatives willing to pay more. I haven't listed something on CL in several years, but when I did 50% were cranks.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #9

The only thing that scares me with selling on CL are the scammers.

If you know the ropes enough to do it, I think you will be okay. As far as the tire-kicking low-ballers, you can always tell them you understand that this might not be in their price range, and let them pass.

I suspect it's a bit of a seller's market right now for used travel trailers, or it is in my area. When looking to buy, people would advertise their trailer for an amount that I felt was not far enough below the discounted price of a new one. On some, I was contemplating looking the next day and offering considerably less, but it would sell for close to asking price before I could pick up the phone. Or the person would advertise the price as "firm" because "that's what we owe on it." And it would sell. I recall thinking that I wasn't going to pay for the fact that the original buyer was upside down on the note, so we bought new. In fact, we paid the same for new as some friends were asking for their used unit, and we got a 2-year warranty.

So really, I think you will do okay.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #10

I just ignore those ads. If they can't take the time to put basic info about what they are selling, I don't take the time to read the ad.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #11

We just bought a new boat and sold the old one on CL. The dealer trade in value was $1200. Book value was $2000. I sold it for $5000.

I had 24 recent pics, listed the ad with all of the amenities, and made no comments about "best offer".

The first person to show up bought the boat on the first day of the ad.

Before listing it I cleaned it and polished it up so it looked like new.

Same stuff with an RV. Take a little extra time beforehand and make your ad look like you were a professional dealer listing it.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #12

It wasn't CL but a newspaper add. Some guy hijacked an add for a truck. I called the number an he met me at the house the truck was at. I thought somethin was weird when he told me not to mention callin him. I looked at the truck and because somethin didn't feel right I left. I went back to the house a day or two later without callin the number and the truck was still there. The owner said he had no idea who that guy was and told me he never put an ad in the paper to advertise the truck. He just had the for sale sign in the window. The owner wasnt askin as much as listed in the ad. So I ended up buying it cheaper than what the crook had it listed in the paper for.
And that was 15 some yrs ago so when I hear stories about CL nothin surpirses me.