Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Service

So getting closer to our purchase. Dealers are doing nice deals but is it true that a local dealer will not service it if not bought from them? And if so what are my options for service?
Seanv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

You have no obligation to use the selling dealer for service - for your tow vehicle or RV. You may find it a bit harder to get in right away, but you can use anyone. Just check with Jayco to find out if the service dealer you want to use is acceptable to them.

I purchased our TV at one dealer who has terrible service and take it to another dealer who has provided excellent service.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #3

Unfortunately, unlike car dealers, local RV dealers are also under no obligation to do warranty work on your new trailer.

It is a near lawless wild west WRT RV build quality, customer & dealer relations, and dealer & manufacturer relations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
You have no obligation to use the selling dealer for service - for your tow vehicle or RV. You may find it a bit harder to get in right away, but you can use anyone. Just check with Jayco to find out if the service dealer you want to use is acceptable to them.

I purchased our TV at one dealer who has terrible service and take it to another dealer who has provided excellent service.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Go ask your local shop if they will service your rig purchased elsewhere.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Any dealer that doesn’t want to service something purchased at another dealer is not a dealer you want to go to. If you find this, notify jayco and spread the word around on forums and tell your friends and neighbors. Name names. Its the only way to get those dealers to change for the better.

On a side note, those dealers will change once people hear the problem, then don’t buy from them, thereby the dealers service department has no work. They will have to change.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Any dealer that doesn’t want to service something purchased at another dealer is not a dealer you want to go to. If you find this, notify jayco and spread the word around on forums and tell your friends and neighbors. Name names. Its the only way to get those dealers to change for the better.

On a side note, those dealers will change once people hear the problem, then don’t buy from them, thereby the dealers service department has no work. They will have to change.
Many of the better dealers don't service units they don't sell because they are usually swamped taking care of their customers both in and out of warranty. JAYCO even preaches"Buy Local" for that reason.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Many of the better dealers don't service units they don't sell because they are usually swamped taking care of their customers both in and out of warranty. JAYCO even preaches"Buy Local" for that reason.
True statement. We bought our TT locally from a high volume sales dealership and there was a wait to get our trailer in for some warranty work when we first got it.

Even now I call well in advance for general service or inspection. But I have seen units from out of the area in as well so our local dealer does work with customers, just bring your patience.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #8

Think of it this way. Your the owner of the dealership and you promise your customers you will service them if anything happens. Now think of someone that you have never seen or heard from calls and wants service tomorrow. Are you willing to stop and service him?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:

I agree with buying local but when their service is junk (and that's being nice about it), you need to find another service provider that cares about their work. I purchased our TT at one CW, but delivery service was poor and slow (3 days prearranged, didn't start for4 hours after appointment time to move WD hitch (and the tech said they gave him 2 other jobs before he was given my truck) and then only after I started to make sure everyone coming in for service heard about it). They didn't provide a sales receipt (11 calls over 4 weeks and it still took a call to CW corp office in KY to get it finally sent. And the sales manager chewed me out over the phone about my calling corp.) And then there is the television mount they stuck up on the wall with mastic. Started to fall off the wall, luckily when we were in the TT.

Another CW service dept has provided excellent service. Handling all warranty and work.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

I believe one of the problems dealers have doing warranty work on RV's is that the companies only pay a flat rate on repairs and it isn't profitable for them. So if they didn't sell a unit originally they are reluctant to do those repairs. I had a dealer friend that told me about that and showed me repair manuals that listed the rates for various repairs.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #11

Around here it is simply a volume thing. All of the RV repair shops are booked out at least a couple of weeks, and during winter it can be even longer.

So, yes, they will service their customers on a priority. They will work on other units but you may have to wait longer for an appointment.

And, no, they do not suffer from lack of business, quite the opposite. But, then again, we are in the snowbird belt so there is more service work than some other places. They also do not seem to lack in the sales department either.

OTOH, there are at least two indpendent RV service shops in this area, neither of which does sales. So, other alternatives exist. Difference is you may have to do the warranty paperwork yourself, and take the risk of Jayco not paying the full amount for warranty work.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
I agree with buying local but when their service is junk (and that's being nice about it), you need to find another service provider that cares about their work. I purchased our TT at one CW, but delivery service was poor and slow

Another CW service dept has provided excellent service. Handling all warranty and work.
I wouldn't put CW in the "buy local" catagory since they are Nationwide with one owner.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
I wouldn't put CW in the "buy local" catagory since they are Nationwide with one owner.
They may be a chain store, but each unit is individual on how it handles customers.

I've had excellent service in Flagstaff, AZ, Albuquerque, NM, and Lake Park (Valdosta, GA). None were my selling store, but they have professionally taken care of servicing (both warranty and non-warranty) in a timely manner. And other I've spoke with who have used their services speak highly of these CWs.

My selling store was Macon, GA, where the service department couldn't change a WD hitch mount on the trailer for over 4 hours on a set appointment, broke a bolt when they finally mounted the ball mount for the sway control, didn't set the WD system up correctly (just slapped the brackets on and didn't tighten), and screwed up mounting a television bracket (used mastic and 1/4 inch screws.

Sales manager didn't supply a bill of sale and took over a month to provide it. I finally got it when I contacted the corp. office in Bowling Green, KY. And the sales manager chewed me out over the phone for contacting corp.

Even though I pass this store every time I drive from home (southern GA) and Atlanta, I refuse to stop at this store and make sure everyone who asks hears about the poor customer service.

Not all CW are problems. I agree there are too many with poor service out there, but you can find good ones out there. And when you do, make sure you get the word out.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
They may be a chain store, but each unit is individual on how it handles customers.
I agree, however one CW will not tell a customer from another area or state that they will not schedule you in for service since you didn't buy at that store. CW services everybody. That is not the case at many local, independent dealers, "their customers come first".
Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #15

We bought local cause they do service their customers first.
The next available dealer was 600 miles away
No thanks
Turns out our dealer does excellent repairs

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote