Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
tld

Setting long-term on Leveling Blocks

In reading comments from tire manufactures, they all recommend that your tires don't set for long periods of time on dirt or asphalt. So, to park my trailer for several months in one spot, I'm trying to decide whether to use boards or
if the "Lego" type of leveling blocks would be okay. Since the leveling blocks have cutouts on their surface with somewhat thin ridges in between that actually support the tires, I'm wondering if it would be hard on the tires to set for long periods on the leveling block? Appreciate any info on this.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

I have been camping for 20 plus years and used the leveling blocks with no problem.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
In reading comments from tire manufactures, they all recommend that your tires don't set for long periods of time on dirt or asphalt. So, to park my trailer for several months in one spot, I'm trying to decide whether to use boards or
if the "Lego" type of leveling blocks would be okay. Since the leveling blocks have cutouts on their surface with somewhat thin ridges in between that actually support the tires, I'm wondering if it would be hard on the tires to set for long periods on the leveling block? Appreciate any info on this.
We sit for 5 to 6 months a year and never had an issue with the leveling blocks..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

Our trailer sits year round in the same spot with one side on concrete and the other on a pile of wood blocks. When I get ready to move it it will get new tires.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

This year I’m testing how my tires respond to sitting on my Anderson levelers for the entire winter season

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

I have a silly question. My storage area, where it is parked over the winter, is limestone gravel. I've wanted to put the tires on "legos" or boards this year but I also have to jack the trailer up high to get off the ball. I'm worried that it'll take off without wheel chocks. Should I be worried? Once it is off the ball, I can lower the tongue to near level but a little worried about the "dismount".
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #7

Setting long-term on Leveling Blocks

I wouldn’t unhook without wheel chocks. I️ use the lego type leveling blocks and they dont get in the way of using chocks.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #8

As you should be. Unless I screw up and forget to put down chocks before unhitching, I never unhitch with out chocks.

Early on in my TT towing days, I did forget to put down shocks. When I lifted the tongue off the ball, the trailer rolled back and the tongue jack slid off the boards I had under it. Fortunately, nothing was damaged that time, and I was able to raise the tongue high enough to rehitch.

Lesson learned. I then chocked the wheels and unhitched again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
I have a silly question. My storage area, where it is parked over the winter, is limestone gravel. I've wanted to put the tires on "legos" or boards this year but I also have to jack the trailer up high to get off the ball. I'm worried that it'll take off without wheel chocks. Should I be worried? Once it is off the ball, I can lower the tongue to near level but a little worried about the "dismount".

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

Redenbacher, I have a similar situation to the one you describe. Forgot the chocks once, and whole trailer rolled back a few feet dragging the tongue jack. Didn't wreck anything but once it's moving there's nothing you can do to stop it. I sure looked stupid hanging on to the cargo door and swearing.

I use the chocks now. If the trailer doesn't roll onto them, the chocks are really easy to remove when it's time to move....
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #10

I have the Andersen leveler and lego blocks but prefer for winter storage to use a 4 ft long piece of 2 X 10 treated wood. Past experience in Illinois found the freeze/thaw cycle sinks other types of support into the crushed stone.

I only have to use 2 pieces on the lower side so not a big deal. Had Lowes cut up a 12 footer into 3 pieces.

Not really sure if it would effect them, but don't like to expose plastic long term to the sun.

By the way, Chocks! always. I had a little popup run away one of my first time out 35 years ago. The last thing I do after unhitching is take off the chains-- only after the hitch is off the ball.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #11

I use plastic stacking blocks to level when I travel. At home I use wood so my plastic blocks don't get ruined from weather exposure.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #12

Good thread, easy to miss that step.