Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #41

Setting Up

That is exactly why I moved up to a Class C. Back in, auto level, hook up, carpet down chairs out. About 10 minutes with little effort
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #42

I don’t have any problems setting up or taking down camp, usually have it set up and ready for a campfire in 15-20 minutes. Takedown takes about 30 minutes, still not bad.

All in all, setup and takedown is part of the experience, but so much better than shuttle buses from airports to hotels, dealing with TSA, and squeezing in an airplane hoping the overhead bins don’t fill up before you get on the plane, just to be delayed because of rain in your connecting city!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:20 AM   #43

After 50 years of tent camping we got a pop-up. After a year of that experience nothing is that hard about a TT. That little Palomino was really nice, but we travel a lot on trips and rarely stay in one place for more than a night or two. All the set-up and tear-down was tedious, time-consuming, and sometimes frustrating.

Now our little 16XRB takes about 15 minutes from finding the site to being fully functional. Ruth is a great spotter and that is 80% of the work. We have a long detailed list of what to do and in what order for set-up and tear-down and we do it exactly the same every time. Ruth has her jobs and I have mine and never the twain shall meet. Routine, routine, routine until we could do it in our sleep.

Set up and tear down is not hard but rain makes it uncomfortable and snow makes it cold and uncomfortable. If needed we use a huge but light beach towel to clear the tent roof of water or leaves, working it from side to side. The most difficult part for me is hooking up the hose, especially while standing on my head while trying to connect it to a bib stuck face down in the mud two feet underground in an old five gallon bucket.

Somehow I have trouble threading the hose to the camp water and the trailer. I finally discovered a trick that has made that process much easier. I spin a 90 degree connector onto the trailer water inlet and then attach the hose to the connector. It's easier than trying to turn the bulky round plastic fitting on the trailer.

In short, by the time I typed all this I could have set up, pulled up a chair, and have fun watching people come and go. Can't wait for spring!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:17 AM   #44

Same here! After 20 years in a popup, 20 minutes after arriving at the campsite I'm sitting down feeling like I forgot something.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8erfxr View Post
Same here! After 20 years in a popup, 20 minutes after arriving at the campsite I'm sitting down feeling like I forgot something.
haha Great feeling isn't it? : )

In our wanderings we found a really cool little museum of all things Kermit the Frog in your neck of the woods where Jim Henson grew up. Fun getting a picture of wife and me sitting in the big green lap.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
haha Great feeling isn't it? : )

In our wanderings we found a really cool little museum of all things Kermit the Frog in your neck of the woods where Jim Henson grew up. Fun getting a picture of wife and me sitting in the big green lap.
Thanks for letting me know! We've lived here for 11 years and I've never heard of it. Definitely on the list now.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #47

My wife is an incredible partner. We just seem to get better and better at settling up and taking down. The only time that isn’t fun is trying to set up in the dark when it’s pouring down rain, lightening, and the mosquitoes are eating you alive!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 AM   #48

We agree with Lucy. Setting up is actual cathartic, part of the RVing fun. My wife sets up the interior and I setup the outside. 30 minutes and we are sitting outside enjoying life.
Although we must say that tearing down is much less fun!
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #49

Started with the Wenzel 10 x 16 tent, 2 popups and 3 Class Cs later, it's always been a challenge, with or without the help of family and friends, still loving it regardless of the hiccups we may have experienced along the way, now retired and looking forward to even more 'experiences'! The RV is definitely the one with the least amount of setup and packup, 10-15 minutes at most! Would agree the end of the trip back at the house is not the favorite part, as it may take 20 to 30 minutes.
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
That is exactly why I moved up to a Class C. Back in, auto level, hook up, carpet down chairs out. About 10 minutes with little effort
Absolutely!

And if it's raining or whatever, I don't even worry about it. We are completely self-contained, so I will wait out the rain.

Setting up/tearing down in the rain was one thing I hated about the trailer...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #51

As a seasonal site guy since day one of my RV ownership's, I wouldn't know the stresses of setup/teardown. LOL!
I turn the water on, propane on, unlock the door and grab a beer! 30 seconds max.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #52

After 8 years of owning a pop up and having issues with the electric lift, setting up and taking hours to break down and put everything into bins I had enough. Then we got the RV trailer. I love it. All I do now is back it in or pull thru, add the water, plug in the plug, do the awning and the sewer line. I do a little maintenance since things don't sit well on counters but setting up the counter is no big deal. What took hours with a pop up now takes less then 30 minutes. Awwww the life. We do some pre tripping to save ourselves time at home but once at the camp site I get down to business of what to do for the rest of my free time.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #53

The thing about setup and packing is that you can make it fun, you can make it a chore, you can decide to make it take a long time. It all depends on what you want out of the overall experience. I've seen people with pop-ups take a minimalist approach and only take 15 minutes to setup. I've seen people with class A motor homes take 2 hours.

We can and have setup in 20 minutes. Our normal setup time is 1 - 1.5 hours. This includes awning lights, twinkle laser lights, whirligigs, unloading bikes from the truck, and setting up our Automatic Chef over the fire pit. We usually don't put up the whirligigs for shorter trips. I do outside setup, my wife does the inside.

Breakdown is usually less than an hour. The whirligigs, Automatic Chef, and other non-essentials are put away the night before.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #54

Kiss

I find less is best. Hookups, awing and couple of chairs.
Once after a 4 month stay, it was like a bedouin camp. It took me over an hour to take down the extra canvas, out door cookers, lights and a cumulative stuff.
ml4moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The thing about setup and packing is that you can make it fun, you can make it a chore, you can decide to make it take a long time. It all depends on what you want out of the overall experience.
I completely agree. Like most things, it is what you make it.

I find that if my son is out "helping" me, we have a good time. Typically he's inside with his mom though. He has toys that "live" in the camper, and he's always excited to see them again.

When DW is not around, he hangs outside with me. He follows me around asking questions the whole time. "What's that? Why do you do that? Ew, that's gross! Why do we need that?" It's a hoot! AND he's getting pretty good at actually helping me!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #56

We have a 23 ft RL SW that we set up in about 25 to 30 minutes. I back it up while she directs me in. I do the outside leveling and hook up the water and electricity while she does the inside slider and awning and loads the fridge. We set up a couple chairs and are outside carpet and bang we are ready to go. A real Breeze compared to setting up our old pop ups or even or hybrid. Sure we have unexpected events but we take our time about it, don't rush or get into a panic, and it just seems to flow really well. Tearing down in the rain is no big deal, if you think it is try tearing down a pop up in the rain. When home we walk in with our dirty laundry bag full and empty the fridge into a cooler that is carried in the house and put away. No mess no fuss no bother. I mow the lawn while she does laundry, take a shower, and then hit the Lazy Boy for the rest of the evening. We camp to have fun and relax, not to stress ourselves to death over a set up or tear down.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #57

We have a full hook up seasonal camp spot.....We travel the month of May, before school is out for the summer, then leave again in September, after school begins again. We use our seasonal spot - April, June, July, August and Oct/Nov. We have an annual lease, so we store our RV under cover during the winter. Our view of the Ohio river near Lamb Indiana. Lots of usage with no setups and months of usage with minimum setup - RV'ing at it's best!
Attached Thumbnails
20180825_074636_resized.jpg   20180824_190214_resized.jpg  
Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperStu View Post
good point rain can be a problem - if rain is coming on a Wednesday then i am packing up most of my gear on a Tuesday, maybe i am not leaving until Thursday.. get most of the gear away.
Rain is why we sold our popup and bought our TT. Haha. Ever setup and breakdown a popup in pouring Rain? Then try to sleep dry that night?
loriemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms
;726022snip...
Ever setup and breakdown a popup in pouring rain? Then try to sleep dry that night?
Yup! Manged to keep the kid dry and comfortable. DW and I, not so much.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #60

We have had a system, a method to our madness, from the time we met 17 years ago, It takes us maybe 20 minutes to complete the task, but the task is enjoyable, And now that we bought the Embark, the time will be cut in half. This coach just about sets the outdoor stuff in place for you! But seriously, the prep, the travel, the set up, it's all part of the camping trip, we love every moment of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Embark at home.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote