Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #61

after 45 years tent camping setting up and breaking down camp is a breeze, we have it down to 15 mins set up and lazily pack up,
HappyCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #62

We used to have a pop-up which was annoying to set up because all the bedding had to be unpacked and the food had to be transferred from a cooler to the fridge. If it was raining it was a race to get the tent ends stretched over the ends, and the awning had to be unzipped and pulled out by hand, etc.
Now that we have a TT it is so much quicker and better. In addition we sometimes change how we set up. For example if we are camping for more than 2 nights we have some decor that we set out. We don’t always hang awning lights either. If we are too tired when we arrive all we really need to do is the outside set up (level, water, electric) because the bed is already made and the indoor set up can wait!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #63

Setting up and tearing down is all part of the fun. Most of the time I have the 5th wheel parked and set up before the DW is off work. She takes care of the inside and me the outside. Get out what you need when you need it and then put it back were it belongs. The rug, chairs and table for cards and games are the main things to set up. I like getting set up early so I can watch others set up. Our son camps with us most of the time so 2 years ago when he bought his own (30') 5th wheel we quit talking when setting up(he is 25) and when a young kid pulls in and gets ready to back in everyone is watching and waiting for the show. He can back like no other. I have heard others tell there husbands to go get lessons from him so we can have a extra hour to camp. The hardest thing is getting the beer cooler out of the backend of the truck so if you leave it on the tale gate Friday night it is lighter to lift off on Saturday. The cube (Direct TV) gets set up on Saturday if we need it but most weekends it is left in the basement and not set up we try to catch the news on locale channels just to see what the weather will be. When it is time to leave walk around the outside twice once looking up (slides in ,slide toppers rolled up correct, doors and windows close and the steps folded up) and once looking down before pulling out that way you get all of the blocks tow mirrors pulled out and make sure storage doors are locked for travel.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #64

Setup and tear down

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
Curious to know if you enjoy this aspect of RV life, or do you find it tedious, annoying, stressful or fun.

Talking about positioning the RV on the site, hooking up everything, setting the lawn furniture, and then packing it all up and doing final inspections.
At first it was all a bit overwhelming, but over time you get so good at it that it breezes along. It’s not the best part of the RVing life but it is part of it. We’ve learned to laugh at the snipping that goes on when we’re in an especially difficult location to park while at the same time hubby and I are a good team, he drives and I help him navigate into the spot. We work together to unhitch and level, then he handles the duties outside while I put out the slides and get the inside ready. Then we relax and enjoy the fruits of our labor. And an adult libation!
Acaltag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #65

Setting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
Curious to know if you enjoy this aspect of RV life, or do you find it tedious, annoying, stressful or fun.

Talking about positioning the RV on the site, hooking up everything, setting the lawn furniture, and then packing it all up and doing final inspections.
It's all good. Just part of the territory. Just take your time and enjoy your stay. A checklist will help you make sure you didn't miss anything.
Bob James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #66

Setup does not take me all that long but much long than most as I am still relatively new to it all. The past weekend we went out and I was all setup outside in about an hour. My wife mostly will leave me alone and keep the toddler entertained as he would slow things down considerably. I generally have all the chilled food in the fridge and the master bed made before we leave. This last trip out my wife put some of the inside stuff away which I also normally do before I made our customary pizza on the Friday night (easier for me to do after getting there and setup).

When it comes to tear down, as the trailer is kept at a storage lot, I pack up the trailer and put everything that comes home into the truck bed (laundry, cooler with left over chilled food, etc), finish the washing up and putting stuff away, then clean the trailer. I then pull in the slides (after checking the roof and cleaning if needed), I then move on to unhooking the outside etc. In total pack up this last weekend took me about 3 hours, I think I have done it slightly quicker. My wife does seem to get a bit uneasy that I do the lions share of the work and this last time out stripped all the beds and got the laundry all ready to go, as well as set the bunkhouse into travel mode as well. There was no playground to keep the kid entertained so I am sure that increase the time needed to pack up. If we could keep it at home then I would put stuff away and hook up and go in about 1 hour I guess.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
We have been setting up and tearing down for 16 years! After getting situated on the sight, my wife either reads a book or takes a short walk while I level, hookup utilities, and put out the slides. She will then setup the inside while I finish the outside. The tear down is just the reverse order. I will start tearing down somethings the night before we leave just so the morning is not so hectic. Everything you do camping is enjoyable with a great partner!

^^This^^
Big1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #68

If I am in that big of a hurry to get home I SHOULD have stayed home.. I start in the morning and we leave when it is all stowed away..
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #69

We plan ahead for camping. Our TT is parked at our house so there is no real rush. I will start to load stuff in the trailer on Wednesday. I will load in some frozen and cold food and reload the used things in the pantry. Thursday check the generators and fill the water tank turn on the hot water tank and make sure every thing works like it should: heater, A/C, check batteries, propane and the like. Friday after work hook up, we load the frig, clothes and dog stuff. Down the road we go. I do not spend too much time doing these things except for Friday. After typing this out sounds like a lot of time, but it is not. I only get out what we need at the camp site. Propane lanterns if boondocking and the small BBQ grill. Chairs, table and the genny if we need them, but not most weekends. I have two batery banks, two 12 volt interstate batteries that came with the camp trailer and 2 6 volt trogan 105s that we bought for the traded in camp trailer. Also we have a 65 or 70 watt home made portable solar panel that helps keep the batteries topped off.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #70

I'm lucky. I have a 12 year old grandson that loves set up and tear down. I pretty much just sit and watch. He tells me he has a certain way of packing everything and doesn't want me to mess things up.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote