Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Setting Up and Packing Up

Curious to know if you enjoy this aspect of RV life, or do you find it tedious, annoying, stressful or fun.

Talking about positioning the RV on the site, hooking up everything, setting the lawn furniture, and then packing it all up and doing final inspections.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

In our case, setting up amounts to positioning the trailer on the site and making it level, putting the stabs down, hooking up water and electric, setting up two lawn chairs and a small table and cracking open the first beer. Takes about 15 minutes.

Easy Peasy Nice and Easy.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Most campouts, we need 30 maybe 45 45 minutes, that includes backing into the site. Our htt bunks, add a few minutes to make both beds.

Tear down, might take a little longer, but we putz at all morning.

The part I dont l like is cleanup once we get home. That too might be 30 -45 minutes, hauling in bedding, clothing, frig items.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 PM   #4

We have as much fun with the setup and the rear down as being there. We’re still new enough that we have to try all 8,000 ways of getting the gear laid out, fussing with the solar setup and playing with our puppy.

It’s all good for us.
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #5

We have been setting up and tearing down for 16 years! After getting situated on the sight, my wife either reads a book or takes a short walk while I level, hookup utilities, and put out the slides. She will then setup the inside while I finish the outside. The tear down is just the reverse order. I will start tearing down somethings the night before we leave just so the morning is not so hectic. Everything you do camping is enjoyable with a great partner!
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #6

Tedious. I go about it methodically but have a terrible heat tolerance - anything above 70 and I'm uncomfortable - so I always have to spend that first hour after setting up cooling down and then taking a shower. Not bad on the return because we're home sweet home, but man, that set-up. Sucks, but I've been this way all my life. If it's cold I don't mind it at all though.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #7

I enjoy it IF it all goes well w/o any hiccups or fubars, then not so much.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #8

I enjoy the challenge of backing in. I have a 30' trailer and the look on my neighbors face when I stab it on the first run or two is great. I have had people pull up a chair to watch and then complain that I did it without issues. People offer to move their cars and I decline to accept the challenge. only lost one (1) time. its fun, and stresses the wife out more than the trip. win win. is that a bad thing?
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I am truly blessed to travel with an amazing partner who can literally do just about anything. My wife was a school bus driver for a decade and can back a trailer better than most men. We agreed years ago, that if we got a boat she has to help me drive it, back it, clean it, etc. She gladly agreed and I tought her how to back a trailer within our first year of marriage.

So for the last 13 years, she's helped drive the TT, boat, flatbed trailers, etc. so that either of us is comfortable doing any job necessary on any toy/vehicle. So we have an arrangement now that we recently upgraded to a Class A. We leave around noon for our weekend travels and I work from the dinette while she drives us to where we go. It saves me a vacation day, since I can work while we travel, and we both get experience driving the rig, her there and me on the way back. As for the setup, we have our duties, and we both execute simultaneously and then regroup under the awning for a cold beverage within 15-20 minutes of arriving onsite.

In short, I enjoy the setup and take down. I like the challenge of getting the rig in the spot and situated, getting it setup and then exploring, which is the reason I came in the first place.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Setting up is ok. Breaking down is a pain, but something that must happen.

Worse is having to break down the site in the rain, especially cold rain.

But they are chores I will endure to enjoy the time between set up and breakdown.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #11

Probably takes us a good half hour. Once I am backed in and level, unhook and put the slides out, wife has her set up inside and I complete set up outside. I do some heavy stuff inside like put recliners in position and bedroom tv up on dresser, but she handles the rest. We do carry a lot of cooking stuff with us as I enjoy cooking outside so I get all that set up and then the Directtv setup. We take our time and enjoy it all. That's what it is all about. It is just as much a part of camping as the sitting by the fire enjoying a cold one.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #12

I'm lucky. I have a 12 yr old grandson that goes with us almost every time we take out the trailer and he loves set up and tear down. He levels the trailer, hooks up everything and tells me not to do anything. He says I might not do it right! I just sit in my folding chair and watch.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #13

I find it tedious, but setting up is a form of tedious I really don't mind.

Breaking camp isn't really hard, just disappointing since I know that means the trip is over.

What I really don't like is cleaning afterward, but that's part of owning a camper. I remind myself that if I clean it well just after the trip, it keeps it nice longer and it's also pristine for the next trip.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #14

I've learned over 60-years of camping not to get in a hurry. I take my time and enjoy being able to do the work at hand.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
Curious to know if you enjoy this aspect of RV life, or do you find it tedious, annoying, stressful or fun.

Talking about positioning the RV on the site, hooking up everything, setting the lawn furniture, and then packing it all up and doing final inspections.
I'd have to admit that setting up/packing up for our INITIAL trips with our TT were stressful. We had done A LOT of camping (tent campers & class B) and we had done A LOT of towing (boats & delivering TT & 5th wheels) so we were very comfortable with ALL that, but getting comfortable setting up/packing up with the TT took a while.

Like others, I am generally responsible for most of the 'outside' stuff and the DW handles the 'inside' stuff. Pre-trip, I am responsible to be sure the furnace, fridge, water systems, electrical stuff, and the trailer running gear are all ready for us to leave home.

Getting ready to depart a campsite, I drain the tanks and disconnect and stow the sewer hose and freshwater hose(s) while inside the DW stows the coffee maker and dishes and fastens the doors and chairs. Then we both bring in the outside table and chairs and stow them. Then I check the inside doors etc. to be sure they are ready to travel. We then bring in the slide.

With both of us outside, we connect the TV to the TT and then disconnect the power. We check the trailer lights and both of use do a final walk-around to be sure the rig and campsite are ready for us to depart.

We both have a good handle on what the other needs to do when arriving or departing. We also agreed LONG ago that neither was exclusively responsible for either the 'inside' or the 'outside'; each checking on the other, visually and/or verbally, was the best way (least stressful way) for us to share responsibility and maximize the enjoyment.

(I left out our arrival because I feel that is much more flexible. And, except for backing in and leveling , less stressful.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
We have been setting up and tearing down for 16 years! After getting situated on the sight, my wife either reads a book or takes a short walk while I level, hookup utilities, and put out the slides. She will then setup the inside while I finish the outside. The tear down is just the reverse order. I will start tearing down somethings the night before we leave just so the morning is not so hectic. Everything you do camping is enjoyable with a great partner!
Amen, after 30 years in various rigs, we have a ROUTINE. No unwasted motion, no trial and error, about 15 min in and same time out.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #17

I only have 2 stressful moments and that’s when I have to bring in the awning and the slide. Now I bring in the awning the day before ( just in case there’s a problem). On the slide I carry an extra motor & gear box and can do a change out in 15 minuets or less. I’ve seen a few slide out problems on departure day and one didn’t make it.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #18

After a few years of doing it and learning to leave myself plenty of time so I don't have to rush the process I don't mind doing it. It is work as my grandson attested to when he went camping with us the first time. After we set up he said "grandpa, this is work." My wife and I will start preparing a few days before we leave. When I get to the campsite what I could rush to get done in 30 minutes I'll spread out of two hours and on the day we're leaving I'll slowly start putting things away over the last couple of hours.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #19

For me, its breaking down the plumbing. Namely making sure both grey and black are full, dumping the black. Flushing out the black until I don't see anymore 'stuff'. Then dumping the grey. Takes awhile to 'not see any stuff'.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #20

Thanks honey!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote