Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Severe leak in our camper! 2021 Northpoint

Purchased Northpoint 2021 about 6 weeks ago.

Unit was delivered and put in a permanent spot, where we visit 6-10 days a month.

During last fridays storm, we received heavy leaking in two spots...one directly underneath one of the A/C units and the other in the corner above the window.

There was a lot of water that was expelled our of the A/C vent, constant stream. We have pics and video.

Along with the leak came intermittent power outages in our camper. Our neighbors did not experience any loss of power at all, so we are assuming the leak resulted in the outages.

We have since placed a tarp over the A/C unit on the roof but are very concerned that some water has leaked in while we were not present in the camper prior. Wondering just what damage has been done that we can not see...inside walls, under floor etc.

Jayco has said that nothing can be done until we take the unit in for evaluation. I find it disturbing that we would have to pay to have it moved back to the dealer given what we paid initially just a few weeks ago. Our dealer has not even called us back.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Drowning in Bloomington
aharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
RJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharvey View Post
Purchased Northpoint 2021 about 6 weeks ago.

Unit was delivered and put in a permanent spot, where we visit 6-10 days a month.

During last fridays storm, we received heavy leaking in two spots...one directly underneath one of the A/C units and the other in the corner above the window.

There was a lot of water that was expelled our of the A/C vent, constant stream. We have pics and video.

Along with the leak came intermittent power outages in our camper. Our neighbors did not experience any loss of power at all, so we are assuming the leak resulted in the outages.

We have since placed a tarp over the A/C unit on the roof but are very concerned that some water has leaked in while we were not present in the camper prior. Wondering just what damage has been done that we can not see...inside walls, under floor etc.

Jayco has said that nothing can be done until we take the unit in for evaluation. I find it disturbing that we would have to pay to have it moved back to the dealer given what we paid initially just a few weeks ago. Our dealer has not even called us back.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Drowning in Bloomington
I also have a seasonal site with for our Jayco RV. I have found it a easier to have a mobile tech come to us and just pay the bill. So far it has all been less expensive than moving the unit to the dealer but at least we don’t loose time using the unit which has value to us. I have read issues with ac units leaking because the mounting bolts were not tight and the window may need clear caulking, both very easy fixes for a mobile tech. If he finds something significant then go back to the dealer. Just a thought………
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I also have a seasonal site with for our Jayco RV. I have found it a easier to have a mobile tech come to us and just pay the bill. So far it has all been less expensive than moving the unit to the dealer but at least we don’t loose time using the unit which has value to us. I have read issues with ac units leaking because the mounting bolts were not tight and the window may need clear caulking, both very easy fixes for a mobile tech. If he finds something significant then go back to the dealer. Just a thought………

Thank you RJR! I appreciate your reply and makes total sense.

My frustration is paying anyone for anything at this point! It's brand new...you get the idea. I guess it's part of the real world but it's frustrating.

Also, were you not concerned about internal damage to your unit due to the leaking?

Thanks again! Nice of you to respond.
Allen
aharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you RJR! I appreciate your reply and makes total sense.

My frustration is paying anyone for anything at this point! It's brand new...you get the idea. I guess it's part of the real world but it's frustrating.

Also, were you not concerned about internal damage to your unit due to the leaking?

Thanks again! Nice of you to respond.
Allen
I would be beyond pissed!! Brand new unit, come get it and fix it! hate reading this as we are waiting on our 2021 Pinnacle
Old 06-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
RJR

We did not have the same issue so no leaking, but have had issues that were resolved by a mobile tech relatively quickly. They can also assess any water issues for you and if serious go back to the dealer for more extensive repairs. None of us like paying for a repair that is covered under warranty, however with the overwhelming demand I don't want to give up time at my seasonal site when I can have it fixed on site for a relatively low expense....I know is sucks but it's the lesser of two evils.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
We did not have the same issue so no leaking, but have had issues that were resolved by a mobile tech relatively quickly. They can also assess any water issues for you and if serious go back to the dealer for more extensive repairs. None of us like paying for a repair that is covered under warranty, however with the overwhelming demand I don't want to give up time at my seasonal site when I can have it fixed on site for a relatively low expense....I know is sucks but it's the lesser of two evils.
I understand what you are saying, it just galls me to see a brand new very expensive unit doing this. With a car you can eventually turn it in under lemon laws if it is that bad, not with our expensive traveling homes. We live in eastern NC. and I don't think there is such a thing as a mobile RV tech, lol. That is what worries me as the dealer, who so far seems to be ok but is a good 5 hours by car, probably 6-7 with the RV. Thanks for your response
Old 06-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I understand what you are saying, it just galls me to see a brand new very expensive unit doing this. With a car you can eventually turn it in under lemon laws if it is that bad, not with our expensive traveling homes. We live in eastern NC. and I don't think there is such a thing as a mobile RV tech, lol. That is what worries me as the dealer, who so far seems to be ok but is a good 5 hours by car, probably 6-7 with the RV. Thanks for your response
A quick search and I found a few mobile techs just northwest of Greensboro...

Tar Heel Mobile
RVRX Mobile
Fatheree & Son Mobile
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Did you ask if there was a Mobile Tech in the area that they work with?

As to moving it that would be between you and the dealer since they sold it to you knowing that it was be put on a permanent site. JAYCO sells them based on the premise that you have a tow vehicle to move it.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post

Tar Heel Mobile
RVRX Mobile
Fatheree & Son Mobile
Thanks, I will archive their name although that is a good 5+ hour drive to where we live.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #10

Water leaks are the worse. The AC maybe a simple fix. There are 4 bolts that tend to loosen up upon the 1st few trips. If this is the case it is an easy fix. Snug them up, but do not over tighten. You may need to tighten them up over the years. Once tight you have to replace the seal.

The window is a bit more of a pain, but not hard. I recommend two people. Person on the outside, just make sure the window does not fall out. Person on the inside remove the screws and inside frame. Push the window out to release it. Inspect, approprately caulk and install. I suspect they use butyl caulk. Don't use silicone caulk, or you will have issues forever.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post

Tar Heel Mobile
RVRX Mobile
Fatheree & Son Mobile
Lol, up early this morning and did a local search, and lo and behold, found a couple of local mobile companies.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #12

I’d call Jayco back, explain the situation and ask them to authorize a mobile tech due to time, distance and convenience. They may just surprise you.
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #13

It might be worth while to get a mobile guy that is not the dealer to look at it and see what the issue is, so if you do have to take it to the dealer, you know what needs to be done to make sure the dealer doesn’t do it halfway.
Wowens79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #14

Leak

2 things: Do a utube search RV A/c leaks and also email Service@jayco.com
and ask for a Service Tech under warranty. I have had great service from Jayco for the past 12 years with various issues some being major. In most cases it is in all about how your approach them. Leave the sour grapes out of the conversation and be humble with them.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #15

We had a similar situation where the AC unit was not bolted down tightly and water came in. We had an independent service company fix and we paid for it out of pocket. We then sent the bill into Camping World who submitted it to Jayco and Jayco sent us a check for the repair.
bmcevers_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #16

@aharvey ... I feel your pain! My husband and I took possession of a 2021 Eagle FBOK in March. We left on our fiirst trip in May. Here is a list of the crap we are dealing with:

1) Master Bed Slideout Leaked.
2) A cabinet door was installed incorrectly and broke off first time we opened it.
3) The BIG ONE: The 2nd axel is bent so severly that our tires went 80% bald from the inside out after only 3000 miles.

Worst Part: After a month, Jayco hasn't decided if they will cover the axel and tires ($3000). And, we are still waiting on the cabinet door from them.

I am apalled and extremely disappointed in my $80,000 Jayco Fifth Wheel.
Stacy from San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy from San Antonio View Post
@aharvey ... I feel your pain! My husband and I took possession of a 2021 Eagle FBOK in March. We left on our fiirst trip in May. Here is a list of the crap we are dealing with:

1) Master Bed Slideout Leaked.
2) A cabinet door was installed incorrectly and broke off first time we opened it.
3) The BIG ONE: The 2nd axel is bent so severly that our tires went 80% bald from the inside out after only 3000 miles.

Worst Part: After a month, Jayco hasn't decided if they will cover the axel and tires ($3000). And, we are still waiting on the cabinet door from them.

I am apalled and extremely disappointed in my $80,000 Jayco Fifth Wheel.
The axle would be covered by DEXTER. Personally I would follow-up directly with JAYCO to see what's going on. Have your vin# ready.

The door may take awhile since JAYCO doesn't stock spare doors, they never did. Cabinets etc come in as needed for production and as has been mentioned a lot COVID has everything screwed up.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The axle would be covered by DEXTER. Personally I would follow-up directly with JAYCO to see what's going on. Have your vin# ready.

The door may take awhile since JAYCO doesn't stock spare doors, they never did. Cabinets etc come in as needed for production and as has been mentioned a lot COVID has everything screwed up.
We had to have cabinet doors and drawer fronts replaced last fall and it was minimum 6 weeks lead time. They have to schedule that with existing production work.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #19

aharvey, I’m sorry to hear about your issues. You posted back in June and I don’t see a recent update. Did you get it resolved?
I see you are located in Bloomington, IN which is not really that far from Middlebury. If you still need repairs I would contact Jayco and see if you could make an appointment to bring it back to the factory. I know you can do this for motorized units but I’m not sure about towables. To me it would be worth it to have it repaired where it was made. They built it and have the expertise at hand whereas your dealer is a jack-of-all-trades and most likely a master-of-none. It’s worth a call. If they can’t do it then you are no worse off. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
aharvey, I’m sorry to hear about your issues. You posted back in June and I don’t see a recent update. Did you get it resolved?
I see you are located in Bloomington, IN which is not really that far from Middlebury. If you still need repairs I would contact Jayco and see if you could make an appointment to bring it back to the factory. I know you can do this for motorized units but I’m not sure about towables. To me it would be worth it to have it repaired where it was made. They built it and have the expertise at hand whereas your dealer is a jack-of-all-trades and most likely a master-of-none. It’s worth a call. If they can’t do it then you are no worse off. Just my 2 cents.
I would second contacting Jayco to see about getting repairs done since OP is only about 4+ hours away and better than the closer alternative. However, taking a unit back to Middlebury doesn't mean you are "taking it to the factory". The service center, although located in the vicinity, it is a separate entity and subject to some of the same limitations as other service centers. Found that out on 2 recent trips we have made up there. They do their own scheduling, which can be months out. Their technicians don't build the units they only fix what has already been built. And they make mistakes. Granted they likely have more direct access to engineering, etc.. If you have never been there it is not a very big facility. Just a thought.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking, power outage, water damage