Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

Sewer hose education

I’m new to this so bare with me. I bought a used RV, the hose was in good shape, so the dealer left it with the sale. Its an ez coupler starter kit, my questions are, 1) can another brand attach to the valterra brand or are the couplers different? 2) like cabling wire has different gauges of wire, does different sewer hoses have different thickness of hose covering? Look forward to hearing from you.
Greyhawk29mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #2

The sewer hose connectors are all the same standard so they are interchangeable. Sewer hoses are relatively inexpensive, so I recommend buying a new set. The last thing you want as a newbie is a broken stinky slinky in the middle of emptying your black tank!

There are definitely better grades of hose material. We bought a set of Camco Rhino Extreme hoses with the clear sewer elbow from Amazon ($45) and a clear 45 degree elbow. We keep the lower quality freebie the dealer gave us in the storage tote as a backup.

You should also have the sewer hose support as some campgrounds don’t allow sewer pipes on the ground.

Good luck!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_James View Post
You should also have the sewer hose support as some campgrounds don’t allow sewer pipes on the ground.
I use a plastic rain gutter that I bought at HD. They come in 10 foot lengths. I cut into two sections, one 6 foot length and one 4 foot. That makes it adjustable and more easy to store. The sewer hose fits it perfectly and prevents kinking. Works like a charm and was a lot cheaper than those sold in RV stores.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

Great idea, very creative thinking.
Greyhawk29mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

X2 on the Camco RhinoFLEX hoses. They are tough and built to allow you to “shape” them as needed. And they collapse into a short length to fit in our TT bumper. You might still want to invest $30 in a hose support. They compress into a box less than a foot square and give you lots of flexibility. For instance, we’ve had sites where the terrain dipped down before rising to the sewer inlet. Hose support makes it work. Money well spent.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote